Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

My car computer install

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Traininvain

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My car computer install

Nothing compared to some of the other setups on here, but I thought I'd post my homespun car computer setup I worked on over the winter months.

I took this on mainly because I travel extensively for work in the summer with my car, and end up spending a good deal of time in it. I work on military communications gear and some of the testing we do involves way too much sit-and-wait. So my car is effectively home base for months for me.

Based around a basic bookshelf sized system, I went with the AMD based one as it has a good bit more muscle than Intel Atom based products. Only downside is that it makes more heat.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856173006

-1.5Ghz dual core
-ATI 3200 HD
-4Gb RAM

Other hardware:

-Sound Blaster Extigy
-Rockford Fosgate P200
-Badass USB hub with 30Watts of powerrr
-USB GPS puck
-802.11 b/g/n with antenna
-Bluetooth
-Generic 300W inverter that was hot pink before rattle can
-Lilyput 701? touchscreen
-USB to OBD2
-Speakers are basic Infinity Kappa 3 ways, nothing special. Removed stock speaker material and made my own cloth covers. Helps sound a lot

Software:

Windows XP based
Touchscan for OBD2 stuff
RideRunner based user interface. Might upgrade to Centrafuse but I enjoy playing with RR

The install:

Basically made a platform out of MDF for behind the drivers side glove box area. Took the sub bracket out, laid down some sound material and some basic carpet. The shelf is secured on the center console rise and on the other side its actually suspended from above by a 3/4inch threaded rod assembly I made up (not pictured I dont think)

Cut some holes into the cover for airflow, mounted a few adjustable rate 120mm fans. Switches on the left of the drivers position near fuel cap/tcs/etc are a master on for the AC power and a master on for the screen. I went with some over the top switches cause my car needed some bling. Wifi antenna is mounted in the B pillar window behind driver. GPS puck is right next to it, I found that I got a fine signal even through the plastic material.

Center console tray has usb connections for charging or plugging in devices - did it nice with some grommets and such. Also if you plug in your android here it'll tether for internets on the go. Its all touchscreen but in case I have to do some extensive typing a bought a neat little RF keyboard.

Car also has Acree-style blue led conversion. No pictures as it washes out like hell during the day. TBH though I really like the look of the new gauges without any backlighting.

Future:

I'd like to add satellite radio somehow, switch to basic component speakers and add a small 1 channel amp / 10 inch sub. The Extigy has 5.1 and has a designated Subwoofer channel so it should be an easy add.

Pictures follow, sorry I don't have the best camera. Screen looks fantastic, despite what the pictures show. Sharp and easily viewed in sunlight too. Install was done a while ago so forgive the dust. Questions welcome!

Last edited by Traininvain; 07-07-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:27 PM
shakuya88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks great! Did you do this DIY or have it done?
Old 07-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Traininvain

100% DIY - parts cost me a bit over 800$ total I believe. Made a good winter project when I don't drive it, so I didn't mind having the interior apart for an extended period.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Looks like a great budget minded setup. I've been wanting to do this forever.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:30 PM
flecko28

looks great! i would suggest finding some sort of fan shroud or rings to hide the cut marks in the holes you made for the fans just to add a little more bling and professionalism but all in all !

Question...do you power it on and power it off by hand every time you want to use it? Or do you have software to detect an ignition power source?
Old 07-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Traininvain

Yea I have been looking for some sort of trim for the fan holes that I like. I like the mesh I used but the edge is still rough. I am thinking of getting two of these and just cutting the tube part off so I just have the trim:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/17...uct.html#blank

I currently turn it on / off with the switches, mainly because I frequently use it with the car off and having it start / stop every time I start the car really doesn't suit my purpose. I like having complete control of it - I know they sell nice setups on mp3car and stuff for that purpose though. Plus I get some strange satisfaction from flipping military switches everytime I start my car :X

It hibernates pretty quickly - it has an internal SSD that windows runs on so its quite quick. I'd say it hibernates in ~ 10 seconds and comes back up in about the same, so it really doesn't bother me.

Last edited by Traininvain; 07-07-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:16 AM
amr_electron

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Clean install, Looks great.

What power supply are you using?, Also from where did you get the ride runner theme ?

Thanks,
Old 07-08-2011, 09:28 AM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

For the holes, go to an auto parts store and pick up some "door edge guard". You might have to go to an autobody supply shop. It's that black rubber you see on some car door edges. It has a glue inside to keep it in place. Excellent solution to your problem. I've used it probably a dozen times for this situation.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Traininvain

Power supply is just a generic 300W inverter. Everything is AC - theres actually a 5 plug AC power strip way in the back all tied up. The screen, PC, Extigy sound card, USB hub are all run off the AC from the inverter.

I had a ton of trouble with static and popping on output of the amp after installing the inverter. I finally realized that the ground on the AC out of the inverter seemed to be almost floating - it would vary 3-4v. So I tied it back to the vehicle ground and it cleaned right up.

The ride running theme was one i found on MP3car and I chopped in the Nissan emblem using their editor - only took a moment. I can send it along if you like.

Thanks for the hint on the door edging - I'll look into it.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:53 PM
koren

Great install! Great setup!! Thanks for sharing with us!!
Old 07-15-2011, 01:19 AM
ASpecTL

Oh man $800? WELL worth it!
Old 10-07-2011, 11:56 PM
Earmuffs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frikin' awesome!

I am considering doing a similar setup (netbook/nettop based) so I might bother you with some small questions.