Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

iPod aux in for BASE model 2006 350z... HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 04:16 PM
ZWildZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default iPod aux in for BASE model 2006 350z... HELP!!!

I've read a thousand threads on the iPod interface for Bose systems but I can't find an answer to the question of how to hardwire in an auxilary input to the base model NON-Bose head unit. Does anyone have an answer? I am using a FM Transmitter right now but I'm not happy with it. I just want to either get a kit that plugs into the back of the head unit or find out which wires to hack into to attach the right connectors..... Anyone done this?
Old 05-02-2006, 05:00 PM
Hotwire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also interested, since i'm buying a base model 06' and have an ipod nano....and from the experience i have using an FM transmiter at the moment, it blows to say the least.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:57 PM
rkd350z

Same here!!
Old 05-02-2006, 09:22 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Check Discount Car Stereo for a couple of options.

I installed a PA11-NIS, although I have an '05, I know that there's at least one person who's installed it in an '06.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:27 PM
zoe

Without actually getting out a soldering iron and modifying the radio internals, you will not get an 06 base OEM radio to have an aux. There is a port on the back that looks like an XM or CD Changer port. But, it doesnt work. (I bought the PAC AAI-NIS2 and tried it.

I am going to attempt to upgrade to the Bose system (my boyfriend just bought one for me on ebay). This unit will work with AAI-NIS2 to create an aux port. Next I just have to figure out how to hook it up. For example the steering wheel port on the back are slightly different...

The only other option would be to wait until the trim kit makers start producing '06 compatible kits (the dash changed on 06). Then you can get an aftermarket HU that installs nicely (unless you want stock look like me).
Old 05-06-2006, 03:05 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Originally Posted by ZWildZ
I've read a thousand threads on the iPod interface for Bose systems but I can't find an answer to the question of how to hardwire in an auxilary input to the base model NON-Bose head unit. Does anyone have an answer? I am using a FM Transmitter right now but I'm not happy with it. I just want to either get a kit that plugs into the back of the head unit or find out which wires to hack into to attach the right connectors..... Anyone done this?

It can not be done with the Base. Your best bet(if you want to stay stock) is to switch to the bose head unit and use that hook up...otherwise aftermark here you come
Old 05-06-2006, 07:04 AM
PDX_Racer

So, those of us who have working PA11-NISs are imagining that?

Mine ('05 base audio system) works fine with this: <http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=701>

Works with 2004-2006 350Zs with the base audio system. There are supposed to be some other options for the Bose system.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:23 AM
XtaZee

As long as the headunit is SAT ready (has a 12-pin connector on rear of headunit) the PA11-NIS will work. This is where the unit plugs in. You cannot have both at the same time, factory SAT and a PA11-NIS installed. The PA11-NIS does include an AUX line in for another input e.g. aftermarket SAT radio.

This is the rear of a 2004 Bose SAT ready headunit.-

Last edited by XtaZee; 05-06-2006 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:21 AM
06blueZ

Question

Well, The 06 base radio has the connector, but there is no way to select the aux source once you plug in the adaptor. With the two buttons of CD or RADIO, I don't see how you could switch to an aux input source even if that adaptor will plug in to the radio, am i missing something here?...
Old 05-06-2006, 09:46 AM
PDX_Racer

With the PA11-NIS with the Aux input, the aux input would be "CD-6".

Download the manual from the website -- it is available in PDF form.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:25 PM
unrealsilence

Originally Posted by zoe
Without actually getting out a soldering iron and modifying the radio internals, you will not get an 06 base OEM radio to have an aux. There is a port on the back that looks like an XM or CD Changer port. But, it doesnt work. (I bought the PAC AAI-NIS2 and tried it.

I am going to attempt to upgrade to the Bose system (my boyfriend just bought one for me on ebay). This unit will work with AAI-NIS2 to create an aux port. Next I just have to figure out how to hook it up. For example the steering wheel port on the back are slightly different...

The only other option would be to wait until the trim kit makers start producing '06 compatible kits (the dash changed on 06). Then you can get an aftermarket HU that installs nicely (unless you want stock look like me).

What is the model of the Bose you bought from ebay? I couldn't find a single one. Its the same exact one that the Nissan dealers offer as an upgrade? The sleek black head unit that looks 100% identical to the factory head unit?
Old 05-09-2006, 09:13 PM
zoe

Originally Posted by unrealsilence
What is the model of the Bose you bought from ebay? I couldn't find a single one. Its the same exact one that the Nissan dealers offer as an upgrade? The sleek black head unit that looks 100% identical to the factory head unit?
First of all - let me clarify for those who missed an important point in this thread: The base radio on the 2006 350Z is not SAT ready and will not work with PAC's aux adapter. While it has the port that older models had, it does not function (I found out the hard way).

As for upgrading to the Bose, I have succesfully done it now in my '06 Z. And I must say it is GREAT! I got a 2006 (very important) Bose 6 CD changer from eBay. Note that for this to work, you have to have a external amplifier (I have under the seat) to drive the speakers. I have one issue as yet - and that is that I could not find the hidden jack that fits the Bose system for the steering wheel control - so this is dead for now (no great loss). It looks stock and sounds fantastic!
Old 05-09-2006, 09:15 PM
zoe

Originally Posted by zoe
First of all - let me clarify for those who missed an important point in this thread: The base radio on the 2006 350Z is not SAT ready and will not work with PAC's aux adapter. While it has the port that older models had, it does not function (I found out the hard way).

As for upgrading to the Bose, I have succesfully done it now in my '06 Z. And I must say it is GREAT! I got a 2006 (very important) Bose 6 CD changer from eBay. Note that for this to work, you have to have a external amplifier (I have under the seat) to drive the speakers. I have one issue as yet - and that is that I could not find the hidden jack that fits the Bose system for the steering wheel control - so this is dead for now (no great loss). It looks stock and sounds fantastic!
woops - in answer to your question -YES- it is the OEM radio. Once in a while someone upgrades to aftermarket, and a radio comes up on eBay. Snag one!
Old 05-10-2006, 09:21 PM
zoe

I have to be honest -- after looking into the USASpec PA11-NIS product, I cannot say for certain this will not work. In fact, they do claim it does. But, then, PAC claimed their product would work on the '06 too. Since I discovered it doesn't, they have changed their ads... I say its worth a try. In the end I'm glad I got the Bose head unit (CD changer is cool) and it works with iPod just fine.