Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Recommend some track rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 05:58 AM
commasense

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend some track rotors

I've to get some new front rotors for my Track model soon, so I thought I'd see what you guys recommend for a moderately heavy track driver (43 track days since getting the car in late 2002) and FATT instructor.

I ran 20 track days before cracking became obvious on the stock rotors last spring. Last summer, after 28 track days, I replaced the stock rotors (fronts only) with the DBA slotted one-piece rotors from Stillen (cheaper than the same ones at 350 EVO).

The DBAs showed cracking after six track days. They've had 14 sessions now, and the cracks are getting pretty big. I think I'll change them before Seat Time on June 3, or immediately afterward.

I don't think I want to go for the DBA two-piece rotors at twice the price of the one-pieces. I'm thinking about the Brembo Sport replacements that Tire Rack has for $373.

What have you guys tried? What kind of wear do you get? What do you like? How much have you paid?

(BTW, my pads have been Cobalt Spec VR or Carbotech Panther XP.)

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:47 AM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were me, I'd consider springing for the StopTech 2-piece AeroRotor direct replacement kit that they make for the Track model.

It's the same rotor I have on my 332mm StopTech kit, and I have yet to see any cracking, accelerated wear, or any other problems after more than a dozen track days with the kit, using the Carbotech XP-8 compound. The initial replacement kit for the Track model is pricey at $584 for the front slotted rotors, but I would suspect that you can re-use the hats at replacement time, and just replace the disks (FYI - the price for a new disk for the 332*32 rotor is ~$200, and I would expect that it would be about the same for the track model replacement size.) Not bad for quality engineering, manufacturing, and support.

Good luck with you decision.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:18 AM
Nano

Yeah, agree

I think the stoptech floating rotors are the best alternative on the market for brembo equipped Zs. Not a cheap initial upgrade as the 4 corners will run for 1500$ I think, but as gary mentioned you can get replacement disks for much less.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:36 PM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cobalt just came out with OEM replacements at a very affordable price. http://www.cobaltfriction.com/produc...dProduct=53797

Should cost you about $400 for all four rotors shipped to your door.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:02 PM
daveh

Originally Posted by John
Cobalt just came out with OEM replacements at a very affordable price. http://www.cobaltfriction.com/produc...dProduct=53797

Should cost you about $400 for all four rotors shipped to your door.
Wow great find. I'll have to keep them in mind. Cobolt used to give a NASA discount too. Inquire before buying.
I know of some people with bimmers that are using the kragen "lifetime warranty" rotors and trading in every so often. I'm not sure of the quality of those though and if I'd trust my life on them.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:25 PM
commasense

(Hmmm. I thought I had posted this before, but it didn't show up for some reason.)

Gary: slotted, drilled or plain for the Aerorotors?

Has no one tried the Brembo Sports? I like the fact that they're Brembo, and they're reasonably priced, compared to the OEMs (which are $445 EACH!!!)

On the other hand, I'm thinking if I went for $100 rotors I wouldn't mind changing them more often. Getting 10 days out of them would be a better buy than 14 days from a $400 set (discounting the extra labor).

Who's got brake cooling? Should I be looking at that to extend the life of my rotors? Any recommendations for kits?
Old 05-24-2005, 04:51 AM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by commasense

Gary: slotted, drilled or plain for the Aerorotors?

Who's got brake cooling? Should I be looking at that to extend the life of my rotors? Any recommendations for kits?
I'm using the slotted rotors (sorry - I should have mentioned that.) StopTech offers drilled or slotted versions of their direct replacement kit, and I believe that you can even get blank friction disks at replacement time if you wanted to.

I've considered the front cooling kit from Nick at NTech, but I'm holding off just a little longer. I'd be more interested in a cooling kit for the rears, but nobody seems to offer one, and I haven't been able to figure out how I could do one myself.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:20 PM
Lerxst

At 15 lbs a piece, how do the Cobalt rotors compare to the other manufacturers?
Old 05-25-2005, 01:55 PM
J Ritt

Hi guys,
Our 2-piece replacements shave 2+ lbs. of unsprung weight per corner. The center aluminum hat is reuseable with all of our discs. As Gary mentions, the internal vane design is the same as our BBK's...the AeroRotor. It flows quite a bit more air than any other vane design. It's our proprietary metallurgy as well.
Here's the real beauty...replacement slotted iron to attach to the hats are $130 each, and the rears are $108 each. These prices include attachment hardware. The initial investment is a little higher, but they are a far superior part in every respect.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:22 PM
daveh

Originally Posted by J Ritt
Hi guys,
Our 2-piece replacements shave 2+ lbs. of unsprung weight per corner. The center aluminum hat is reuseable with all of our discs. As Gary mentions, the internal vane design is the same as our BBK's...the AeroRotor. It flows quite a bit more air than any other vane design. It's our proprietary metallurgy as well.
Here's the real beauty...replacement slotted iron to attach to the hats are $130 each, and the rears are $108 each. These prices include attachment hardware. The initial investment is a little higher, but they are a far superior part in every respect.
Do you have non-brembo rears as well?
Old 05-25-2005, 02:50 PM
J Ritt

We have non-brembo 1-piece front and rear...no 2 piece for base model brakes though.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:07 PM
knight_white99

J Ritt, are the rear 1-pc non-track Stop Tech rotors the same Aero design as in the BBK? I am currently running Stillen slotted rears with good results, but am always interested in hearing what works best.

If you had reasonably priced 2-pc rears, that would be the hot ticket.

BTW, I have seen ConceptZ Performance offering a smaller Stop Tech BBK for the rear of the Z using the ST-22 caliper and 328mm rotor for $2394. This is the ONLY placed that I have seen this kit offered for sale. I like the concept, since the unsprung weight is much lower than the 14" rotor kit, but I don't understand the price point. For a smaller, 2 piston caliper and smaller rotor, the price is $400 higher than the 13" BBK front kit! What's up with that? If you offered that at a reasonable price ($1200?), a check would be in the mail tomorrow.

Maybe you could offer a group buy on this kit?
Old 05-26-2005, 04:19 PM
J Ritt

Knight,
The one piece non-track rotors are NOT AeroRotors. They are straight vane.

Yes, the 2-piston kit is readily available, and many on this board are running it. Here's the description:

StopTech rear wheel Big Brake Upgrade for the 2004 Nissan 350Z. The kit includes ST-22 2-piston opposed billet rear calipers painted red, black, or silver, 7075-T6 billet aluminum caliper mounting brackets, 328x28mm slotted, floating, rear AeroRotors, 7075-T6 billet aluminum AeroHats with directional standoffs, StopTech SS (DOT compliant) rear brake lines, and Hawk HPS rear brake pads. Requires 17 inch or larger wheels, however not all 17 inch wheels will fit. Please check the wheel fitment chart for your car. Options: Drilled rotors - $100 per pair; Yellow or blue paint - $200 per pair of calipers and 30 day lead time. This kit fits under the stock wheels.

$2295.00 - Item No. 83-646-0023

Now, let me tell you what's up with the price. This rear caliper is significantly more expensive to produce than the front 4 piston, since it's from billet. It takes a ton of machine hours to make. That said, we are in the midst of trying some new manufacturing methods that could potentially bring the cost of this kit down. $1200 for this kit is an impossibility though, and I won't even speculate how far the price may or may not move...or if it even will. All I can say is that we're looking at it.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:34 PM
knight_white99

Thanks, J Ritt. The machined billet piece explains it. It just seemed so strange that this kit was priced even higher than your 14" rear BBK with the ST-40 caliper.

If you find a way to bring the price of this kit down, I am definitely interested. If you want a volunteer to test some prototype, I'm available!
Old 06-21-2005, 05:49 PM
bigdaddy

so i bought the Cobalt front rotors and used them on the car at VIR this past weekend. they seemed to be of quality construction, and allowed me to abuse them pretty hard with no ill effects (no surface crack, pad transfer, warping, etc.)

so far i am very happy with my $99 rotors!

sean
Old 06-21-2005, 07:48 PM
del105
15 f125

I think you should get another set of OEM rotors or OEM replacement. None of the others are going to last any longer. You're better off spending the money elsewhere.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:31 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by del105
I think you should get another set of OEM rotors or OEM replacement. None of the others are going to last any longer. You're better off spending the money elsewhere.
The problem is OEM Brembo's are more expensive than most aftermarket rotors...
Old 06-24-2005, 07:05 PM
KZTRACK

JRITT - What's the difference b/w the OEM Brembo rotors and your 1pc Rotor in terms of design, material, cooling, etc.

For someone who drives the car hard but does not track would you recommend going with your 2pc rotor or 1pc.

thanks
Old 06-24-2005, 07:46 PM
bigdaddy

Originally Posted by Kolia
The problem is OEM Brembo's are more expensive than most aftermarket rotors...
which is why the cobalt's i bought and abused (with positive results) are such a good deal at $99 each.

sean
Old 06-25-2005, 10:20 AM
daveh

summing up some rear rotor options for us non-brembo folks. Now that I know a good pad will last 8 to 10+ days in the rear, I'll think about replacing the rotors when the time comes and hold off on the rear bbk.

stoptech rears - $198/pr on perf nissan site

tirerack -cryo frozen (non-slotted) rears $110 each

stillen - slotted brake pros - $260/pr

cobolt - budget (non slotted) $58 each

Quick Reply: Recommend some track rotors