Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Double-Din H/U’s, Multiple Monitors, & Navigation (Pics here)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 06:03 PM
anstkdgma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes me change my audio system. 0_0
Old 02-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by anstkdgma
Makes me change my audio system. 0_0
I understand what you are saying.

Right now I’ve got a pretty decent system (Clarion H/U, Power Acoustic LCD, and Garmin navigation), but it’s disjointed. I say this because I’m using 3 different remotes (one for the Power Acoustic LCD screen, a second for the Clarion H/U, and a third for the Garmin GVN52 navigation box).

If I install the Kenwood KOS system, I can control all of my CES with a single remote, or simply use the touch-screen on Kenwood KOS-L702 LCD monitor. Nice.

There is obviously great interest in using the Z’s upper/forward cubby. I say this because we see so many threads on my350z.com asking if you can install a DD device in this position (of course that is not possible), and recently someone asked if it’s possible to put a single-din device here (and again, it’s not possible).

I’m very tempted to install a Kenwood KOS system in my car with pictures and a write-up. The KOS system is a perfect fit for the Z car with its multiple cubby slots that adapts so well to a component installation (as provided in the Kenwood KOS system installation). Obviously I am biased, preferring Kenwood, but that is only because Kenwood provides superior products and the most flexible installation options.

--Spike
Old 02-13-2008, 09:45 PM
bluezup

so how much would it cost to run a setup like this + installed?
when it comes to car work i can handle it myself as long as i have the right tools laying around. but when it comes to anything electronic/audio, most i ever done was install a single din hu in a accord.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:36 PM
folgrz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

the units alone are like 3.5k for everything not installed
Old 02-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by bluezup
so how much would it cost to run a setup like this + installed?
when it comes to car work i can handle it myself as long as i have the right tools laying around. but when it comes to anything electronic/audio, most i ever done was install a single din hu in a accord.
Pricing, as always, depends upon how hard you shop and where you buy. A system consisting of these Kenwood products…

KOS-L702 touch-screen 6.95” monitor
KOS-V500 system expansion controller
KNA-G510 Navigation Black Box

…will cost you anywhere from $1250 (best deals) to $1500 (average street prices) to $1800 (SRP). However, you can start the installation for considerably less (about a third of the total cost, but more about that later in this message).

If you want more A/V connectors, you can use the Kenwood Excelon KOS-V1000 controller in place of the KOS-V500 controller. Both controllers have a receiver for playing terrestrial radio stations.

Remember the concept here. You are buying a central controller to which you can connect almost any device you already have including your existing H/U. So you keep all your current components (external amps, SubW(s), speakers, CD changer, DVD player, etc.) connecting these devices to the KOS-V500 system expansion controller, and operating the devices using the KOS-L702 touch-screen 6.95” monitor or the KOS IR handheld remote control. And, The Kenwood KOS system is about the only way you can get touch-screen control of your CES using the upper/forward cubby space in a Z.

The basic paradigm of the KOS system is expansion and centralized CES control. The essential component is the KOS-V500 system expansion controller (or its upgrade, the KOS-V1000 controller). The perfect marriage is the KOS controller with the Kenwood KOS-L702 touch-screen 6.95” monitor. These two together allow you to operate your entire CES with either the touch-screen or a handheld IR remote control. You then build the rest of your system as your budget permits or your needs change.

But say you want to spend less, a lot less, but still get started on a KOS system. You can leave out the navigation component, and add that later when your budget allows this. That saves around $500 (street price). Another way to save on the initial investment is installing a 7” LCD NTSC composite video monitor in place of the Kenwood KOS-L702 touch-screen 6.95” monitor. Of course doing this won’t give you touch-screen function, but you can still operate the system using the KOS handheld IR remote control. This saves $300-$400 (street price). When and if you want touch screen support, you simply swap out the NTSC composite video for the KOS-L702 touch-screen monitor.

EDIT: You need an adapter (accessory from Kenwood) when connecting Kenwood's proprietary 20-pin video controller to a non-Kenwood LCD.

I mention these price-saving options because it reduces the price of the system by up to $700, but allows you to begin your CES build-up.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 02-14-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:27 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by folgrz
the units alone are like 3.5k for everything not installed
The cost for the basic Kenwood KOS system components (KOS-V500 system expansion controller, KOS-L702 touch-screen 6.95” monitor, and KNA-G510 Navigation Black Box) is much less than your 3.5k price quote (maybe closer to one-third this if you shop). The “street price” for the KOS components is no more than $1,500.00 (and probably less).

Mentioning the Kenwood DDX7019 Double-Din H/U and the Kenwood DNX7100 Double-Din “all-in-one” H/U in my initial message on this thread was just an awful mistake on my part that seems to be confusing people. In fact you don’t need these (the Kenwood H/U’s I mentioned) at all in the Kenwood KOS system. You can keep your stock system (H/U and the speakers), or an aftermarket H/U plus other components you may have added.

The single most important premise of the KOS system for the Z is the fact you can mount a 7” (Kenwood prefers defining this as a 6.95”) LCD touch-screen monitor in the Z’s upper/forward cubby-compartment (for the best viewing angle). I don’t know of any other way you can do this (a 7” monitor in the upper/forward cubby on which you can control your car’s CES using touch-screen function). In addition to touch-screen function/control, the KOS system also has an IR handheld remote control that you can use for CES operation. That’s a nice add-on feature since your passenger can operate the system using the handheld remote without reaching across (and distracting) the driver’s “space/view.”

Here is a good Kenwood KOS setup (where you have touch-screen support, navigation, and a KOS controller that you can use for control of your entire CES). The LCD monitor is inside the Z’s upper/forward cubby. The cost for these components is $1,250 to $1,500 “street price."

KOS-V500 system expansion controller

KOS-L702 touch-screen 6.95” monitor

KNA-G510 Navigation Black Box

--Spike
Old 02-19-2008, 01:59 PM
folgrz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

my bad.... i was looking at crutchfield (they are always a little more expensive) and put everything that you listed into the shopping cart and it came out around 3500$

jumped to the conclusion to quickly...... now this setup is in view for me!!
Old 02-20-2008, 04:58 PM
bluezup

spike, by far this has the be the best thread iv ever read on audio components for the z. (maybe i havent read enough, but i think its great)
i just got into a accident and as soon as my car is back from the shop, i will be upgrading my audio. i was actually thinking about getting the stock nav for the z, would be alot cheaper finding a used set, but i think with the usage of the kos v500 and the touch screen you get from the L702 is worth the extra money. hows the navi functions and features on it?
would you perfer getting a dd h/u like kenwood dnx7100 or a upgraded kenwood dd hu? or the kos systems?
i wanted to go with the 2 lcd screens in my car, one where the stock hu is and another where the cubby is with the kos system. im not to fimilar with kenwood products, but is there a dd kenwood hu that plays dvd in good quality that you can refer me with? a hu that doesnt come with navi, i wouldnt need it due to the fact that ill have the kos system already with navi in the upper cubby. one with a reasonable price, nothing too expensive but nothing to cheap.
thanks
Old 02-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Spike100

If you want to go with 2 LCDs consider buying one of the current Kenwood DVD double-din devices. Since Kenwood is about to release some new products, the current (“old”) ones will soon be bargains. You won’t lose anything as far as features are concerned, since the Kos System has all the connectivity you need.

One double-din DVD LCD unit that might become a great buy is the Kenwood DDX6019.

--Spike
Old 02-21-2008, 09:41 PM
bluezup

after much discussion with spike,(thanks alot man ) iv decided to go with a dual lcd screen display,
a screen in the upper cubby(where the oem navi should be)
with the Kenwood KOS-L702. in this unit i will be useing it to display my navi+back up camera.
the navi unit ill be using is the Kenwood KNA-G510
the back up camera ill be using is the Kenwood CCD-2000
and as for the double din head unit, im going with a unit that provides dvd,touch screen,and all those other functions you expect out of a dd unit made by Kenwood(expect the navi function, WOULD NOT make sense to pay more for a unit that has navi when i plan on using the upper cubby screen for it already)
the head unit i decided to go with is the Kenwood DDX6019 fair in price for what its capable of doing.
and to run all these together, i will be using the Kenwood KOS-V500.
i dont think i need to explain how it works, spike has already did a good write up on the whole KOS system, but with all the features you can add, it gets easy to understand how it all works if you just take the time to read.

after calculating everything, for all the units i would have to buy for this, im estimating it would cost around $1400-$1800. i did my shopping, but not for long i just wanted a estimate. and would have to say if you really know how to shop, you can get the whole kos system going on for around $1300-$1500?

but for everyone to see the results of all this, might have to give me about 3 weeks to a month. my car is in the shop for the next 2 1/2 weeks, due to an accident this monday... o wells the shop owner is gonna replace my oem exterior parts with all nismo, so cant complain just yet

Last edited by bluezup; 02-21-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:23 AM
Black Spider

Keep us updated. I'm very interested in how this all turns out for you. Good luck.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:10 AM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

after much discussion with spike,(thanks alot man ) iv decided to go with a dual lcd screen display,
a screen in the upper cubby(where the oem navi should be)
with the Kenwood KOS-L702. in this unit i will be useing it to display my navi+back up camera.
the navi unit ill be using is the Kenwood KNA-G510
the back up camera ill be using is the Kenwood CCD-2000
and as for the double din head unit, im going with a unit that provides dvd,touch screen,and all those other functions you expect out of a dd unit made by Kenwood(expect the navi function, WOULD NOT make sense to pay more for a unit that has navi when i plan on using the upper cubby screen for it already)
the head unit i decided to go with is the Kenwood DDX6019 fair in price for what its capable of doing.
and to run all these together, i will be using the Kenwood KOS-V500.
i dont think i need to explain how it works, spike has already did a good write up on the whole KOS system, but with all the features you can add, it gets easy to understand how it all works if you just take the time to read.

after calculating everything, for all the units i would have to buy for this, im estimating it would cost around $1400-$1800. i did my shopping, but not for long i just wanted a estimate. and would have to say if you really know how to shop, you can get the whole kos system going on for around $1300-$1500?

but for everyone to see the results of all this, might have to give me about 3 weeks to a month. my car is in the shop for the next 2 1/2 weeks, due to an accident this monday... o wells the shop owner is gonna replace my oem exterior parts with all nismo, so cant complain just yet
There is actually a better less expensive solution for you. If you only want to use the upper screen for Naviagtion and back up camera you do not need the KOS-V500 and you will need the LZ-702W instead of the KOS-L702. This set up will get you exactly what you are looking for and save you money.
This thread should help you.https://my350z.com/forum/audio-builds/261207-new-installed-ddx8019-w-lz702w-touchscreen.html

Last edited by THEDUKE; 02-22-2008 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:21 AM
bluezup

THEDUKE, what would be the difference doing it your way, and doing it with the KOS system?
your way seems to be alot easier to setup im very interested
and would it be a good ideal going with the ddx6019? or should i get a newer ddx h/u?

Last edited by bluezup; 02-22-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:06 PM
Spike100

Duke is correct. The LZ-702W would be a less costly setup since your plan is to also install a double-din unit with an LCD screen. As Duke mentions, you could simply connect navigation (Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Box) and your backup camera to the LZ-702W monitor.

The KOS system is better suited to someone who already has components installed, but needs additional connections. A good example is a Z with a stock H/U. In this instance installing a KOS controller (KOS-V500 or KOS-V1000) and KOS-L702 touch-screen 6.95” monitor allows you to easily add additional components without replacing the stock H/U (or, as in my case, an older aftermarket H/U that lacks some newer features such as iPod support, HD radio, etc.).

Another advantage the KOS system provides is a much simpler wiring configuration. This is especially true in the Z with its generous number and sized cubbies located behind the driver and passenger seats. Anyone who has stuffed a bunch of wiring for a complicated CES behind the dash’s tight space, and then run these wires through the transmission tunnel probably agrees.

Here’s a scenario demonstrating my point above. You have a Z with the stock radio and want to add an IPod, USB, HD radio, satellite radio, a DVD player, one or more external amps, and maybe a rearview camera. That would be a challenge (if not impossible with the Z’s stock H/U). That means replacing the H/U. But doing this still leaves you with a lot of wire, several harnesses, and a potentially frustrating experience cramming all of the wiring behind the dash, and then running much of it through the transmission tunnel.

Compare this to installing a KOS system. The KOS-L702 monitor goes into the upper/forward cubby, and the KOS controller is placed in one of the large rear compartments. You connect the two with a single line and its harness. So far so good; and, this is where the wiring and installation becomes much easier. The remaining components (amplifiers, DVD player, HD radio receiver, satellite radio receiver, etc.) are installed in back near the KOS controller saving a big headache running, fitting, and connecting the wiring. It’s a lot easier working in the back than in the Z’s tight space behind the dashboard.

Please keep us posted on what you decide to do. You have an interesting project.

--Spike
Old 02-24-2008, 12:34 PM
bluezup

thanks again spike.
was just wondering, how many cameras are we able to use outside of a car?IF i do decide to just get the LZ-702W, would i be able to use a backup camera and another camera placed somewhere else and still be able to see through both cameras in the 702W's screen? (not at the same time of course)
Old 02-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Spike100

thanks again spike.
was just wondering, how many cameras are we able to use outside of a car?IF i do decide to just get the LZ-702W, would i be able to use a backup camera and another camera placed somewhere else and still be able to see through both cameras in the 702W's screen? (not at the same time of course)
The Kenwood LZ-702W has a hideaway box that supports three AV inputs: Navigation input (NAV) plus two composite AV inputs (AV-IN1 and AV-IN2). The navigation input (NAV) is a proprietary connection for the KNA-G510 Navigation Box. The other two AV inputs support composite video, such as a DVD player or a rearview camera. You can toggle the display using the touch screen function or the [V-SEL] button.

The AV Inputs

NAV: This displays the image from KNA-G510 Navigation Box if you set this to RGB in your initial setup. If you set this to AV-IN1 in the initial setup, you get the image from the device attached to the AV-IN1 composite connection in the hideaway box.

AV-IN1: Displays the device you attach to the AV-IN1 composite video connections in the hideaway box. This is the connection you use for a DVD player or a second camera that you do not want to view as a “reversed image” or display automatically when you put your car into reverse gear. In other words, you probably do not want to connect your rearview camera to this port since you have better options with the next connection (described below as AV-IN2).

AV-IN2: Displays the device you attach to the AV-IN2 composite video connection in the hideaway box. This is the connection you want to use for your rearview camera since you have the option of selecting a reversed “mirror-image” in your initial setup. You can also use the setup menu to have your rearview camera come on automatically when placing the car into reverse gear (if you wire the camera for this feature).

I realize that this a confusing read (I need to improve my writing skills ), but it all makes sense after installing the LZ-702W monitor and its hideaway, and then running the initial setup. The device’s setup is very intuitive and simple.

--Spike
Old 02-25-2008, 06:42 PM
bluezup

Originally Posted by Spike100
The Kenwood LZ-702W has a hideaway box that supports three AV inputs: Navigation input (NAV) plus two composite AV inputs (AV-IN1 and AV-IN2). The navigation input (NAV) is a proprietary connection for the KNA-G510 Navigation Box. The other two AV inputs support composite video, such as a DVD player or a rearview camera. You can toggle the display using the touch screen function or the [V-SEL] button.

The AV Inputs

NAV: This displays the image from KNA-G510 Navigation Box if you set this to RGB in your initial setup. If you set this to AV-IN1 in the initial setup, you get the image from the device attached to the AV-IN1 composite connection in the hideaway box.

AV-IN1: Displays the device you attach to the AV-IN1 composite video connections in the hideaway box. This is the connection you use for a DVD player or a second camera that you do not want to view as a “reversed image” or display automatically when you put your car into reverse gear. In other words, you probably do not want to connect your rearview camera to this port since you have better options with the next connection (described below as AV-IN2).

AV-IN2: Displays the device you attach to the AV-IN2 composite video connection in the hideaway box. This is the connection you want to use for your rearview camera since you have the option of selecting a reversed “mirror-image” in your initial setup. You can also use the setup menu to have your rearview camera come on automatically when placing the car into reverse gear (if you wire the camera for this feature).

I realize that this a confusing read (I need to improve my writing skills ), but it all makes sense after installing the LZ-702W monitor and its hideaway, and then running the initial setup. The device’s setup is very intuitive and simple.

--Spike
thanks, i was planning on putting in 2 cameras. one for reverse, and the other one i wanna somehow someway mount it right behind my front bumper somewhere, aiming kinda low enough to see when im coming up on a parking curb,bumps and dips, and a lil high enough so i can see ahead through the mouth/grill area. think something like this is posible?
was kinda worried about water or flying debree,sand rocks ect.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:22 PM
Spike100

^^ That’s very possible, and it provides a fun and useful view of what’s ahead that you wouldn’t otherwise see. I did this on an off-road vehicle I used for rock-crawling and other hard duty. I didn’t experience any problem with road debris damaging the camera or its lens, but had to do frequent cleaning in wet weather and dirty roadways (when it was almost useless).

You could connect the forward-facing camera to the LZ-702W, or to the lower double-din monitor if you install the second LCD screen. Connecting to the lower screen is an interesting concept since you could have two views displaying simultaneously (front view and rear view, or navigation and front view).

--Spike
Old 02-26-2008, 03:11 AM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

so is there anyone distributor that sells these together or have you found you will need to peice it together for the best price?
Old 02-26-2008, 08:36 AM
bluezup

peicing together is probably the best way to go. you can find good deals online, or better yet, the #1 online place to find cheap stuff = ebay.

Quick Reply: Double-Din H/U’s, Multiple Monitors, & Navigation (Pics here)