Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

My Z PC install.

Old 10-10-2004, 02:45 PM
zzzBaby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BPL ..., another question, if I may. It looks like you're using the computer to play MP3's. Are you connecting the output of the PC sound to the input of the Sony WX-7700MDX? If so, how are you doing that?

Thanks - zzzBaby
Old 10-10-2004, 03:23 PM
BPL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@zzzBaby
I'll post some pics of the motorized door and how I mounted the screen. Here is a pic of the back of the cluster lid assembly. Using the touch panel as a template, I epoxied some square aluminum tube in place to create a frame. The inside of the frame needs to be filed down so it's really smooth and the screen isn't too tight. I learned this the hard way by cracking my first touch panel.
Attached Thumbnails My Z PC install.-img_0241.jpg  
Old 10-10-2004, 03:28 PM
BPL

Here's the screen in place. I used the same small metal mounting tabs that held it in the Lilliput case.
Attached Thumbnails My Z PC install.-img_0244.jpg  
Old 10-10-2004, 03:38 PM
BPL

Here is the cluster lid mounted in the dash. I chopped out the back of the case that the screen came in to use as a mount for the LCD controller board. I then attached this to the cluster lid with small L brackets. Sorry I don't have a better picture of this... Also, you can see how the controller for the door attached to the back of the triple guage cluster at the top. It connects to the door with that white ribbon cable.
Attached Thumbnails My Z PC install.-apict0048.jpg  

Last edited by BPL; 10-10-2004 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:49 PM
BPL

This is the door controller circuit that a friend and I designed. If there is interest we could do a writeup on how to build one. Also, I have 5 of the bare printed circuit boards left (I ordered 6 total) if anyone wants to buy one. Note that I cannot provide the plastic mounting bracket or the ribbon cable that connects to the door. Those came with the OEM controller which I wasn't able to get to work. It shouldn't be too difficult to figure out how to get by without those though.
Attached Thumbnails My Z PC install.-img_0246.jpg  
Old 10-10-2004, 03:55 PM
BPL

Originally posted by zzzBaby
BPL ..., another question, if I may. It looks like you're using the computer to play MP3's. Are you connecting the output of the PC sound to the input of the Sony WX-7700MDX? If so, how are you doing that?

Thanks - zzzBaby
The Sony HU has aux in that I'm using for the computer sound. I'm using a USB SoundBlaster MP3+ and connecting it using a 1' Stinger RCA cable.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:44 AM
BrickydZ

Default Choppped?

In your description of parts, you note the case as "chopped".

PC:
VIA Epia M10000 Motherboard
Travla C134 Case (Chopped to fit in the Z)
Hitachi 40GB laptop HD
Slot loading DVD/CDRW
Lilliput 7" VGA touchscreen
4 port USB 2.0 hub
Linksys USB wireless-g NIC
USB GPS receiver (forgot brand)
USB SoundBlaster MP3+

Could you elaborate and pics would be nice.

thanks
Cliff Nix
Bloomington IL
Old 10-12-2004, 11:09 AM
zzzBaby

Originally posted by BPL
The Sony HU has aux in that I'm using for the computer sound. I'm using a USB SoundBlaster MP3+ and connecting it using a 1' Stinger RCA cable.
BPL - Thanks for all the info!!!

I'm thinking of installiing either the Sony WX-7700MDX or this one (also Japan Only):

Old 10-12-2004, 11:27 AM
Dirty Dave

Like BrickydZ said , please show the process of "chopping" the case to work. Looks like you did a real clean job, and also did you use the navigation plate where the front of the computer sticks out or did you chop that too ?
Old 10-12-2004, 06:29 PM
BPL

I can't seem to post the pictures of the case... It tells me that I'm not allowed to attach anything over 1 byte or something tiny like that. Is there a limit to the number of attachments I can post? Also, the attached images in posts are showing up as links instead of being displayed (even though it's set to display in my profile). Any ideas?

EDIT: Ok, I guess this stuff was changed intentionally. I'll get the pics up on a server tomorrow...

Last edited by BPL; 10-12-2004 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:51 AM
SIX

Thumbs up

I have the same setup excpt I have the PC under the seat. Great job on fitting it in the Den, What interface did u use?
I am tired of Winamp and the small words. I have wireless G setup with a booster. its great. Combined with Netstumbler and AIRsnare I can trap networks on the road and surf. Plug up a webcam and record your race, or print out documents to my portable printer. Attach the OBDII port device to your PC and Dyno your car on the Street. Endless options......

Did you use the Opus power supply, or are u direct to the battery for power? IE when u turn off your car does the pc turn off as well?

Great setup, from One ZPC user to the next...
Old 10-13-2004, 07:29 AM
Hazade

thats awesome dude, nice job
Old 10-13-2004, 11:56 AM
BPL

Thx guys!

@SIX
The interface is one that I wrote myself called MediaFurnace. I'll probably release it for anyone that's interested after I tie up a few loose ends. It's a bretty basic interface but it looks nice and is very easy to use while driving.

I'll have to check out Netstumbler and AIRsnare. Do you need a specific type of wireless NIC or a bigger antenna?

Yep, I am using the 90w Opus power supply. It's powering the touchscreen, PC, wireless NIC (USB), and DVD drive. I have a 4 port USB hub for the other devices and that is powered my ACC using a 3 amp voltage regulator to bring it down to 5v.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:31 PM
SIX

Cool, I'm very Intrested in the Interface..Looks Clean.. The Nic I use Linksys G, with a Hawkwing Antenna, it's about 25$ at best buy or compusa. U will need to extend the cable because its only 3 feet, that will cost about 7$.
Airsnare and netstumbler are complatable with almost all Nic's. I have not found on that did not work. Both netstumbler and airsnare are free. The bad thing about the Hawkwing Antenna is that I just toss it in the back its white and about 1 foot and a half tall. What MOBO u running?
VIA M?

I admire the small case and I see u took out the Power supply cut the back end off and put the pwr external to the unit. GJ.
Curious as to how u mounted it into the Den, use a special mout?

ThX
Old 10-14-2004, 06:26 PM
BPL

Ok, I thought I had some better pics of the case modification but I guess not... Here's the case without the cover on it. You can see that the power supply is gone and the front has been moved back in it's place. I ended up removing about 2" of the tray, just barely enough to reattach the front and have the components fit. The cut was directly to the front of the motherboard and you can barely see the bronze weld.

Old 10-14-2004, 06:30 PM
BPL

This shows how much of the top of the case was removed.

This is the cover reassembled after cutting. I left a couple pieces in the back and bent them up to recreate tabs for the case screws

Old 10-14-2004, 06:32 PM
BPL

Here's the finished product after being shortified. I'll try to find some better pics of the inside...

Old 10-14-2004, 06:37 PM
BPL

Here is the mailbox slot with the mounting brackets for the OEM nav system. It fit's the single din case perfectly. You can also see where the Opus power supply is mounted in there (with it's shiny polished stainless case ).

Old 10-14-2004, 06:43 PM
BPL

I mounted the GPS antenna (taken out of it's case) on top of the motorized door controller. It's completely hidden and I get great reception!

Old 10-17-2004, 03:13 PM
ZZZealous007

did u have to use low profile ram?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Z PC install.