Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Giving up tracking the Z and going back to stock.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 05:43 PM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All right here is my new baby!! I just won it on Ebay!
Attached Thumbnails Giving up tracking the Z and going back to stock.-312.jpg  
Old 10-06-2005, 06:24 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zillinois
All right here is my new baby!! I just won it on Ebay!

Ho yeah ! Congrats !
Old 10-06-2005, 08:15 PM
pretpret

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHAT??? ONLY $30k for a RACE CAR??? I didnt know race cars can be that cheap
*looking at bank account *...Nope still cant afford it

Last edited by pretpret; 10-06-2005 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:20 PM
benzz280

WOW Geoff you got to give me a ride in that beast, but this time I will need the neck cushion thing so I wont get a neck pain
Old 10-07-2005, 03:07 AM
zillinois

Originally Posted by benzz280
WOW Geoff you got to give me a ride in that beast, but this time I will need the neck cushion thing so I wont get a neck pain
Opening bid for ride alongs is $50!! J/K! Hey, I've got to pay for this thing somehow Benz.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:33 AM
zillinois

This is like a bad dream. Ok, so you finally come up with the money for the life long dream of a race car and you have to go out to Virginia to pick it up. By some amazing stroke of luck airfare is only $64 dollars and there's even an open track day only 2 hours away at VIR the same weekend as pickup. Unfortunately its with the Carguys! Cruel irony.

Hey John, are you up for showing me VIR in the Diasio on the 15th of October??

Last edited by zillinois; 10-07-2005 at 03:35 AM.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:27 AM
John

This is like a bad dream. Ok, so you finally come up with the money for the life long dream of a race car and you have to go out to Virginia to pick it up. By some amazing stroke of luck airfare is only $64 dollars and there's even an open track day only 2 hours away at VIR the same weekend as pickup. Unfortunately its with the Carguys! Cruel irony.

Hey John, are you up for showing me VIR in the Diasio on the 15th of October??
Just sent you a PM... yes, I'll be there. There's another event at Summit with NASA, but 4hrs. at VIR > 2.5 at Summit.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:00 AM
StaticCling

Funny how things seem to work out, about a week after you buy the car, you are running at VIR. I guess it won't be as long of a wait as you had anticipated.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:50 PM
mofoz

Awesome looking car. It looks like you will be competeing against my cousin in SCCA CSR. He drives a Radical with a busa engine, and i went for a ride along and it was hands down the fastest i have ever gone. Have fun with your new toy. Maybe bring it to a meet some time
Old 10-09-2005, 05:57 PM
350zQ45a

Nice choice, brilliant if I may say so.

Good to see a track warrior making the ultimate decision and going dedicated.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:52 PM
zillinois

Originally Posted by 350zQ45a
Nice choice, brilliant if I may say so.

Good to see a track warrior making the ultimate decision and going dedicated.
Thank you very much. I have been worried about the purchase until today.

I told another Diasio owner who held my hand quite a bit over the last few weeks, that I would not be buying his. I thought he might be a little mad. But here is a quote from an email I got tonight.

"Congratulations Geoff! It sounds like you bought the Diasio that was for sale on Ebay. That was the deal of the century and an incredibly astute buy. I was amazed that noone went over your last bid. It probably won't surprise you to know that the former owner(not the seller) was a very good friend of mine and lived in CT. In Fact, it was principally because of him that I bought my first Diasio. I watched the evolution of his car and can tell you that you have bought beautifully developed car. I don't think that my buddy ever fully sorted it out but we are talking about fine tuning. You will love the car ! There is a great story about how he got the extra body which I may have told you. I'll check the old emails so I won't bore you with it again. Also, that trailer is absolutely full of stuff. You made the right decision.
I will always be happy to help in any way that I can so don't hesitate to email or call when you have a question. I am happy to see that the car went to someone who is so enthusiastic about Diasios. Have a great time at VIR.
Bob
P.S. you're right. I never got the email. I watched the bidding on that package right to the end.I was watching when it closed. "
Old 12-11-2005, 11:42 AM
zillinois

A few tear down pics. My plan is to get it down to the frame, have a few dings repaired, add on some supports for the "new" 3 piece body and have it repowdercoated, then start building it back up. I and few friends have been working on it a couple of weekends now. Im keeping my car at Black Flag Jack's place in a secret location in downstate Illinois. He's got some pretty cool cars. Lotus Europa and GTU (or O not sure) Mazda RX7.

Partial list of stuff to do;

New sheetmetal all the way around
Make brake reservoirs remote for easier access
Take motor in to have cams and heads done
Rewire almost the entire car including dash and gauges
Install push button shifter system
Install starter saver
Install digital dash and HUD
Find non-cantilever rims and tires
Lots of cleaning in the engine compartment
Make bracket and install seat
Rewire the radio system
Add a through-body filler tube to the 10 gallon fuel cell
Add a fuel switch so I can run the 5 & 10 gallon fuel cell at HPDE's

If no one minds this being a bit off topic, I'll keep posting updates here. On to the pics. Cutting up the body into three piece for easy removal. Thanks to Enthuz for the pics!
Attached Thumbnails Giving up tracking the Z and going back to stock.-12-11-05-7.jpg   Giving up tracking the Z and going back to stock.-12-11-05-2.jpg   Giving up tracking the Z and going back to stock.-12-11-05-5.jpg   Giving up tracking the Z and going back to stock.-12-11-05-8.jpg   Giving up tracking the Z and going back to stock.-12-11-05-6.jpg  

Last edited by zillinois; 12-11-2005 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:25 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Fun day at THE shop!

I think his Mazda ran GTU.....for under.

Don't forget to add:

New tubes for your Watt's linkage.
Improved front brake ducts. Been looking for a picture of what we talked about, & I can't seem to locate.
Lastly, don't forget to add some lightness!
Old 12-12-2005, 12:09 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think getting a car like the Diasio 962 is a smart move for the track. Not only will it out perform the Z and be way more fun to drive and lower costs, but the Z gets expensive as hell to make it really track worthy and the cost of wearable parts - tires especially

I've decided myself to go a similar route and decided my Z is too expensive to risk it or the engine on the track (going FI soon). I'll just do autox in it and someday buy a cheap track only car.

Last edited by sentry65; 12-12-2005 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:33 PM
mpowers

Thats the great thing about road racers.....good sportsmanship even when it comes to a car deal.

Thank you very much. I have been worried about the purchase until today.

I told another Diasio owner who held my hand quite a bit over the last few weeks, that I would not be buying his. I thought he might be a little mad. But here is a quote from an email I got tonight.

"Congratulations Geoff! It sounds like you bought the Diasio that was for sale on Ebay. That was the deal of the century and an incredibly astute buy. I was amazed that noone went over your last bid. It probably won't surprise you to know that the former owner(not the seller) was a very good friend of mine and lived in CT. In Fact, it was principally because of him that I bought my first Diasio. I watched the evolution of his car and can tell you that you have bought beautifully developed car. I don't think that my buddy ever fully sorted it out but we are talking about fine tuning. You will love the car ! There is a great story about how he got the extra body which I may have told you. I'll check the old emails so I won't bore you with it again. Also, that trailer is absolutely full of stuff. You made the right decision.
I will always be happy to help in any way that I can so don't hesitate to email or call when you have a question. I am happy to see that the car went to someone who is so enthusiastic about Diasios. Have a great time at VIR.
Bob
P.S. you're right. I never got the email. I watched the bidding on that package right to the end.I was watching when it closed. "
Old 12-14-2005, 02:12 AM
zillinois

Originally Posted by EnthuZ
Fun day at THE shop!

I think his Mazda ran GTU.....for under.

Don't forget to add:

New tubes for your Watt's linkage.
Improved front brake ducts. Been looking for a picture of what we talked about, & I can't seem to locate.
Lastly, don't forget to add some lightness!
Yup, I've got an email into Chris Diasio about the linkage. So far nothing has been very expensive. And its awesome having a direct line to the manufacturer of the car.

We'll definitely have to come up with something for the brake ducts. Maybe we can make something that can be adapted to the Z as well.