Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

SUBWOOFER super install w/nizl and pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 06:11 PM
jtree007
Charter Member #53

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What was the depth avalable for the box, well what were your overall dementions?? I was thinking on puttin it 2 Infinity Perfect 10.1D's and .6 cu" is their optimum volume sealed, 1.3 is a bit too much for both but i were to seperate the subs then it would come out jsut about right....looks great, I am jsut waiting on my car to come so I can start messing with it....I have almost everything I am goign to put in sitting here waiting for the car to come
Old 10-08-2002, 08:37 PM
Subw00er

rpgonzalez, There is a much better way to route the power cable from the battery compartment... if you take off the plastic surrounding the battery area, you will see a bubble grommet with stock wires going into it. cut a hole and pass through there - its super easy. From there, its possible to get to the rear compartment area without making holes.. it took me all of 30 minutes!

As for the stock sub location. I think it sounds pretty good. I have a 10w6v2 in there and it slams much better than expected. it is hard to seal though, so if you dont know what you are doing, just make a box and put it in the trunk. In retrospect, I probably would have saved the 2 days labor and just made a box to fill the area behind the hump, in front of the rear strut brace. That space is useless anyway.

rpgonzalez, I was also wondering why you spliced off of the rear speaker like that.. did you think to do it at the head unit? It would have been a lot easier! You could have gotten the soundgate that has a volume control **** on it then and placed it in/under the dash somewhere.
Old 10-09-2002, 06:06 AM
MSGarrett1

Question

Quick question for nizl or rpgonzalez or anyone else that has done a custom sound job in the 350Z: where did you ground the amp, and do you have any alternator whine?
Old 10-09-2002, 07:10 AM
roberto350z

Originally posted by Subw00er

rpgonzalez, I was also wondering why you spliced off of the rear speaker like that.. did you think to do it at the head unit? It would have been a lot easier! You could have gotten the soundgate that has a volume control **** on it then and placed it in/under the dash somewhere.
why would removing the stereo and running wires all the way to the back be easier? I had to disconnect the rear speakers anyway...if there is anything worse than rear sound stage, its crappy rear sound stage.

Also, my fader is now the sub control so I dont have to mess with any **** under the dash of even worse in plain sight.

As far as the power routing, I was convinced that the stock wires went behind the dash, and I dont want any red wires hanging down THEN going under the carpet.
Old 10-09-2002, 08:19 AM
nizl

Originally posted by Zoro
aren't you concerned about the weight you've added to your car with the mdf? by the time you get the cover panel made and installed you'll have over a sheet of it in there.
Remember that the spare tire was removed, and it supposedly weighs 38 lbs...
Old 10-09-2002, 08:36 AM
wadd3456

Looks good, just ONE comment.

You could have taken a ziz wheel and cut the spare tire bump out. Then the sub could have been centered. With how you have it NOW the sub reflects sound off the plastic of the hatch. If you blast it off the glass its 2x louder. Ive tried it haha.

Other then that......looks great. Congrats!
Old 10-09-2002, 04:02 PM
Subw00er

I've just run wires through the car and I know that its easier to get to behind the radio then taking half the inside apart. It was just a suggestion. It is super easy to run wires along the side of the center area to the rear and there are stellar holes in the unibody for passing of wires. You could have also disconnected the rears at the radio too. I didnt realize you were still using them.

For everyone else, definitely use the stock grommet for the power wire, its super clean to pass a wire down hrough there and it does not involve taking the dash apart at all. The power wire will not be visible.

Originally posted by rpgonzalez
why would removing the stereo and running wires all the way to the back be easier? I had to disconnect the rear speakers anyway...if there is anything worse than rear sound stage, its crappy rear sound stage.

Also, my fader is now the sub control so I dont have to mess with any **** under the dash of even worse in plain sight.

As far as the power routing, I was convinced that the stock wires went behind the dash, and I dont want any red wires hanging down THEN going under the carpet.
Old 10-18-2002, 10:54 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

What's the dimension of the box? Thanks.
Old 10-18-2002, 12:59 PM
Driven

I have a stupid question for those of you that have mounted your subs in the spare tire location: Given the limited storage in the car already...what happens when you actually have to use the storage? Ie a couple small suitcases etc.? How is the sub protected, and what happens to your sound? I'm not opposed to mounting mine in there either...but am weighing my options. Mounting it in the original location leaves the storage space open...but what is the "real" impact or comparison of sound from one install to the other? Has anyone had the opportunity to listen to both types of installs?
Old 10-18-2002, 03:56 PM
2003z

Originally posted by MSGarrett1
Quick question for nizl or rpgonzalez or anyone else that has done a custom sound job in the 350Z: where did you ground the amp, and do you have any alternator whine?
I grounded my amp to a bolt on the back right wheel well, and used the high level inputs to the amp. I had alternator whine.

THen I drilled a hole in the body, just under the glove box, where I mounted my amp, removed the paint and grounded it there. Still had the whine.

Next, I used a step-down converter to go from high level to RCA level inputs and the whine disappeared.
Old 10-18-2002, 05:58 PM
roberto350z

well. I ran the amp for a sub woofer, so I dont think I would have gotten a whine....either way....no whine... Make sure the power cable are no where near your inputs!
Old 10-19-2002, 09:29 AM
nizl

Originally posted by Apexi350z
What's the dimension of the box? Thanks.
20x28x6 roughly
Old 10-19-2002, 09:31 AM
nizl

Originally posted by Driven
I have a stupid question for those of you that have mounted your subs in the spare tire location: Given the limited storage in the car already...what happens when you actually have to use the storage? Ie a couple small suitcases etc.? How is the sub protected, and what happens to your sound?
Just put a grill over it and you're good to go.

Your sound will suffer slightly, but the wavelengths produced by subs are so long that generally they'll pass thru solid stuff pretty easily.
Old 10-19-2002, 09:59 AM
Driven

Nizl,
thanx...will give it higher consideration now.
Old 10-19-2002, 08:51 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Originally posted by nizl
20x28x6 roughly
This is with a 12W3 right? How do you have enough depth with only 6"? the MDF is about 3/4", so your actual depth/height is only around 4.5"? I built a box for my 12W3 today, same way you guys did, (thank you for the pics, btw!), and I had to make it about 6.5" depth inside the box, so the total hight is around 8". I just finished, it took me over 4hrs from start to finsih!! after all is done, it's well worth it. The 12's actually made my MB Quart more stand out, strange. Maybe it's because the bass is lower now.

I will remove the other box, with 10inch in the stock sub location, and either convert it to a storage, or maybe for amp mount.

Last edited by Apexi350z; 10-19-2002 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-20-2002, 08:11 AM
nizl

This was a 10W3, and it barely fits, so yeah the 12 would have to be deeper.

Rob is probably going to upgrade from a 10W3 to an IDQ12, which is roughly the same depth as his 10W3.

4 hrs start to finish is pretty good... it took us a while longer because we were so indecisive about how to orient the sub, etc.
Old 10-20-2002, 08:24 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

ahh, okay. yeah, 10w3 would fit fine. Mine is higher about 2" so I need to build a false floor. Still need to work on the trim around the box, and amp.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:22 AM
wadd3456

I ran 5/8" board and had the floor about 7 1/2" high (roughly). Sure didnt take 4 hrs though haha.

Start to finish from making the box, installin the wiring and the false floor was about 2hrs. Box took 25min tops. Now wiring my touchscreen tv was a different story. That took forever
Old 10-20-2002, 09:50 AM
roberto350z

the MDF was just 1/8" shy of 3/4". The total height was 6 " Only the bottom MDF board takes space, the speaker rests on the top board so we can count that. The final depth available comes out to be 5.612" and the 10W3 is 5.812, so I was off by about a quarter of an inch. We could NOT make the box over this height though cuz I demand that everything be flush. So I made an MDF ring that gave me 3/4" inch more heigh. Perfect!

BTW....If you guys want some really good advice about the W3...Id say you should skip it and buy an Adire Shiva. Online only...and they are universally accepted by people who have compared this speaker to a W3 that it is a better speaker. Not only only does it get rave reviews, but you can buy it for $125 shipped from online source!
Old 12-08-2002, 02:10 AM
roberto350z

done.

notes:
-the speaker sounds better under the strutbar
-taking the battery out is best for the power routing
-taping off of speaker lead is no different that taping behind stereo
-I do not recommend the W3, it is very boomy...adire shiva!
-the stock head unit makes sub and speaker sound like crap. I recommend doing the HU too!
Attached Thumbnails SUBWOOFER super install w/nizl and pics-stereo3.jpg  

Quick Reply: SUBWOOFER super install w/nizl and pics