Notices

How to DIY: Switchblade Key aka Euro Style Flip Key

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008 | 10:14 AM
IceShaver511

I was looking to see if there was a way to see if I could modify the Nissan flip key shell to accept a Chrysler 4 button remote. The Nissan remote is the closest in terms of size, and button location. I was wondering if anyone could open there four button remote and provide me some measurements and pictures.

Example of the measurements I am looking for:

I measured from the center of the unlock contact to the center of the lock contact and got 14.7MM, then from the center of the lock contact to the center of the trunk contact and got 14.4MM, and finally from the center of the trunk contact to the center of the panic contact and got 11.3MM

I would be grateful to any help.

Scott
Old 12-12-2008 | 10:47 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

Here ya go. I took pics so you can make your own measurements.

I set up the ruler to match the lines of the plastic surround and not the center of the black button. You can see that each button has the two lines to the right of them and each one is shifted relative to the center. So if you measure bottom to bottom youll get the distance between each button center.

Also included are pics of the outer dimensions. Let me know if you need any others.
Old 12-12-2008 | 11:05 AM
IceShaver511

Originally Posted by Chris @ Migliore
Here ya go. I took pics so you can make your own measurements.

I set up the ruler to match the lines of the plastic surround and not the center of the black button. You can see that each button has the two lines to the right of them and each one is shifted relative to the center. So if you measure bottom to bottom youll get the distance between each button center.

Also included are pics of the outer dimensions. Let me know if you need any others.
Wow, that was quick thank you very much!

Now all I need the the flipkey shell, and a sacrificial Nissan remote(looks like I'm off to scavenge at the Junkyard).

Last edited by IceShaver511; 12-12-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-12-2008 | 11:06 AM
tranceformer95

^use macro mode next time!
Old 12-12-2008 | 11:18 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

Originally Posted by tranceformer95
^use macro mode next time!
not sure my camera has that. Its from 2003. I looked for the "flower" symbol but did not find it. Instead i took it off of mountain and put it into the two people mode.

more, clearer pics

As you can see, the middle two buttons are spaced further apart then the other two distances.

iirc buttons go: Unlock, lock, trunk, alert
Dont think that matters though.
Old 12-12-2008 | 05:01 PM
IceShaver511

I appreciate all the pictures, but can I request a measurement of the width of the black plastic remote at its widest spot.
Old 12-12-2008 | 05:04 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Actually, it's LOCK, UNLOCK, TRUNK, then ALERT (top to bottom order).
Old 12-12-2008 | 05:22 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

Originally Posted by IceShaver511
I appreciate all the pictures, but can I request a measurement of the width of the black plastic remote at its widest spot.

you mean the oem remote or the 4 button remote?
Old 12-12-2008 | 05:23 PM
IceShaver511

Originally Posted by Chris @ Migliore
you mean the oem remote or the 4 button remote?
yes the OEM 4 button remote, not the flip key
Old 12-13-2008 | 09:55 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

these may be helpful, got mine in today

would you like an oem case to play with?
Old 12-13-2008 | 11:27 AM
draco10

What up guys? I just got mine in today. The only thing that I had to do is to trim the buttons. At the bottom, I had to trim a little bit off so that the ring holder could set correctly. Nothing major, just took a razor balde and trimmed it out. Other than that is was so freaking hard..... Just kidding. Love it. And the rubberized coating on it is so cool.
Old 12-17-2008 | 03:03 PM
g26

Thanks for posting your pics and comments, tranceformer95. Nice job.

ipearlg shipped out the flip key hours after I PayPal'd him - don't even mess with getting it from anyone/anywhere else. He's a real pleasure to do business with.

I went straight to a professional locksmith to get the key cut. Even though I heard him grinding for 3 minutes plus, he only charged me a buck. I went to the car and made sure it fit the ignition and rotated. Satisfied with the results, I went back in to give him another buck.

I ended up extracting the transponder from my maroon Valet since I've never used those keys over the years of owning different cars. I'll hand the old key setup to the grease monkeys when I get my car serviced since, if they're like me, they'll push the button dozens of times just for giggles.

I put a tiny amount of crazy glue to secure the transponder. Even though the battery would've fit snugly in place in the new housing, *ICE*'s post reminded me to take the battery holder out of the old fob to do it right the first time. Seriously, his post is CLASSIC!

I am very happy with the quality of the product. The 'rubbery' texture is slighly less coarse than the buttons themselves, similar to that of an HTC Touch and Palm Treo 750 for those who've handled those phones. The key flips out with crisp, strong velocity. The metal components (button mechanism, key ring 'loop,' and the key itself) are pretty heavy/solid.

Thanks for everyone's help. Long live the 350Z.

Last edited by g26; 12-17-2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-18-2008 | 12:42 PM
huntdogg

Originally Posted by g26
ipearlg shipped out the flip key hours after I PayPal'd him - don't even mess with getting it from anyone/anywhere else. He's a real pleasure to do business with.
+1!
Old 12-18-2008 | 01:59 PM
sosojeffcc

i pm'ed ipearlg a couple of days ago, but he still hasnt' responded
Old 12-18-2008 | 02:41 PM
tranceformer95

Originally Posted by sosojeffcc
i pm'ed ipearlg a couple of days ago, but he still hasnt' responded
its the holidays, people get busy.
Old 12-18-2008 | 05:06 PM
burner

I purchased the key on eBay with the transponder included because I didn't want to cut up one of my keys. To make a long story short, after trying three different ones, they couldn't be programmed by the dealer. Don't waste your money on the ones with the chip included, they don't work. I ended up cutting up my stock key and going that route and it works great.
Old 12-18-2008 | 09:28 PM
whatwhy

I have been emailing ipearlg directly. He said he answers those faster because they go straight to his phone.

A++ Service from him...and heres his email if y'all were wondering...

r.karnes@yahoo.com
Old 12-19-2008 | 04:13 AM
huntdogg

I got mine in the mail yesterday (holy crap, he's fast), and i plan on putting it together after work tonight and getting it cut saturday. it looks nice!
Old 12-27-2008 | 07:43 PM
CancerJCCz

Angry OMFG!

PLEASE READ THEN HELP!

Hello Gentlemen,
I bought this fob from Ipearlg and love (the looks of it). However I have a problem, I cannot get the fob keys to perform any of the functions they are supposed to. I hope maybe you can lend a hand in diagnosing this complex problem. Ok here it goes, I transferred the "guts" of my old fob over and no buttons work. I have been at it for over 5 hours now so I know it is not something simple. I have made sure that the battery is making good contact with both the + and -.

I have tried to reprogram the fob (in and out of ignition 6+ times, hazards flash back in ignition to ACC, click any button {hazards should flash}, open and close door. This does not work. I have even put the "guts" back into the old fob and went outside to test and voila! It worked perfectly! WTF! I am at my whits end and cannot figure out WTF is wrong with it?!? Oh I even already had walmart cut my key and the Z starts fine but no F'in fob keys!!!! Any thoughts you may have would be much appreciated.

Oh one last thing, the only problem left that I could imagine is that the battery might be too drained to work with this new fob. I have heard the range is a little more limited on this new fob then the old. Maybe it is only strong enough to get through the old fob plastic. I still have functionality with the old fob (same battery) at 15' so I can hardly imagine this being the problem as I walked all around the car (with new fob) at point blank range trying to get the b1tch to work...
Old 12-28-2008 | 06:14 AM
garbud

I had the exact same problem. I ended up taking the guts out of another old fob that I had, and used it and it works perfectly now. I went through the exact same frustration you went through and never could figure out why I couldn't get the buttons to work. Once I had all but the trunk lid release button working but never got them all. Anyone else have the same problem?

Garbud

Quick Reply: How to DIY: Switchblade Key aka Euro Style Flip Key