Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Double-Din H/U’s, Multiple Monitors, & Navigation (Pics here)

Old 01-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts
Default Double-Din H/U’s, Multiple Monitors, & Navigation (Pics here)

I’ve received a few PMs during the last month asking if it’s possible to display navigation from an “all-in-one” double-din devices (devices that have navigation, DVD players, and LCDs) to a remote screen. Obviously people asking this see the advantage of a better viewing angle (as you get with the Z’s OEM navigation) with the upper/forward cubby (vs. the lower DD slot where you mount these “all-in-one” DD Navigation/CES devices).

Generally, the answer is NO.

I say generally because some devices (the Pioneer AVIC-Z2 as an example, can do this), but the image isn’t good. That’s because the AVIC-Z2 LCD is a VGA monitor and its A/V output is composite (NTSC) video. So even though it will display its navigation image on a remote monitor, there is no support for touch-screen function on the remote monitor, and the image is poor (RGB/VGA converted to NTSC looks pretty bad).

With this said, there is a solution, and it comes from Kenwood (using all Kenwood components so you don’t need to worry about incompatibility issues). One great feature of the Z is its many cubbys where you can install various A/V components, and this solution is perfect in the Z.

The Components:

The Double-Din H/U: Kenwood DDX7019 (you could use some others from Kenwood; I show this one as an example).

The Remote LCD Screen (that you mount in the Z’s upper/forward cubby): Kenwood KOS-L702

The Navigation Box that you mount in one of the small/rear cubby slots: Kenwood KNA-G510

The controller box that you use to connect the H/U DD device, the remote monitor, and the navigation box creating your great system: Kenwood Controller KOS-V500

So what does this provide?

1) Navigation display on either of the two (or more LCDs) with touch-screen support

2) DVD output to any of the LCD screens

3) Lightning fast navigation because the Kenwood KNA-G510 is a solid-state device using “flash memory” with no moving parts

4) Instant updates via Internet

5) Great versatility

--Spike
Old 01-23-2008, 02:28 PM
kspec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write up! this helps me out like a million helpings of out
Old 01-23-2008, 02:56 PM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spike great write up for introducing the KOS product from Kenwood. This product has been available for over a year now, but it seems that people are finally become aware of it. The only issue I see in your write up is having to use a Kenwood DD Headunit. The KOS product is not designed to be used with a Kenwood DD video headunit as it is a headunit itself. Think of it as a DDX7019 without the DVD slot. The idea set up for this system would be the KOS-V500 and the KOS-L702 mounted in the upper cubby with the factory head unit left in place. Now I hope this all makes sense. At this point the system itself is now the KOS system and the factory radio is just another source in the system just like the tuner would be or ipod would be. Any amplifiers or speakers would go connected to the KOS-V500 as would any other additional video inputs and outputs. Also any external devices would also go connected to the KOS-V500 like the Navigation unit, Ipod, Satellite Radio, DVD player and even the factory radio speaker outputs would go connected to the KOS-V500. So what you end up with is a aftermarket system that is controlled by the upper monitor, that gives you the ability to play navigation through it and the factory radio acting as another source for when you want to listen to a cd. Hope this makes sense.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:14 PM
Ichigo

thank goodness there's still audio companies out there that havent been sucked up by Directed Electronics. great write up spike
Old 01-23-2008, 04:35 PM
davidz33

Great write up!
Seems like a nice setup~
But, I think I'm gonna wait to see the capability of dnx5120 (I heard this unit shoots out the nav video)
Old 01-23-2008, 05:02 PM
Spike100

Duke,

Thanks for the clarification. I mention the Kenwood DDX7019 (and of course there are similar units available from Kenwood to fit different configurations and price-points) in my thread only because it is a terrific unit that would support navigation by adding the Kenwood KNA-G510, and using only these two pieces together to get the fastest guidance available for car navigation.

I took the scenario to another level when I mention the Kenwood KOS-L702 LCD Touch-screen Monitor and the Kenwood Controller KOS-V500 in conjunction with the Kenwood DDX7019 Double-Din H/U. As you point out, this isn’t a necessary part of the solution. I should have explained this more clearly since it adds to the cost and it is not a requirement. Reading my message, some might arrive at the conclusion that the system is too expensive and complicated, and choose a competing “all in device” (e.g., Eclipse or Pioneer) because it costs less than the Kenwood system I described and is more easily installed.

In fact, Kenwood has a great “all in one” device (the DNX7100) and is releasing new “all in one” products that cost even less (competing with lower-end units from Eclipse and Pioneer). Kenwood’s advantage on the “all in one” DD devices is its navigation component (which is a “solid state flash drive” that is faster than HDD-based navigation and much faster than DVD-based navigation).

With this said, I prefer a component approach when configuring a CES, and Kenwood does this best. I like components (separate H/U, navigation box, LCD monitors, and a controller) because I can swap out a component when a newer or better device becomes available without losing my entire investment. Kenwood is a smart choice here because they provide the easy “all in one” solution (on various price levels to meet consumer requirements) as well as a component configuration for the more demanding buyer.

Well crap… once again I’ve managed to create a very long message that hardly anyone is willing to read, and probably managed to go onto another dozen or more ignore lists.

--Spike
Old 01-24-2008, 03:56 AM
StreetOC192

Spike, you may have given me an idea.........
Old 01-24-2008, 03:49 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
Spike, you may have given me an idea.........
Street… “The suspense is killing me.”

What is your idea?

I am interested in your ideas (I respect your advice after reading some of your knowledgeable posts) since I am seriously considering pulling my current setup and replacing this with the core-system I describe above (post #1). The KOS System from Kenwood offers a plethora of installation options that adapt well to the Z’s various cubby spaces and favorable mounting positions for a great component installation.

--Spike
Old 01-24-2008, 04:19 PM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spike if you are interested in installing this system in your car let me know. I have been looking for someone to actually install this in there Z, so people can understand what this product really can do. PM me and we can discuss this. It will not be free product, but I can assure you it will be worth it.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:40 PM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by Spike100
Street… “The suspense is killing me.”

What is your idea?

I am interested in your ideas (I respect your advice after reading some of your knowledgeable posts) since I am seriously considering pulling my current setup and replacing this with the core-system I describe above (post #1). The KOS System from Kenwood offers a plethora of installation options that adapt well to the Z’s various cubby spaces and favorable mounting positions for a great component installation.

--Spike
Well, I am going for a SQ install right now, but I do miss the navi I had in my Xterra. There currently are no double DIN full screen headunits with high SQ and dual PEQ's and 3-way crossovers. So I was thinking I can use the single DIN SQ headunit I have yet to decide on and add on the KOS processor/navi unit/touch screen in the cubby. Very similar to what you have above. I have so many ideas flying around in my head for my install I change my mind almost daily.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:53 PM
Spike100

^^ Same here...

--Spike
Old 01-24-2008, 05:21 PM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by Spike100
^^ Same here...

--Spike
Glad to know it's not just me. Thanks for posting this. It's good to see people think outside the box.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:03 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by THEDUKE
Spike if you are interested in installing this system in your car let me know. I have been looking for someone to actually install this in there Z, so people can understand what this product really can do. PM me and we can discuss this. It will not be free product, but I can assure you it will be worth it.
PM sent.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:29 PM
Spike100

Glad to know it's not just me. Thanks for posting this. It's good to see people think outside the box.
Street, I’m trying to comprehend all of these Kenwood KOS system features. It seems too good to be true.

Here’s a scenario using the Kenwood component installation I describe above (post #1 on this thread): You are driving a distance, need navigation, and want to provide your passenger with entertainment (maybe a DVD movie for this example).

Of course, playing a DVD movie that displays to the driver while the car is in motion is illegal in some States, so you need to deal with this. A solution (but check your local laws) is fabricating a shield that clips to the left side of the Z’s forward/center console, blocking the driver’s view to the DD screen where you output the video image (on the Kenwood DDX7019 Double-Din H/U’s LCD, see the picture above). Any good fabrication shop can make this screen-shield (but again, check local laws).

In this scenario, you simultaneously display your navigation to the LCD in the upper/forward cubby (on the Kenwood KOS-L702 LCD, see above). You don’t want your DVD display here since it is likely a flagrant violation (that might attract the attention of an enthusiastic Smokey passing or following your car).

My point: The Kenwood KOS system provides a level of function and features you cannot get from competing systems.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 01-27-2008 at 07:37 AM.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:06 AM
StreetOC192

Yeah there def is some flexability with that unit. You are aware there is a Kenwood Excelon KOS-V1000, right?
Old 01-25-2008, 07:13 AM
davidz33

Only KOS-V1000 supports dual video output <-- did I get this right?
Old 01-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Spike100

Yeah there def is some flexability with that unit. You are aware there is a Kenwood Excelon KOS-V1000, right?
Yes. Here is a link where you can download the Kenwood KOS V-1000 Instruction Manual:

http://inform3.kenwoodusa.com/manuals/kosv1000.pdf

It's a big file (8 megs).

--Spike
Old 01-27-2008, 06:33 AM
3FIDDYZED

Hi Guys,

I am running the DNX-7200 unit, same as the US 7100 unit and I am wanting to add a 702 screen to the upper cubby.

I know with the 7200 you can add a second display but can you send the SatNav image to the 2nd screen so you can have constant SatNav on the upper cubby and then IPOD / Tuner on the 7200? Or is it the case you can run the satnav only on the 7200?

Thanks in advance for your help and assistance,

Mark
Old 01-27-2008, 08:43 AM
Spike100

Mark,
Unfortunately I think I may have posted some confusing stuff that is misleading people.

I don’t think (99% sure) you can output navigation from your DNX-7200 to anything except the unit itself. So, you can’t send the navigation image to a remote monitor.

For sure you cannot send the image to the KOS-L702 LCD. This monitor only has a proprietary connection designed to connect to Kenwood factory integration components (KOS-V500 or KOS-V1000).

The idea with the KOS-L702 LCD is you connect this to a Kenwood Advanced Integration A/V Controller (either the KOS-V500 or KOS-V1000), and build your system from there. The two together provide touch-screen support on the KOS-L702 LCD for devices you connect to the Advanced Integration A/V Controller. There is also a handheld IR remote control allowing operation without using the touch-screen.

You expand the system by adding components, and these are also operated as described above. For example, if you want navigation, you connect the Kenwood KNA-G510 (G520 in your case) Navigation Box. You also can connect a variety of A/V devices including your car’s OEM H/U.

--Spike
Old 02-01-2008, 06:03 PM
anstkdgma

Makes me change my audio system. 0_0

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Double-Din H/U’s, Multiple Monitors, & Navigation (Pics here)