Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

350Z vs 350Z (Unichip)

Old 07-15-2004, 05:52 AM
DavidM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350Z vs 350Z (Unichip)

I met up with DavidC and checked out his 350Z with the Unichip and Nison suspension. The Nismo suspension package really impressed me. DavidC was kind enough to let me drive his car on a road with a few nice bends, and even though I had no complaints about the stock 350Z Track's suspension, the Nismo suspension provides a noticable imprvement. Not only does it seem to ride better (which to me is not that importnt), it seems to 'settle' much better at the limit (which is important to me). The stock car has a little bit of uncertainly as the suspension fully loads up ... not enough to bother me, but certainly enough for me to notice the improvement on DavidC's car. Not only does it make the car nicer to drive on a day-to-day basis, it also improves it on the limit. I'm sure the front end had more bite as well (even though it was still not enough for me with the OME sized tyres at the front). Nothing that wider front tyres will not fix.

Also we did some side-by-side comparisions between his and mine car. We both have 350Z Track models, and we both have Hi-tech exhausts. DavidC has the Unickip installed. We also have exactly the same tyres, but while mine are on OME 18" wheels, DavidC has the RAYS 18" alloys. Besides that DavidC has very nice Recaro seats and body-kit, while my car is stock in that respect.

Anyway, it looks like there's very little difference between mine and DavidCs' cars in terms of acceleration. The cars were pretty much identical, but with a slight edge doing to DavidC's car. We did a couple rolling start test (ie. 2 runs for each) and we alternated who called the start. Here is how things went:

- Test #1, rolling start 10 - 120kph, both cars in 1st gear:
First time we run, I think DavidC got on power 1st and the Unichip car pulled instantly a car-length on me and then another car-lengths before we shut down at around 120kph. At no point was I gaining any grund back .... at best I was stabilizing the gap.

The start was a bit more even when we did the same run again. Thuogh, I probably got on power a fraction earlier and pulled away about 1/2 a car within the 1st gear. Then things looked about even until we hit about 80kph in 2nd, where it looked like DavidC started making some gruund back. It looked like he pulled back about 1/4 car length back on me before we shut down at about 120kph. So at the end of the run I was still ahead about 1/4 car-length.

- Test #2, rolling start 10 - 120kph, both cars in 2nd gear:
This was probably the closest run as we stayed side by side all the way to about 80kph. Thefore it looked like we got on the power at the same time finaly. Though after 80, DavidC's car pulled away about 1/4 car-length before we shut down at around 120kph again.

When we thried it again, I probably got on power 1st as I pulled away about 1/2 a car-length in the 1st hear. Then it looked like it stayed like that until we shut down at around 120kph. Though, DavidC's car was in my blind-spot so I did not have a good sight of it. He is in a better position to say what things looked like from his perspective as my car was in his line of sigh.

So in summary:
- There is very little difference between mine and DavidCs' cars in terms of acceleration. There is probably no more than 1/4 of a car-length difference between the two cars up to 120kph. Though, I never made any ground back, while DavidC did, so I'd put that 1/4 car length advantage to his car.
- Who-over got on the power 1st would get ahead and stay ahead ... I doubt it would change before the end of the 4th gear, but I'm just speculating here as we only went to ~120kph.
- My but-dyno is not senstitive enough to pick up any power difference between our two cars. When I was driving DavidC's car, I was trying giving it some stick in the first 5 gears and even at lower revs. The car felt great, but I could not notice any difference just by the 'seat of the pants'. Then again, I doubt I could feel 4kW difference, which is how the APS dyno puts us.

ps. I'd be good to get DavidC's perspective on out 'test', and also can you tell me how much fuel you had. I had only about 1/4 tank left.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:46 AM
nismor33

Thanks for the post.

I was starting to think why I would bother with the Unichip for 4-6kw at the price point it is.

I am not bagging the product or APS but all this talk for 6kw?!?!?!? I cant see this making too much difference on the road as you pointed out.

Better off keeping the money, adding to it and eventually getting the TT system.

Mike
Old 07-15-2004, 07:36 AM
zuff

thanks for the summary!

I suspected there wasn't that much in it. The guys from Croydon in Sydney recommended against it due to cost. It's a definit if you get the TT though.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:40 PM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good write up DavidM,

DavidC,
Is your HiTech exhaust the same as all the other ones, I remember seeing a post where you had the prototype which didnt seem to have the mid-pipe that the others have. Is this the case?

DavidM,
Both your power levels on the APS dyno were very similar to start with so although this is a good comparison, it might not paint that accurate a picture as to the gains with the unichip. If we had a comparison of DavidCs car to yours before the Unichip he might have been 3car lengths behind and now with the Unichip he is the equal or slightly better.

nismor33, Zuff,
So I wouldnt rely too heavily on this comparison to gauge the gains from the unichip.

Last edited by mchapman; 07-15-2004 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:11 PM
Z350Lover

DavidM + DavidC:

Thanks for the review, that was really great!!!

Sorry that I couldn't make it to the meeting last night due to the late meeting held at the office.

When are you guys gonna meet up again? It will be interesting to see DavidC's suspension setup as well because my new home drive way allows me to lower the car now!!!

cheers,

richie
Old 07-15-2004, 05:29 PM
ZZZ-35

Where to start, we had fun and yes my car would be a round half a cars length quicker over 1/4 mile but without the Unchip DavidM's car has 7kW more on the same dyno therefore I would be down a car lenght. There are so many variables to take in to the equation, I'm around 25kg heavier, I had half a tank of fuel DavidM's had quarter, I've had Mobil 1 in the car from 5000k's DavidM's still uses Mineral oil so mine's not loosened up as much ?
all that know is my car runs better with the Unichip than before.

DavidM

Remember when you drove my car you have an extra 90kg of mass/mess (he driving my car God!!) in the passenger seat so that may have nulled the effect of the Unichip.
The thing is if you'll going to mod your car then you'll need different fuel and ignition maps to get the right state of tune for those mods and the fuel your using.

Thanks DavidM, good fun and to catch up.

David
Old 07-15-2004, 05:40 PM
mchapman

DavidM,

DavidC's Rays are different from the 18" Rays you can order through Nissan.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:47 PM
frosty

Tyre diameters/gearing?

FRIZZLE
Old 07-15-2004, 05:56 PM
DavidM

Both your power levels on the APS dyno were very similar to start with so although this is a good comparison, it might not paint that accurate a picture as to the gains with the unichip.

That's right. My car just with the exhaust dynoed at 162kW (ie. about 7 - 8kW more than than DaveC's with with the same exhaust and on the same dyno). So it could be that I could be lucky and have a naturally stronger car.

This is not a true Unichip vs no Unichip comparo, but it does give us some perspective. It just goes to show us that you could get the chip (or whatever mods), and even though you'll have gains and have a quicker car, there could be another car without it just as quick (or very close to it) without the mods.

If we had a comparison of DavidCs car to yours before the Unichip he might have been 3car lengths behind and now with the Unichip he is the equal or slightly better.

Absolutely. I'd say that the exhaust on my car gives me good 4 car-lengths over 400m. That is at least what I've deduced from my 'comparisions'.

all that know is my car runs better with the Unichip than before

DavidC mentions that he can actually feel the difference with the chip ... in particular at lower revs and in higher gears. I'd take his word, as I noticed the difference between my car being stock and with the exhaust + filter.

For me the car felt great, I just could not feel the difference between our two cars .... maybe I would have if I drove DavidC's car before and after the chip.

There are so many variables to take in to the equation, I'm around 25kg heavier, I had half a tank of fuel DavidM's had quarter

Yep, I had about 20kg less fuel and I'm probably 15 - 20kg lighter. You have the RAYS and Recaros to 'help' a bit, but it would not be enough to offset the 50kgs .... maybe it offsets 20 - 25kg. That would still leave good 25 - 30kg difference bwtween our cars when we run, and that has to to make some (no matter how small) difference.

he driving my car God!!

Thanks David ;-) I really enjoyed punting the car around with your suspension setup. If felt awesome.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:07 PM
Z350Lover

Come to think about it..... DavidC and me both got our cars every early right after the zed was released in australia.... heard that there are heaps of different versions of software for our cars already, and the older cars might be running the older program that produces less power?

cheers,

richie
Old 07-16-2004, 12:01 AM
DavidM

DavidC's Rays are different from the 18" Rays you can order through Nissan. ... Tyre diameters/gearing?

I'm not sure about the wheels ... though, they look just like the 18" RAYS that you can buy from Nissan. Either way, the tyres on his car are exactly the same as on mine and hence the same diameter/gearing.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:31 AM
KY350

Originally posted by ZZZ-35
Remember when you drove my car you have an extra 90kg of mass/mess (he driving my car God!!) in the passenger seat so that may have nulled the effect of the Unichip.
DavidM - if you're saying that you could not notice a difference in acceleration in DavidC's car with driver and passanger compared to yours, with just driver, then that would equate to slightly better performance for DavidC's car as you are hauling an extra 90kg.

My car feels quicker with low fuel levels than when full, so I suspect that a 90kg passanger would take a little of the edge off acceleration.

However, I am surprised that overall, DavidC's car may be only 1/2 car in front by the end of 400m. Looking at the gains shown on the dyno chart (throught the rev range), I would have expect the gap to be about 2 car length by 400m, that is a big a the gains that the HT produced over stock.

Perhaps as was stated earlier, DavidC's Z had less power to start with and the Unichip has allowed him to catch up to or slightly exceed your Z+HT acceleration.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:01 AM
DavidM

if you're saying that you could not notice a difference in acceleration in DavidC's car with driver and passanger compared to yours, with just driver.

To be honest, I can't feel the difference in my car when I have full tank of fuel, or running-on-empty. Same with passanger/no-passanger .... maybe my 'but dyno' is not that sensitive.

Perhaps as was stated earlier, DavidC's Z had less power to start with and the Unichip has allowed him to catch up to or slightly exceed your Z+HT acceleration.

Considering how consistant the APS readings seem to be, that's probably the most likely scenario.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:34 AM
ZZZ-35

They are the standard 18" Rays that Nissan offer for $4400.00, my signoff list has my new 18" Nismo rims listed these are the same as Z350Lover's, there on there way from Performance Nissan US. I do have one of the very first HiTech exhaust's including the Y pipe and maybe it's down on power ie it only produced 14.5kw from the standard system, later versions may have benefited from improved production.

My winge.

Lets not get carry away again comparing apples with oranges, the facts are that the fitting of the Unichip gave my car an extra 11rwkw's more than it had before, period (dyno proved). The facts are that even the US TS ECU reflash only average 9rwhp, at lease the Unichip can be fitted,tuned and warranted locally and to me thats important, it can be use with APS's TT or any other TT or S/C should you decide on that type of mod, it can also be removed easily should the need arise (again important to me). Can I also add that I've been around cars for a long time (30+yrs) and have a degree in mechcanical engineering, I find APS to be standout operation in this world of short cuts and cheap crap products, I find Peter to be a straight talker and he tells it as it is. I have nothing to gain other than to improve my car's performance and to pass on the facts to this forum as I did with the HiTech system. What's in it for me let's see, my car being used as a test car, a lot of my time to have dynos done and in the case of HiTech having different versions fitted to the car. I have choosen to persue these Aussie companies to get some local products for our cars and thereby keep the costs down for me and you. I hope I don't sound like I'm preaching or forcing one product verus another on you but please take these facts at face value to be as accurate as my engineering background has taught me and not to be flowered up with emotions.

I agreed to meet up with DavidM because just like Richie (Z350Lover) I belive the Unichip to benifical to the 350Z and for the hell of it we ran against each other (not to scientific ) and a quarter to half a cars lenght is a winning margin in any ones book, if DavidM had a Unchip in this car I have no doubts his car would be quicker, it has benifited Richie's car also.

Here endeth the lession, let the flaming being.

Thanks David
Old 07-16-2004, 04:16 AM
Z350Lover

DavidC,

I do agree on you on the points you mentioned above! I am at your side!

The good thing about Unichip is that it is tuned to suit your car with all the mods onboard... and it does make the car goes a lot smoother than before... I think that's the most important thing at the end of the day.... we are happy customers (just like those hi-tech customers) and APS is an happy vendor who can provide more great parts for our cars!

cheers,

richie
Old 07-16-2004, 04:02 PM
mchapman

Originally posted by DavidM
DavidC's Rays are different from the 18" Rays you can order through Nissan. ... Tyre diameters/gearing?

I'm not sure about the wheels ... though, they look just like the 18" RAYS that you can buy from Nissan. Either way, the tyres on his car are exactly the same as on mine and hence the same diameter/gearing.

Cool they are the right wheels, I was going off what was in his signature.
Old 07-24-2004, 05:51 PM
omg

Originally posted by ZZZ-35
The facts are that even the US TS ECU reflash only average 9rwhp, at lease the Unichip can be fitted,tuned and warranted locally and to me thats important, it can be use with APS's TT or any other TT or S/C should you decide on that type of mod, it can also be removed easily should the need arise (again important to me).
It's probably worth mentioning however that the reflash hardware is available in Aus and is currently being tested on a number of 350z's (from completely standard cars to those running in GTP). While it is still being tested here the workshop has recently flown the experts from the US out to australia to assist them in getting the learning curve as short an steep as possible so it's expected that the product will be ready to go to market within a few months. This important news with this is it will give australian fans the choice of aftermarket ecu solutions which can be fitted, tuned and warranted locally.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:11 PM
apsilon

Hi Greg.

Things are looking up locally. I think this trend of slower development cycles is going to become more typical as cars get more complex electickery in them.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:03 PM
omg

Yep, that and they want to get it exactly right before doing anything commercially, I don't think anyone who's spent 65k on a car will be impressed if they're paying for a workshop to do development work on their car. In the case of the remaps the addresses within the aus ecu are different to the japanese and american ecus so for the most part the mapping has had to start again from scratch. On the upside though the workshop flew the guy out from the states last week and spent the weekend on the dyno mapping out some of the less common maps (fuel and ignition were easy to find/map, it was things like the cam timing and temp correction maps which were more difficult) so they have got a nice jumpstart on the development process. It's still at least a few months away but the good news is work is well and truly underway. We may just be calling for you car soon matt
Old 07-24-2004, 08:28 PM
apsilon

Too late, I sold it last weekend. Decided it wasn't for me. Not sure what I'll be replacing it with yet. I'm going to take a break for a while and just watch some developments. Now the only transport I have is a '92 Charade and the MTB I picked up this morning. Not sure which is faster.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 350Z vs 350Z (Unichip)