Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

How Do I Construct A Sub Box In The Stock Location?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 11:08 AM
RANDY350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Do I Construct A Sub Box In The Stock Location?

I have searched threads and it seems that most have used fiberglass to do this. What I want to do is construct a box made of wood for a 10" Eclipse titanium or aluminum sub, mount the sub on the box, use the metal factory bracket to cover it or have the Eclispe sub on top of it, and place the Bose cover over it. Then I will etch out the Bose symbol and place an Eclipse label there.

Is this possible to do with wood?

I donot want to have an installer do this because everytime I have someone install equipment they screw up my car and then I have to bring it back. I am really good at installing but I have not attempted a sub box.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:35 AM
one350zfan

Dude, thats going to be tough to do! I believe those eclipse subs have a huge magnet. I would put it in the hatch beneath the bar or sell the speaker and buy a free-air and do what you speak of. I think you need .5 - .75 cu-ft. to make that(eclipse)perform. Free-air, just make a baffle board and your done.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:50 PM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 03-14-2006, 09:18 PM
guyk

Dont know if I'm missing something obvious here but how does that box fit the stock sub location when the opening of the stock location is roughly twice as wide as it is high?
Old 03-14-2006, 09:41 PM
visionboy

Originally Posted by camaro194
^^^ has anyone actually used this box design, and how does it sound?
Old 03-14-2006, 10:50 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the box idea falls through for one reason or another, the Infinity Basslink is a very good option for the stock location. Many members here seem to have had great success with it. I am planning on going that route myself.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:46 AM
dark_muppet

What's the mounting depth for that sub? It should be doable... as I understand these subs don't need a lot of airspace to perform. I can't open the eclipse website so I can't look 'em up. Dunno... might be the security settings here at work.

Anyway, find out what the recommended sealed enclosure volume is and the mounting depth. Also if you can getthe sub displacement volume that'd help.

I'm sure you can get enough airspace for it, especially if you went with a sealed fiberglass one. But the mounting depth will be an issue. Especially if you need to use the stock mounts.

By the way... why do you need to use the stock mounts? You can make things a lot easier and have a much broader range in sub sizes/depths if you don't.

I've got a 8w7 in each and those are pretty deep.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:49 AM
[]V[]addog

Infinity Basslink ... eh, do explain further
Old 03-15-2006, 08:16 AM
350ztoronto

Originally Posted by visionboy
^^^ has anyone actually used this box design, and how does it sound?
yea anyone done that box? hows it sound?
Old 03-15-2006, 08:58 AM
visionboy

Originally Posted by 350ztoronto
yea anyone done that box? hows it sound?
and does it even fit? lol
Old 03-15-2006, 09:11 AM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by []V[]addog
Infinity Basslink ... eh, do explain further
It's a powered sub...meaning it does not require external amplification. Look for it on Crutchfield. There are plenty of threads on it here too.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:18 AM
guyk

Originally Posted by visionboy
and does it even fit? lol
I assume the sub (or subs) should be fitted from the 7.15 x 15.5 "angled" side I think; not where the circular hole is shown? I dont think you could fit a 12" in there...anyone done it?
Old 03-15-2006, 11:47 AM
plumpzz

i think u can fit a 12 in there.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:55 PM
dark_muppet

Looks like it might be an upward firing sub box.

At any rate, you can't really ask if a box will sound good. Will it sound good with what sub? Keep in mind any box not designed for your drivers specs as well as your own tastes will more than likely not perform to your standards.

You need to look at it from the point of view that you have two factors, the subs you want, and the space you want them in. Then take into account the specific tuning you're looking for... i.e. the tamber of the bass tone. Then using those you can calculate the specs for your box.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:49 PM
RANDY350Z

i've never attempted to construct a box becuase of that factor. but I will be using the Eclipse titanium sw9102 or aluminum sw8000.

spec for each: Fs 26hz 18hz
Qts .47 .40
DCR 4 + 4 3ohm
Vas 2.10 Cuft 3.75 Cuft
Xmax 1.50" 1.50"

The box doesn't have to sit like the stock, but it would be nice. Fiber glass would be cool, but too much of a mess to bring back to stock if I need to.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:24 PM
guyk

Originally Posted by RANDY350Z
i've never attempted to construct a box becuase of that factor. but I will be using the Eclipse titanium sw9102 or aluminum sw8000.

spec for each: Fs 26hz 18hz
Qts .47 .40
DCR 4 + 4 3ohm
Vas 2.10 Cuft 3.75 Cuft
Xmax 1.50" 1.50"

The box doesn't have to sit like the stock, but it would be nice. Fiber glass would be cool, but too much of a mess to bring back to stock if I need to.
The box shown in the diagram will not fit like the stock subwoofer does; we have tried it in my Z this morning.

We are going to fit it anyway and I will post an update and assessment of how it sounds later today for those who are interested in this type of set-up.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:51 PM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What part of it caused it to not fit? I was under the impression that this box would fit in that compartment. Let us know what you found.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:40 PM
guyk

Originally Posted by camaro194
What part of it caused it to not fit? I was under the impression that this box would fit in that compartment. Let us know what you found.
I was as surprised as you are - next time I'll measure the compartment myself!

I'll post again once I've picked the car up, but to cut a long story short, the opening of the stock compartment is roughly 9" tall and 19" wide. The box therefore fits into it OK, but it's like parking your Z in an aircraft hangar - there's a lot of room left over.

When we built the box, I was under the impression that the "hole" for the sub shown on the diagram would face out towards the drivers seat; but at 16 x 15.5" that side is just way too big, and all the other sides are too small to house a 10" sub, let alone a 12".

As I said before, if I have missed something obvious I (and the installer) would love to know what it is!
Old 03-15-2006, 08:52 PM
visionboy

hmm i was under the impression it would face up...
Old 03-16-2006, 03:06 PM
guyk

I got my car back last night from the installers and all I can say is WOW! Now I really understand why the Bose sucks so much - I've now given it all to the kid next door to install on his billy cart. Interestingly the Bose headunit has a "Made by Clarion" sticker on it !?

We installed the aforementioned sub box into the stock compartment by attaching it to the roof of the compartment so that the new sub fires downwards. The angled section of the box shown above runs in a similar plane to the interior panels. The entire stock compartment was Dynomatted.

Bass response is now MUCH MUCH MUCH better than I expected and compared to stock it's like comparing an M6 to a Hyundai. Sure it's probably not as good as subs mounted in the rear hatch, but hey the golf clubs and beers have to be accomodated.

I used a 12" Nakamichi Sub, Alpine MRV545 Amp, Mb Quart front splits and rear coaxials. Headunit is a Kenwood 7045 with TV tuner and Ipod connector.

All in all I'm very happy with the performance and results, and recommend this set up for anyone requiring a stealth setup. I'll try to get some pics from the installer so if anyone is interested let me know.

Quick Reply: How Do I Construct A Sub Box In The Stock Location?