Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

APS TT First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 06:49 PM
ZZZ-35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APS TT First Impressions

I got to pick my transformed APS 350Z M6 TT Monday morning from APS’s engineering facility in Croydon, opening the hood/bonnet the kit looks good, it looks pretty much stock for the uninitiated, even looking at the front of the car the intercooler does not stand out which is ok by me. On starting the car the first thing I noticed was now much quieter the exhaust note was, it’s deep but much quieter. For those who didn’t know I’ve had the APS dual exhaust on the car for the last two month awaiting the TT’s release, anyway I pull out of APS’s and drove away slowly at first, on to the hi-way moderate acceleration, I could faintly hear the TT’s spooling up and very thing felt quite civilised, the motor felt smooth and strong. The road ahead was clear of traffic time to drop it down a cog and see what she got, HOLY SH#T HOLY SH#T man this car’s got some mumbo, the redline comes so quick sh%t it’s fast, dam fast (must watchout my licence is an endangered species), all jokes aside this is a seriously fast car (mid 12sec) but also a pleassure to drive, no lag or jerking just smooth power all the way to redline. I’m glad I’ve got the wider rubber 275’s on the rears and 245 on the fronts plus all the addon’s that were planned with this major mod in mind. In all honoresty I couldn't be more stoked, the car now goes as good as it looks, now where are those STI and EVO’s (just joking I’m a very responsible driver), thank you APS for a great job and for a smooth transformation.

Pictures soon.

David

Last edited by ZZZ-35; 10-12-2004 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:59 PM
ZZZ-35

I will post another review after a few more days of turbo pleasure.

Just like to add, of the four people who have been in the car for a demo, they all said f%#k that's dam fast, too fast, but all remarked how well it drives on normal throttle openings.

David
Old 10-12-2004, 07:00 PM
nang3

2 words for you mate - BAR STARD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just jokes, congrats and i look forward to hearing and seeing more about your new ZTT..

BTW if you dont mind me asking, how much cheese did your catback system cost ya??
Old 10-12-2004, 07:27 PM
Scandrew

Very nice

My brother is intending on TT'ing his 350z soon as well. The basic kit + install = $15,400.

What else would you recommend doing to the engine just to be on the safe side to save travelling up and down to Melbourne from Sydney. I heard mention of conrods/pistons earlier?

How much would be a rough final cost including those above mentioned extras?

How soon will he be able to get his car TT'd?

Peter quotes about $10k - $11k for new internals and clutch. One could probably almost get another motor for that price should the worst happen.
Is that what cost is expected on top of the basic kit?

Also, we're in Sydney. What company would you guys recommend for insurance on this type of car once it's TT'd?

Could we also get some videoclips of your car fanging around as well!

Last edited by Scandrew; 10-12-2004 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:32 PM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second that, BASTARD!!! j/k, Great work.

Driving away and hearing the turbos spool would make you sooo excited, hearing that and knowing when you plant your foot all hell will break loose. I would have wet my pants, one way or another.

Last edited by mchapman; 10-12-2004 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:52 PM
Z350Lover

Congrats David!!!

Spoke to you on the phone and you sounded so happy about the power delivered by the TT kit... Enjoy it mate!!! Please give us more impression reports shortly!

Congrats APS!!!

There is nothing more important than happy/satisfied customers!!! Well done once again Peter!!!

cheers,

richie
Old 10-12-2004, 11:46 PM
frosty

Good luck to you ZZZ-35!

On my wish list - but i just wonder how to do the job if it takes three days and i'm 1000k away?

Peter - you might have some suggestions re this - can I sleep in the waiting room?

ps - my silver Z for sale (not the sunset) $53000 20000k

Anyone know anything about the VW R32?

Frozty

WTF? want to attatch a little Smilie - the window comes up - "max size of attachment 1 bytes!
Old 10-12-2004, 11:48 PM
KY350

Congratulations David. I'm surprised that your insurance quote is so cheap considering the performance of the TTZ (not to mention how attractive it will be for car thiefs - hope that's never a problem for you).

Be sure to describe the look of utter astonishment of drivers of other high performance vehicle that are left in the wake of the Z.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:29 AM
nang3

Hey frosty, give these guys a go for info on a VW R32 . . .

http://www.vwvortex.com/index.html
Old 10-13-2004, 02:05 AM
MR RIZK

Congrats,

Drive safely until there is a Porsche with a blonde bimbo in the passenger seat looking at you with a look that says "my boyfriends 911 is quicker than yours"

Ahh that brings back memories of my modded wrx.

Anyway enjoy it and drive it hard ..
Old 10-13-2004, 02:23 AM
MR RIZK

Did you find out what it made on the dyno.

I assume APS tuned it for ~8 PSI so was curious between the difference of 1.2 PSI was making.

Also. Have you left any stripes yet Even though I do not condone this type of behaviour.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:42 AM
TURBOHQ

Congrats once again on the TT Kit. So far it sounds great. I am too wandering how much boost does the car run and what power it makes at the wheels?
Have you taken off hard at the lights yet? Just wandering how the clutch is holding up?
Good Luck and happy driving
Old 10-13-2004, 03:43 AM
Perth 350z

Congrats David. I know how excited you were for this mod!!!!!

I hope you have nice sunny weather on the week-end so you can take it for a blast in the Dandenongs or down the Great Ocean Road ...... I know they're beconing you!!!
Old 10-13-2004, 04:21 AM
Perth 350z

David,

Did you see this thread on the first US install???

http://**********.com/forums/index.ph...opic=2502&st=0
Old 10-13-2004, 04:38 AM
ZZZ-35

Thanks to all the replies, it's been raining most of the day (I washed the car yesterday evening it does this every time, rains the next day, bugger!!!) anyway hooray for traction control, very handy with this much power at the threads.
The car is running an average of 6 - 7psi of boost peaking at around 8psi at max rpm, this is a mild tune on the conservative side, the base map was putting down some great numbers but APS thought this might be to much for my standard clutch setup so there's more to be had when the clutch is upgraded. Truth is I'm very happy with the performance as it is, for the moment anyway, I need to get at least a boost gauge, a much better set of brake pads for the Brembos maybe Endless Super Street Pads and of course a better clutch, by then who knows if I'll add more boost to the mid rpm range.

That the moment the clutch is doing fine I have'nt bein doing massive lauches from the lights I'm getting to know the car all over again, it's different sound's (psssssh) and its reaction to the throttle, it's a different beast to an N/A 350Z. One thing that I have noticed is that it's really nice being able to cruise around town in sixth gear instead of fifth with all this lovely torque.

Perth350Z

Sure have I've been watching/reading very post and threads on turbo charging the 350 for the last 6 months.

David

Last edited by ZZZ-35; 10-13-2004 at 04:43 AM.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:29 AM
DavidM

Hi David, congrats on the TT, and I'm sure that you won't be wishing for more power anytime soon ;-) We'll have to meet up again so that you can show me off your car (again) and take me for a spin.

Anyone know anything about the VW R32?

In UK mags they prefer it over all the current hot-hatches as well as WRX. Though, the WRX is always quicker by about 1/2sec to 100kph as well as 400m. Though, the R32 is very quick in higher gears and at lower (ie. non optimal) revs.

Locally they like the car, but are not fond of the suspension on our local roads.

http://www.vwvortex.com/index.html

Nice read, but IMHO not very objective as it seems to be sponsored by VW. For a more realistic test of the R32 here are the numbers (including Nurburgring laptime) from Sports Auto:
- 0-60kph = 3.3sec
- 0-100kph = 7.1sec
- 0-160kph = 16.6sec
- 0-200kph = 27.8sec
- 80-120kph (in 4th gear) = 5.7sec
- 80-120kph (in 5th gear) = 7.7sec
- 100-0kph = 37.1m
- 200-0kph = 149.0m (5.3sec)
- Nurburgring lap-time = 8:37 (for comparision the 350Z does it in 8:26)
- Hokenheim KK lap-time = 1:20.7 (for comparision the 350Z does it in 1:18.8)

Last edited by DavidM; 10-13-2004 at 05:36 AM.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:37 AM
mchapman

Hey notice how no one has avatars?
Old 10-13-2004, 05:45 AM
Scandrew

avatars have been disabled. I guess they're trying to save space and improve loading times. you have to download attachments now.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:00 AM
kitkos

David - Good for you. I am jealous.
Now for the inevitable questions from those of us “Up Over”…
Can you please list your set-up (mods)? And we need those Dyno numbers!
Both go into the equation we need to determine what set-up we will use.
Peter is great and has been a champ with all of his answers but his (APS's) dyno was on his car that was boosted a bit more than yours and probably had different mods.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:33 PM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by Z350Lover

Congrats APS!!!

There is nothing more important than happy/satisfied customers!!! Well done once again Peter!!!

cheers,

richie
Thanks richie and I'm very pleased for David who has been waiting patiently for the APS TT system for many months, he has a very cool Z car and the best I've seen to date.

Just goes to show how addictive the Z car is and there's just so many things you can do to personalise the Z car.

Many thanks to David for installing the first APS Intercooled Twin Turbo Z car in Australia, I hope you have an absolute hoot of a time over the coming years.

Thanks

Peter

Quick Reply: APS TT First Impressions