One of the best sounding cars i have done so far :) 06 G35 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 03:57 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default One of the best sounding cars i have done so far :) 06 G35 Coupe

hey guys...well, i finally had the chance to do a proper SQ install in a G35, a car that i have worked on over 40 times in the last three years lol...and i am happy to say that,this car turned out to be one of the bets sounding cars i have ever done to this date, maybe the best, definetly top three

the goals:

1. Superb sound quality
2. maintain a lowkey and stealthy appearance.

the signal chain starts with a clarion DRZ9255 cd player, whcih is linked to a 6 disc clarion changer. it is installed in the stock location via the JDM double din finisher. For those who dont know, the DRZ9255 is one of hte best sound quality decks current made, similar to other top of hte line decks from macintosh, denon etc:
http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...294764151.html

the front stage is a pair of Seas Lotus Reference 6.5" two way components, for hte midbass, the stock door location was considered, but we felt that the stock door, with its big piece of plastic, is too prone to rattles and buzzing, even with significant amounts of dampening in it, infact, this particular car, has dampening in the doors on both sides, and still exhibited plenty of buzzing in particuar frequencies...annoying to say the least

so I made a pair of kick panels for him. I deviated from my usual kick panel deisgn for G/Zs, and instead, extended the mold from the factory kick panel down and outoward, to give a much larger back mold, this gives the kick much more internal air space and also can aim it more axis without taking up as room.

here they are:

here are a coupla build pics on the kicks, note they are open bakced to vent into the stock kick area and carpet, and a crap load of modeling clay, along with dampening, resides in each kick panel to kill resonance. (if you are famaliar with van ayken clay packages, i used 7 packages between the two). the whole thing was then wrapped in blacke suede for a stealthy, understated apperance.

the reference tweeters were installed off axis in the stock A pillar location, i played with a few location ideas, including on axis by molding off of hte little dash vents you see, but in the end, settled on this location, as it gave pretty dran nice stage height and depths.

the stock A pillar material was impossible to duplicate, its basically a grey/beige flocking, all the material i can find was either too gray or too beige, so instead, we decided to match the dash and doors with black vinyl.

two build pics showing the A pillars, molded, and then vinyled:

as the car features zapco DC reference gear, the tuning cable for the amps comes out of hte center console, and plugs into a laptop for tuning:

and finally, a full snapshot of hte front:

moving to the trunk ,again, the idea here is just to do a clean stleathy install, no emphasis on showy, or lighting or any of that...here is the view when you open the trunk initially:

a modified 4080enclosures subbox sits on the driver side, and then the stock trunk mat is fully in place.

pop off the trunk mat, and you see that a center rack has been built out and trimmed in black vinyl, with raised lettering on the center cover

and finally, lift out the cover for hte sub and the amps, and here is what you see...

an image dynamics IDMAX10 sub its in the subbox (hence hte need for the remolding of hte box to accomodate it), and three zapco DC refernce amps sits belowt he floor.

350.2 2 x 100 for tweets
1000.4 bridged 2x500!!!! for midbass
1100.1 1x1100 for the idmax

again, nothing fancy just straightforward.

and finally, here is the modified 4080 box, a new top baffle was molded in, spacing out about 2" so the idmax can fit:

and the wiring pics of the amps:

overall, i am pretty darn pleased with the outcome of this car, midbass is VERY solid, and so effortless with so much power on them, the stage is hovering above the dash, very well centered and focused, with good widths and depth, it sounds very natural, good detail and smooth highs...the max also provides plenty of bottom end.

i sat in the car today for a hour just listening to it after taking the pics hehe
Old 06-17-2008, 06:28 PM
KelekonaKustoms

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

once again, a very clean install. very nice!!!

oh my, thats a whole lotta power to those midbasses!!
Old 06-22-2008, 07:07 PM
quakerroatmeal

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very very clean install. Simple and nice, I like it. One thing though, those IDMAX are VERY sensitive, and they do not even need nearly that much power, just be careful they're very nice subwoofers.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:21 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

yeah the max is definetly pretty sensitive for its class of subs, but when we are doing hte SQ installs, power really isnt about volume, its about transients and headroom
Old 06-23-2008, 02:23 PM
pony_killer
Arada ninda apa

nice build bing...quick question, for the kicks...will the owner have any problem when pressing down on the clutch, meaning will the kick be in his way?
Old 06-23-2008, 02:30 PM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Weird at first, but after a while, your muscle memory gets used to having the extended kick panel there.