Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

SUBWOOFER super install w/nizl and pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 09:37 PM
roberto350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look at this tolerance. There is NO room left for height. With a board made for the whole trunk area, everything will be flush. Just gotta finish next weekend
Attached Thumbnails SUBWOOFER super install w/nizl and pics-subinstall-12-.jpg  
Old 10-07-2002, 09:39 PM
InternetABYSS

I gotta 10 w6 JL I was thinking about pulling out the bose 10 and replacing it.....I got percision power amps to run it......I been waiting to start seeing you guys do some custom work too bad you live in Califoria...would love to watch you guys do this....Hell I would be watching and tearing my stuff apart with ya.

i got all the equipment....EXCEPT the ***** part just watching this install makes me wanna drop a pair....hhhhmmmmm nope they didn't drop yet.....hee hee

Are you guys gonna just do bass or are you doing mids and highs next?

Am i jumping the gun...it looks like you are posting as I type this.

Last edited by InternetABYSS; 10-07-2002 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-07-2002, 09:39 PM
NissaNZ

In the first picture you posted, is that stock speaker compartment for a subwoofer or a 6.5" driver? Also is there an identical compartment on the other side as well?
Old 10-07-2002, 09:40 PM
nizl

And shizlnit! Rob's pics don't even do it justice. Man that fits like a GLOVE! And it's fully-removable, fitting right into the spare tire well.

The size is in the sweet spot for JL subs - 1.3 cu ft. Who's your daddy?

Not bad for the first custom MDF outing with the 350Z. And Rob was doubting my box-designing skillz.

Damn... kinda makes me wish we would've done an install in my car rather than turn it over to Street Noyz. Although for the $5000 I'm paying them they're also installing a BJ attachment.

BTW, a couple quick facts:

- total time: 2 days
- total cost: $80

You and your buddy installing a PIMP-A$$ system in a 350Z yourself... priceless.

Last edited by nizl; 10-07-2002 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-07-2002, 09:41 PM
NissaNZ

So no more spare tire?
Old 10-07-2002, 09:43 PM
nizl

Originally posted by NissaNZ
So no more spare tire?
Nope, call AAA if you get a flat. Have them bring the flatbed.

Personally, this is the best call for me anyways. No way I would want to be at the side of the road at 3:00am trying to change a tire. That's why my insurance has towing coverage.
Old 10-07-2002, 09:43 PM
blueshift
Charter Member #83

Pictures coming soon of my 10" W7...box is nearly complete...and i get to keep my spare ...lose some hatch space....heh...but my luck with tires...i need that spare.

-Andrew
Old 10-07-2002, 09:45 PM
roberto350z

Originally posted by NissaNZ
In the first picture you posted, is that stock speaker compartment for a subwoofer or a 6.5" driver? Also is there an identical compartment on the other side as well?

There are three things behind the driver. Two 6.5's, which you can see in the pic where the brass speaker is still installed. You have to remove the WHOLE top part, the grills do not come off. THEN right behind the driver is a 10 inch hole that is a little too big for a 10, so find a large 10".

IA, yes, JL audio xr componets are next!
Old 10-07-2002, 09:54 PM
nizl

Originally posted by nizl
<<<<<<<<<< PIMPOPHILE hee hee (insert from internetabyss)
HAHAHA LOL hey ABYSS I was just rereading this and seriously lost it when I saw this!!!

Hey man, that reminds me.... can you give that one chick my number?

got all the equipment....EXCEPT the ***** part just watching this install makes me wanna drop a pair....hhhhmmmmm nope they didn't drop yet.....hee hee
Hey ABYSS, the first panel is the hardest. After that it's smooth sailing.

The plastic is put together in a very standard way. ****, it's IDENTICAL to my fu.cking 1984 Mercury Topaz I had thru college.

Anyways....

Just start with the running boards and pull. They'll pop off, and you'll be like "that wasn't so bad". Then, do the kick panels where your feet are. Same thing, take a little more pulling but pop right off. After that you'll be pulling panels with reckless abandon!

Last edited by nizl; 10-07-2002 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-08-2002, 04:34 AM
rouxeny

Man, you guys are brave.

Nice job though

Any thought to putting a box ahead of the strut brace? I mean, in the space between the stock speakers and the brace? Seems like you wouldn't loose too much trunk space that way.
Old 10-08-2002, 05:50 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Because the sound quality sucks, and the space is WAY too hard to do anything good with.

I just got my 10" sub installed in the stock compartment, man it sounded like ****. flat base, and when it hits hard, it's just not tight enought. It also has rattling sound. I had it dynamatted through out the compartment and also sprayed with the foam stuff. I will now install the box in the hatch...Thanks for the pics..
Old 10-08-2002, 07:14 AM
ChicagoEZ

Default Looks Great

No capacitor though?
Old 10-08-2002, 08:41 AM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks great! Congrats on doing such a fine job.

I'm contemplating doing my install myself (just front components & amp for now,) but I'm a little wary of tearing apart my car and then putting it back together. You've convinced me that it's easy to remove all the panelling, but is it easy to put it back together and have it fit properly? Do all the panels just snap back into place as solidly as before they were removed, or do they have a bit more 'play' after they've been removed & re-installed? Thanks!

Gary
Old 10-08-2002, 09:09 AM
stungeon
Charter Member #63

I had a JL 10W3V2 installed in the sub space. He use plywood and Dynamat to build an enclosure. I am very happy with the sound of the sub.
Old 10-08-2002, 11:20 AM
mysteriumZ
Charter Member #101

great job you 2, i'm tempted to do something like this on my own too. although i don't have much experience. one question, how hard is it to tap your amp to the car's electrical system?
Old 10-08-2002, 11:56 AM
silverz

Default Custome stereo

I just got of the phone with the stereo installer. I am keeping my Bose head unit. I am replacing the stock front speakers with JL XR series components, JL XR series for the rear and I am dissconnecting the Bose subwoofer. I am taking out the spare tire and putting in (2) 10" JL Subwoofers with a custom fibreglass enclosure. It should sound sweet. The car has been there since yesterday morning and should be done late tomorrow morning. I will post pictures and give a review. I've never had JL Audio equipment, I've had MB Quartz but they have ear Pericing "highs". I hear good things about JL stuff though, so I'm not concerned.
Old 10-08-2002, 03:44 PM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for shedding light for me with pictures of removal. :-D
Old 10-08-2002, 03:51 PM
roberto350z

Originally posted by mysteriumZ
great job you 2, i'm tempted to do something like this on my own too. although i don't have much experience. one question, how hard is it to tap your amp to the car's electrical system?
in the pics I show, I demonstrate power routing. Unless someone has a better idea, I had to drill twice...look for the pics with the red cable. Neg. power connects to any body ground, the red to the battery. The switchable remote lead connects the fuse box unless someone finds a remote lead in the back of the stock unit. But I doubt thats the case, because there is no external amp or a remote antenna or anything.......
Old 10-08-2002, 05:57 PM
Zoro

Default Nice install but

aren't you concerned about the weight you've added to your car with the mdf? by the time you get the cover panel made and installed you'll have over a sheet of it in there.
Old 10-08-2002, 06:08 PM
NSANY
Charter Member #52

Originally posted by rpgonzalez
cut the pieces to fit in the SPARE TIRE WELL. hmmmm. Dont forget, you need a small hole in the bottom to fit over the spare tire nub.
That garage is f-ing sweet. Next house can be one bedroom, one bathroom. As long as the rest of it is garage, I'll be happy...

Quick Reply: SUBWOOFER super install w/nizl and pics