Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

Finally got my Z - My Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 01:39 AM
Z350Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by apsilon
Richie, are you sure it was the Hella HID that caused the problem? An unrelated system 3 months later? Could have been unrelated or was this a common problem in the BMW community?
Sorry for my bad description.... as soon as I put in the hella hid system, the SMG display went wrong immediately, and i thought that shouldn't really matter because I know what gear am I in anyway.... it could "somtimes" also be solved if I turned the head light on with a bit of throttle input (around 2000 rpm).... so I was aware of this problem from the very beginning already... right after that, about 3 month later, the whole instrument cluster just went crazy.... first was the milage display LED problem, then later on it came with the indicator problems... and somehow no matter how much I revved the engine up while turning the headlights on, the smg display just screwed everytime showing as broken LED digit.... (missing secionts in the LED display)....

So that's my conclusion.... don't use the after market one, you will not notice any problem at the very beginning, but might screw your computer system later on as it might cause a lot of electrical problems...

I will post the picture shortly after my dinner tonight on my bulb colour!!! you guys will be disappointed!! It was DAMN blue on my M3, but fairly bad on Z.... Same type of bulb (Philips Crystal Vision), but different types.... M3 used H1 but Z uses H7

cheers,

richie

Last edited by Z350Lover; 05-05-2003 at 01:43 AM.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:49 AM
apsilon

OK then, sounds like it was definitely the lights that caused the problem.

I'm not particularly interested in the colour of the lights. To be honest I prefer as close to white as possible. Hmm I guess that means I do care about colour.

Don't forget to include what these Phillips globes are rated at and whether you feel they're brighter than stock.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:55 AM
SHIFTZ

Guys im gonna take a pic of my headlights too....

I replaced parkers (H6W), fog (H1), headlights (H7) and high beams (H1) with Philips Blue Vision.

Ill paste em tonite

BRB!
Old 05-05-2003, 02:14 AM
SHIFTZ

Bad news no can do....

My bro is being tight with the digital camera and wont let me play around with it to turn the flash off.

Neway, the Philips Blue Vision r way brighter than standard Halogen globes. I rarely need my fogs on at night, rather for aesthetics now.

With the fogs off the headlight output color is ice blue, but with fog lights on, the combined output turns to a creamy white given the fogs r higher output.

http://www.eur.lighting.philips.com/...luevision.html

Richie, u cant use H1s for headlight on the Z, their way too bright.....Like those ***s in HSVs putting their fogs on during the day. The BMWs tho use H1s because the globe is behind a closed beam, i.e; u cant actually c the globe in the headlight assembly.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:22 AM
apsilon

So is their a particular part number for these Phillips bulbs? Approx price? I might give them a try.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:59 AM
SHIFTZ

Aps u can buy em from AutoBarn....H7 were about $59, H1 were around $80.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:07 AM
Z350Lover

Hello guys,

I am back from my dinner now!! Time to post some pictures!!!

Okay... the 1st two are the current Philips Crystal Vision H7 bulbs (4000K) in my Z.... the 3rd one shows the philips crystal vistion h1 bulbs (4000K) in my m3, and the last one shows the Hella Xenon light system in my m3 (6000k) as well....

cheers and enjoy!

richie

Last edited by Z350Lover; 05-05-2003 at 03:15 AM.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:27 AM
apsilon

Just looking at the Philips site it appears the Vision Plus is the brightest bulb. Is that correct? I was going to email Philips but their contact link goes nowhere.

The Z uses H7 right? I might pick some up on the weekend.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:30 AM
SHIFTZ

Wow that looks good Rich, i like that color on the Z. My Philips rnt as blue as that, and to think Philips call my globes BlueVision yet ur Crystal Vision r bluer.

Im gonna grab a set of H7 from AutoBarn tomoz and fit em on the Alf, c what they look like.

Rich have u changed the parker globes too???

Also, u should fit those Philips silver vision indicator globes, it would get rid of that orange reflection at the top of the light.

Im fanatical about that stuff, i love everything clear/silver.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:54 AM
Z350Lover

I know it is off topic, but just saw those photos I took on my ex-car.... want to share with you guys... here are a few pics!

Enjoy it!

cheers,

richie

Last edited by Z350Lover; 05-05-2003 at 04:06 AM.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:24 AM
Z350Lover

Originally posted by SHIFTZ
Richie, u cant use H1s for headlight on the Z, their way too bright.....Like those ***s in HSVs putting their fogs on during the day. The BMWs tho use H1s because the globe is behind a closed beam, i.e; u cant actually c the globe in the headlight assembly.
As my understanding is that we cannot use H1 is because we don't have that sort of H1 base on our headlight assembly... we can use H1 for sure because our Z car is using projector as well as all BMW cars!

Sam, I am very sure that all the S15 in aussie don't have hid system at all (I have 4 friends who own that car).... but they run projector headlight which gives you the affect of a brighter look.... also you can see the change in colour is because of the plastic case of the headlight... you can notice that by just looking at the Z car... it changes colour at different angels too!

I know why our Z doesn't have "stronger" headlight colour already... because our projector lamp isn't a sealed unit compare to my m3 and s15... therefore, those yellowish light will escape from those holes and it makes our headlight look at bit yuky.... if it is a sealed projector, I am sure I will have the same effect as what I used to have on my m3.... so bluish and BRIGHT!!!

cheers,

richie
Old 05-05-2003, 05:34 AM
SHIFTZ

ahhh Projector headlamps....thanks Rich for clearing that up and ur right. Its the same as those EF-EL XR Falcons with the round lights. I can picture the look of the headlight on the 200sx and ur right its the same as the E36 BMWs.

Those globes u fitted Rich, the Crystal Vision, r great. I wouldnt be dissapointed with them at all. If u want it bluer, just change the parkers to blue globes. That would fill some of the light cluster with a darker blue and contrast nicely. And i wouldnt bother about legal issues, how often would u drive the Z with just parkers on. I only ever use parkers on my Alfa when i have the fogs on at dusk time....just for the look thats all.
Old 05-08-2003, 03:05 AM
apsilon

Seeing as how this has become the unofficial Aussie headlight thread I thought I'd ask how do you remove the bulbs? I had a *very* quick look today and it doesn't look as though they're accessible via the engine bay. Are they changed via the wheel wheel? If so is there enough room to do it without removing the wheel?
Old 05-09-2003, 02:49 PM
apsilon

Just got back from my first open road drive albeit a short one. Drove a bit up north along the freeway so I try 6th and cruise control (never had cruise control before, nice on long trips) and then back along the old pacific hwy.

I'm still breaking it in so held back but even so got a feel for the car. Tyres aren't real good once you start to push a bit, could be worse though I suppose. Understeer is easy to induce but isn't as bad as some had made out IMO. May be worse at higher speeds but I kept it under 100kph on the old road. Turn in response is still a little slow IMO but that could be due to the MX-5 that I'm comparing it to. All in all not bad.
Old 05-10-2003, 03:44 PM
harryw

Default Bulbs

Aps,

According to the manual you change the bulbs by taking off the "fender protector" (yes, it is the American manual!).

I can't help as far as if you need to take the wheels off ( as I don't have my Z yet), the manual makes no mention of it though.

Hope this helps.

H
Old 05-11-2003, 12:15 AM
apsilon

Yeah, I had a look at the manual today. I can only assume that fender protector is inside the wheel well. Couldn't make it easy could they.

I've got to pick up a workshop manual. Anyone know if the dealers have them available yet?
Old 05-11-2003, 02:05 AM
SHIFTZ

I realised this has become the joint headlight/apsilon impressions thread but i didnt want to start a new thread for this.....

Yesterday, sat morning, my dad scored a black on orange manual track demo from the local dealer, and told me we had the car all day. After pondering inside and outside the car for a good 20mins, my dad and i headed off down Wallan way.

Having not driven a manual for quite some time, and only driven an auto touring so far, i was glad to find the manual box was nice n smooth with short enough throws.

The car had only 6700km on it, but this didnt stop us fanging it. To be honest, after driving the auto, i was hoping there would b a bit more power in the manual....but there really wasnt. It is quick for an N.A. V6, and i did realise the power came on smoothly and progressively, but there wasnt much of an engine note, rather just a loudening boom that didnt change in tune.

Back home and in my estate, i tried throwing it round some traffic islands and roundabouts and u can feel the weight of the car.

I noticed the understeer too, but im happy with that, i wouldnt want a lose rwd car for everyday use neway. U can invoke oversteer, by using a lower gear and prodding the throttle, but id leave tyre burning for the traffic lights

Ive said b4 that i wasnt comfortable with the seating position, but spending more than 2 hours in the car, i really really liked it. U feel nice and cosy inside.....i can picture myself driving this car everyday, even tho passers by may only c my head LOL.

In conclusion, an intake would def add a bit more character to the engine noise, and im still lookin forward to picking up my Z come July. Now i just gotta concentrate on selling my car.
Old 05-11-2003, 07:08 AM
SHIFTZ

oooops one more thing.......

umm y rnt there any mirrors on the sunvisors??? The US cars have them, theyre even illuminated, but Nissan Aus decided not to let us have them......thats just LOST!

I dont know about u guys, but seems we are paying more money for the cars compared to US and Japan, and r getting less features......xenons, dipping mirror, sun visors

Oh wells, i guess that will be another spend sometimes its the little things.......
Old 05-11-2003, 05:50 PM
Z350Lover

Originally posted by apsilon
Seeing as how this has become the unofficial Aussie headlight thread I thought I'd ask how do you remove the bulbs? I had a *very* quick look today and it doesn't look as though they're accessible via the engine bay. Are they changed via the wheel wheel? If so is there enough room to do it without removing the wheel?
You need to jack the car up before you can access the headlight assembly... you DON'T need to take the wheels off at all... but you are required to take the inner front fender off (there are 2 fenders at each side)... Mmm.... you don't really need to take off the entirely front fender, just need to release 3 bolts in the fender and 2 bolts under the bumper. After opening the fender, you can see a round cap. open it, then you have total access to the light bulbs.... took me about 1 hour to 1.5 hours to get it done at the first time!

cheers,

richie
Old 05-12-2003, 03:09 AM
nsw350z

Considering our improving dollar, you would think that you could put the little items on the car.....but this is typical of all car manufacturers

Quick Reply: Finally got my Z - My Impressions