Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

Buying stuff online....

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 03:17 AM
SHIFTZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying stuff online....

Hi guys, since we're all from Aus, im curious as to whether u guys have bought stuff for ur Z online???

Having already planned out my audio system even before my cars' arrived and browsing US audio wholesalers online, ive found that audio gear from US is 50% of AUS retail prices. eg; an 6.5" Alpine monitor purchased from infinitecaraudio.com with shipping is AUS $900, here its over $1700. Similar deal with the Sony wx-7700mdx, $790 with fm mod shipped from pricejapan.com, but $2000 here

For those who have purchased stuff online, do u incur some kind of tax when they arrive......if so how much is the tax???

I ordered JDM clear lenses from japanparts.com as a trial, but im thinking there has to be a tax to stop ppl purchasing heaps of stuff online and selling here off the back of a truck.

Can ne1 help me out here?? Also, any advice as to buying online???

Thanks, Sam
Old 04-14-2003, 03:43 AM
apsilon

I haven't purchased anything for the Z yet but I've spent literally thousands on parts for my MX-5 buying from the US and Japan.

Orders with an AUD$ value under $250 shouldn't attract any additional charges. Anything over that will incur import duty and GST. Import duty rates vary depending on what the item is but I've found adding 30% to be a good guide. Of course there's also shipping charges to take into account.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-14-2003, 03:45 AM
ZZZ-35

SHIFTZ

I've purchased LED Side Makers and Kick Plates from StricklyZ.com U.S., no problems, no custom charges just postage I think any goods posted with a value below $500. I also imported the Nismo Aero Body Kit from japanparts.com, freight charges $800, customs,GST + airport charge $300 but this is still cheaper than buying here from Nissan just be careful what you purchase, car parts have a 15% import duty + 10% GST + handling charges. Watch out for the differences in the FM fequency range of the Japanese radio's not sure about the U.S.

David
Old 04-14-2003, 06:01 AM
SHIFTZ

Thanks for the replies guys. I knew there would have to be some sort of extra charge on the goods when they arrive here. Tho even factoring in 30% on top of the online price still makes the savings look rather exciting, specially when i add all the components together.

As far as the sony deck is concerned, i sourced an outfit in Melb that sell FM converters, mainly to all thos muzzas who r buying up those clapped out grey soarers and sylvias.

I think i mite go ahead and order just the rear speakers, use that as a trial for this audio site www.infinitecaraudio.com. As to not incur huge taxes, i mite have to order the parts and ship them in seperate bundles. Can i simply call customs and inquire, do u guys know the exact department to call????

When i recieve my credit bill, i guess ill c what extra charges ive incured on the clear lenses. I can still use the credit card, so the Aus government hasnt sapped all my funds just yet
Old 04-14-2003, 01:49 PM
apsilon

Just call customs in your state, they should be able to answer your questions but don't be too surprised if what they tell you is different than what happens. Rather common with government departments unfortunately.

Audio parts may attract a different rate than car parts.

Also if you do need to pay import duty customs may hold the package and you'll have to go and pick it up. Services like UPS will take care of the whole process for you but charge extra of course.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:31 AM
CAR2

I ordered the sill plates from courtesyparts.com - they are the most reasonable so far - about 80 US shipped to Oz. This frees up the existing plates which have 2 nice "Z" emblems. I got the local trimmer to make me up 2 floor mats for $40 AUS and he fixed the spare Z's to them. As far as I can see they indistinguishable from the genuine at about $300! (Grrrrr!!!)
Old 04-15-2003, 12:37 AM
SHIFTZ

hahaha very clever CARZ, im hoping the dealer will give me the luxury mats and boot mat for free when i pick the car up. I'll also be pointing at those aluminium sills too

He has to make up for the lack of xenons. Im just going to order a set from Japan i think, if i have ne funds left after my audio install grrrr