Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

New Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 08:38 PM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had gathered that brake pads were consumables as are tyres etc but

If you were driving in exactly the same way day-to-day or under controlled normal driving conditions for the life of OEM pads and the life of aftermarket ones, would the aftermarket ones last longer than the OE? As you say at the track is a different situation.

Im just seeing if there are benefits for normal people in choosing aftermarket pads. (I dont consider myself a normal person , but I do know alot of them and this could be useful info for them.)
Old 04-07-2004, 10:11 PM
DavidM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you were driving in exactly the same way day-to-day or under controlled normal driving conditions for the life of OEM pads and the life of aftermarket ones, would the aftermarket ones last longer than the OE?

OK, if I had to answer with a simple "yes" or "no" then it would be "no".

If I was to dwelve into it, then the longevity of a pad has to do a lot with it's construction and that is not always related to it's braking-power. I'm sure the OE pads are good quality pads as they are made by Brembo (if I'm not mistaken). So getting an aftermarket pad that will be better for day-to-day driving will not be an easy thing.

Generally speaking when you brake, something needs to wear-out (afterall, you can't have braking without friction). It will be either your pads, disks or tyres. Since we all have ABS, it's rally down to the disks and pads. Again, generally speaking, you're better off weaking the pads than the disks ... though, you can't get by without some wear being taken up by the disks.

So having a long-lasting pad is not always a good thing as there's a good chance that your disks are wearing prematurely.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:39 AM
nuff

I've been considering getting RB74 brake pads, any comments on how they perform on 350z? Also how dusty are they compared to the stock brembo pads? If i can go 4-5 days without cleaning the wheels I'm happy, since right now my wheels are dusty after 2-3 days.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:21 AM
MR RIZK

Some guys love them on their WRX's but I have never tried them. "Most" reports I have heard were +ve
Old 06-07-2004, 06:58 AM
DavidM

I've been considering getting RB74 brake pads, any comments on how they perform on 350z?

I had them on the S2000 and they were great. They were good to the disks and they braked well on the track as well as on the road. They were also very quiet (ie. most perfromance pads squeal when they are cold).

I don't have them on the 350Z as I have the Ferodos. Still, I would not say that the RB74s were too dusty ... they were a lot less 'dusty' than the previous performance-pads. Also I would not say that the OE Brembo pads were any less dusty. Still, hard to compare them between two cars.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:35 AM
nuff

David, which Ferodos did you get? How do they compare to stock pads?
Old 06-07-2004, 07:35 AM
ottonove

nuff, i have a set of NISMO front brake pads for Track Brembos, still brand new in box.
If you're interested let me know
cheers
Old 06-07-2004, 07:47 AM
ypwpat

why you decide not to use them?
Old 06-07-2004, 04:44 PM
ottonove

Originally posted by ypwpat
why you decide not to use them?
coz Im going to sell the zed
Old 06-07-2004, 04:49 PM
mchapman

Originally posted by ottonove
coz Im going to sell the zed

Your doing what now? Why? What will you get instead?
Old 06-07-2004, 05:23 PM
ottonove

Originally posted by mchapman
Your doing what now? Why? What will you get instead?
I will be moving overseas to work soon, not sure now if I will get another zed there or not.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:32 PM
nuff

ottonove, I'm sorry, but I'm not interested, I'm looking for pads which can take more heat. On the performance nissan website it mentions that the NISMOs are only good up to 370C.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:07 PM
DavidM

David, which Ferodos did you get?

As far as I know there are only 2 types which you can get for the 350Z Brembos. One set is full on 'race only' hard compound, and the other set is a track/road pad. I have the 'softer' track/road pad in the car ... the code on the box is FCP998H.

That is what I have at the front. At the rear I have Comp2 pads from 'Race Brakes'.

How do they compare to stock pads?

The Ferodos are noisier as they squeak when cold ... they stop the 'queaking' once there is some heat in them. I don't find them under-performing when cold though ... they always have good bite and consistancy. Besides that, they have a very similar feel to the Brembos ... to be honest, I'm not sure if I could pick them appart by feel.

Also I had them on the track (ie. Winton) and they performed flawlesly. Absolutelly no fade and no variation if feel. No matter how hard I pushed them, they just pulled up .... and even more importantly, my disks still look like new (ie. no wapring, no scorching and no scarring). Last of all, they seem to have held up well as I still have plenty (ie. most) of the pads left even after the track day. It's not uncommon to go through a set of pads on the day ... even though 2 - 3 track-days is more common. It looks like the Ferodos can handle another 4+ track days ... but that's me just speculating at the moment.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:50 PM
nuff

David, I think they sound like the pads I'm looking for. I've heard that the noise is only obvious doing 5-0km/h stops, is that true? How much did they cost and where did you get them? I think if I get them I'll get fronts and rears.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:05 PM
ottonove

I had Ferodos on my BMW with AP Racing calipers. and they squeak when they are cold (ie. normal day to day driving), everytime my friend drives my car they complain somethings is not right with the brakes.

nuff, FYI, just checked NISMO site, my R-Tune brake pads are good for up to 500C, and have a friction index of 0.5

NISMO
Old 06-07-2004, 08:06 PM
mchapman

If you 100% focused on perforamance then just ignore this post.

Careful not to under estimate the noise they create and the possible image that your car will portray while they are squeaking. I saw a nice very dark green R32 GTR coming down the road and it looked very chunky with nice mags etc, but when it pulled up to the crossing its brakes were squeaking like someone draging their fingers down a blackboard. It sounded like **** and made the cars image look like spam.

People who bought flywheels got rid of them because of the noise, im sure these brake noises would be far worse.

Last edited by mchapman; 06-07-2004 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:03 PM
DavidM

I've heard that the noise is only obvious doing 5-0km/h stops, is that true?

Yep, that's right ... and only when you're applying little brake pressure. It's hard to hear with your windows up so it's not too bad .... I've had a lot worse 'squeaking' with other pads/cars. Also it's mostly prominant when it's realy, really cold here in Melbourne (ie. around 10deg) ... when it gets closer to 20deg, the noise is not there at all (at least not that I have noticed).

I do not like 'noises' coming from the car, but the noise from the pads does not bother me at all as it's rare and quiet. Even if it did, all I have to do is hit the brakes hard from 80kph or so, and the brakes are warmed up enough for the noise to be gone.

How much did they cost and where did you get them? I think if I get them I'll get fronts and rears.

I got them through (and fitted at) 'Race Brakes'. They charged me around $220 for the fronts including fitting. My rears cost me around $150 including fitting.
Old 06-09-2004, 07:17 AM
nuff

David, are you sure the FCP998H is the correct pad? I've been told by a lot of people that it's too big and the correct one is FCP1298. The FCP998H is about 1.4mm taller. Did you get a good look at the pads and compared their sizes before they have been installed?
Old 06-09-2004, 06:29 PM
DavidM

David, are you sure the FCP998H is the correct pad? I've been told by a lot of people that it's too big and the correct one is FCP1298. The FCP998H is about 1.4mm taller. Did you get a good look at the pads and compared their sizes before they have been installed?

FCP998H is what is says on the box ... which i pulled out again to take another look. I did not look at the pads myself ... I just dropped the car off, and then picked it up with the new pads and fluid so I can't say what they looked like.

There is another bunch of numbers on the box - 21471 14,00 ... that's about all can find on the box that could be of significance.

Though, I do know the pads that fit into Zed are the same size as got the GTR ... that's at least what the guys at 'Race Brakes' were telling me.

ps. I should have asked this a lot earlier - but you have a Track model with the Brembos like me ... right?
Old 06-09-2004, 06:44 PM
nuff

David, yes I do have the track model. I've just ordered FCP998H for the fronts since you didn't have any problems with them as they have a bigger surface area, which should aid with braking I think. I've also ordered FCP116H for the rear if any one wants to know for future reference.

Quick Reply: New Brake Pads