Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

ECU data acquisition?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 05:08 PM
vie2233hil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU data acquisition?

Sup,

Are there any devices that hook up to our ecu for data acquisition?
What devices do you guys use?
This one looks pretty good http://www.gtechpro.com/rr.html

Thanks
Old 03-21-2005, 05:56 PM
bigdaddy

the GTech is good for what it does, but it only does Lateral G's, Acceleration/Braking G's, and RPMs. Speed, location, etc. is not calculated. You can integrate it if you are math-oriented. There is a GPS-based system made by RacePak coming out soon that logs everything, including position and will even draw a map of the track. It's like $800.

http://www.racepak.com/

sean
Old 03-22-2005, 09:55 AM
dnguyent

I recently bought an used Gtech Pro Competition (same as the RR). The Gtech doesn't hook up to the ECU, as it basically measures acceleration, time, G's, etc...on its own. The only thing that it picks up from the car is the "electrical noise" from the AC outlet that it uses to estimate engine rpm. I haven't been successful at calibrating the RPMs in the Z, but I don't care about those measurements anyway.

I bought it mainly to datalog longitudinal and lateral g's along the course. I don't plan to pay any attention to the unit during the sessions, but will probably take a look at the graphs after the event.

I don't do drag runs, but the gtech is supposed to be pretty accurate once you get all the vehicle's data dialed in. I'm pretty impressed with it, but like I said, I probably use about 40% of it's capabilities, and would have loved to pay only 40% of what it is normally sold at.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:04 PM
Rob Hines

Default AIM on 350Z

While on the topic, has anyone ever used any of the AIM data acquistion products with a 350Z?

-Rob
Old 03-23-2005, 06:47 AM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the market right now for a video overlay data logger that plugs into the ecu for info as well. The only one I found that is ready to roll, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, is the DataCam2. It plugs into the ECU, overlays parameters on video and logs hours of data for $695. For another $200 you can get the accelerometers and draw track maps and get G forces. It has tons of optional stuff too.

BTW, stay away from the DL1 because it says you can plug it into the ECU, but that feature is not yet implemented. Learned that the hard way. :-(

www.datacam2.com