Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Mr.Grims Full Stealth Audio Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 12:19 PM
Mr. Grim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mr.Grims Full Stealth Audio Build

Parts have been orderes, will update each day on progress. Trying to go with a sleek stealth light aftermarket look on my 2007 350z Enthusiast. I'll be posting instructions with pictures on how to install after market head unit, front, and rear speakers.

This is what will be going in the Z.

JL AUDIO HD600/1

JL AUDIO 10W3V3-4

SINGLE 10 INCH ZENCLOSURE BOX SEALED

MEMPHIS AUDIO 15 PR62 & 15 PR620

50 SQUARE FEET OF FATMAT

PIONEER DEH-3200

Last edited by Mr. Grim; 02-01-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:12 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

i would highly NOT reccomend 50 sq ft of sound deadening material on an already heavy car for one single 10 inch woofer.

Will be totally pointless, veyr heavy n a bit smelly, a pain to install, and not for road noise.

Grey felt mat from a fabric store, ten bucks. Over fender wells, done.

and just because someone else will undoubtedly say it, this isnt considered stealth my man.
Steal means nothing is showing, and usually REALLY means even a factory head unit still.
But good job on doing a system etc tho.

Last edited by bmccann101; 02-01-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Mr. Grim

Originally Posted by bmccann101
i would highly NOT reccomend 50 sq ft of sound deadening material on an already heavy car for one single 10 inch woofer.

Will be totally pointless, veyr heavy n a bit smelly, a pain to install, and not for road noise.

Grey felt mat from a fabric store, ten bucks. Over fender wells, done.

and just because someone else will undoubtedly say it, this isnt considered stealth my man.
Steal means nothing is showing, and usually REALLY means even a factory head unit still.
But good job on doing a system etc tho.
When I thought stealth I meant not flashy look. Not too worried about the 50 lbs extra, I've decided to keep this as a daily driver and start saving up for a z06. Besides I have heard a few stories about rattles and I hate effing rattles.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:10 AM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

My theory on weight is as long as the audio system weights less then your girl then your OK

More info on "grey felt mat" would be nice. I plan on doing Dynamat on most large metal surfaces, especially the loud ones like the wheel wells and doors, but need something to stop the PLASTIC rattling. In my past vehicles I noticed the plastic door panels were the biggest problem area. Figured some kind of foam applied with double stick tape would help, like this: http://www.closedcellfoams.com/gymnasticrubber.html or this: http://www.thefoamfactory.com/acoust...cratefoam.html

Looking forward to pics... my stealth install is about 2 weeks from going in. Only visible items will be the Alpine head unit and Epicenter ****. Glove box sub install and tweeters behind the factory sail panels if all goes according to plan.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:39 AM
orgasm_donor

Please don't buy fatmat. It is a complete waste of time and money. In addition to it being smelly, it is very labourious to apply and will eventually come off in due time. When considering sound deadening, please use a poly-butyl based product like dynamat extreme, hushmat, streetwires mat or whichever. Yes, it will be more expensive but in the long run it will do its job, be easier to apply and won't peal off down the road.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:51 PM
Mr. Grim

Originally Posted by orgasm_donor
Please don't buy fatmat. It is a complete waste of time and money. In addition to it being smelly, it is very labourious to apply and will eventually come off in due time. When considering sound deadening, please use a poly-butyl based product like dynamat extreme, hushmat, streetwires mat or whichever. Yes, it will be more expensive but in the long run it will do its job, be easier to apply and won't peal off down the road.
Your the first person I've ever heard say something negative about the fatmat.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:56 PM
orgasm_donor

Originally Posted by Mr. Grim
Your the first person I've ever heard say something negative about the fatmat.
And probably not the last. Fatmat is tar-based roofing material. There is a reason why it is quite inexpensive so spending a few more bucks only makes sense. The only time you should ever use fatmat is for when it is applied to the trunk floor or cabin floor of the vehicle. Anywhere else is a potential problem for pealing off. I have used this and many other products over the last 22 years and this is at the bottom of my list.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Mr. Grim

And probably not the last. Fatmat is tar-based roofing material. There is a reason why it is quite inexpensive so spending a few more bucks only makes sense. The only time you should ever use fatmat is for when it is applied to the trunk floor or cabin floor of the vehicle. Anywhere else is a potential problem for pealing off. I have used this and many other products over the last 22 years and this is at the bottom of my list.
Just read up on it, **** how am I going to return 50 square feet of that ****. I don't want asphalt on my car, I thought it was rubber like dynamat.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Mr. Grim

Just won a bid for 34 squar feet of dynamat extreme so pissed i got fooled by fatmat
Old 02-04-2012, 04:24 PM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I used FatMat. I am not going to bother too much because it seems like you have your mind set on it as junk. I accidentally applied some to a spot that I should'nt have. I wished they actually "peel" off easily. If you follow the instructions and also use a heat gun, that thing would not peel off as you claim. I read through some of your projects for yourself and clients and I must say you do a good job and I had some ideas from your projects. But for the most part your problem with FatMat was ease of application and not functionality. I understand that because time is money especially as a proffessional installer. Help with road noise?. Sure it does. My doors used to be loud when slammed a bit hard. No more. You can claim it is all in my mind but road noise is cut drastically. Weight?. As the other OP said, weight is weight whether it is from FatMat or fatlady Lol.

Last edited by beezee; 02-04-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:41 PM
Mr. Grim

So I got all my stuff, need to head over to Lowes and get some screws to mount my sub to the box and I need to get a socket extension. I'm not going to do a step by step guide anymore since I found some one already kinda did that. I'll set everything up and take some pics tomorrow.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:14 AM
orgasm_donor

Originally Posted by beezee
I used FatMat. I am not going to bother too much because it seems like you have your mind set on it as junk. I accidentally applied some to a spot that I should'nt have. I wished they actually "peel" off easily. If you follow the instructions and also use a heat gun, that thing would not peel off as you claim. I read through some of your projects for yourself and clients and I must say you do a good job and I had some ideas from your projects. But for the most part your problem with FatMat was ease of application and not functionality. I understand that because time is money especially as a proffessional installer. Help with road noise?. Sure it does. My doors used to be loud when slammed a bit hard. No more. You can claim it is all in my mind but road noise is cut drastically. Weight?. As the other OP said, weight is weight whether it is from FatMat or fatlady Lol.
My point is, for MY baby, my car that I love dearly, I will only give it what it deserves - the absolute best in sound deadening. I have a choice as a professional installer, as a retailer and as an audio enthusiast to use, sell and promote anything that I truly believe in. I have used fatmat - properly! I gave it a chance and was let down dramatically. Compared to poly-butyl based deadener, tar-based will never be a part of my installs ever again. Its just something I would never be able to put my name on. If you like it, and it makes you happy, all the power to you!