Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Giving up tracking the Z and going back to stock.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 11:49 AM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Giving up tracking the Z and going back to stock.

Well I'm taking the plunge guys. I've decided to go with a full purpose built race car. I will be keeping the Z, but it will be going back to stock to make it more enjoyable to drive on the street. Look for parts in the classified; datalogger, tilton, big brakes, harness bar, ecu etc. My last track event is this weekend and after that everything is coming off.

Don't cry for me though. (yah, as if) Because, I've decided to get a Diasio 962. Its a 1100 pound, BUSA powered, 180hp, two seater, closed cockpit, tube frame race car in the spirit of the old GTP cars. As soon as I get it, I'll post pics and impressions. I'm still keeping the Z and will always love it. It will just be my dedicated street ride now. God it will be nice not to have brake dust and rubber spray all over my baby. ;-)

Its been very fun being a part of the Z track community and I have had a lot of fun meeting and running with you guys. Don't worry, though, I'll still see you out on the track. You'll just be way behind me.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:39 PM
John

Bastard! But I understand Geoff... priorities are priorities for track junkies, and we all exceed the economically feasibly limits of tracking the Z at some point... now where is my threshold? Hmmm... and what to get... hmmm...
Old 09-30-2005, 02:54 PM
USMC-Z
Z Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, the D962 is a sweet tracking car. Did you get a good deal on it?
Old 09-30-2005, 06:54 PM
zillinois

Originally Posted by John
Bastard! But I understand Geoff... priorities are priorities for track junkies, and we all exceed the economically feasibly limits of tracking the Z at some point... now where is my threshold? Hmmm... and what to get... hmmm...
Thanks John. I'm pretty excited, not just about the car, but about the financial aspect of regular racing and tracking of the car. I'll post short blurb from an email, from a present D962 driver whom I've been conversing with about purchasing one. Here is his experience with wear items.

"Geoff, As far as operating costs, you can't get much lower than a stock sports racer with a stock motorcycle engine. In Particular, the Diasio gets an entire season on the brake pads and many seasons on the rotors. The chain lasts 500 hours and costs $90. The suspension is robust using balljoints and will last a very long time. We use mobil 1 15w50 synthetic oil and change it every 4-6 hours depending on usage. The biggest expense would be tires and you will never wear tem out. They just get less sticky as you heat and cool them. I have gotten 24 heat cycles and they still have decent grip"

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I read this. I've spent several thousands of dollars on just wear items like tires, brake pads, rotors, fluids etc. Not to mention all of the mods and broken items.

The Chicago Z crew and I will be having a teardown party in a week or two. I'll post all the goodies then.

Last edited by zillinois; 09-30-2005 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:57 PM
zillinois

Originally Posted by krnlikewh0a
Damn, the D962 is a sweet tracking car. Did you get a good deal on it?
Thanks! If I get the one i'm in negotiations for, I will be paying a fair price. Its difficult to get a great deal on a well maintained or competitive one. Most people are simply willing to pay for it. You can find fixer uppers on occasion for mid-to-low $20's.

Last edited by zillinois; 09-30-2005 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:02 PM
zillinois

Here's a quick shot of the latest one D962R. This one has the Mazda RX8 Renesis motor. 254hp in a 1200 lbs car!!?? It has to be an absolute rocket.

Last edited by zillinois; 09-30-2005 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:37 PM
Redfoot

If we get two can we get a deal?
Old 10-01-2005, 05:38 PM
zillinois

Originally Posted by Redfoot
If we get two can we get a deal?
I know where another one is!!
Old 10-03-2005, 10:12 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey thank's for posting a pic for those of us that were curious to see what your getting into.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:20 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That looks sick!@
Old 10-03-2005, 04:59 PM
Skrill

I made a similar decision and purchased a Sentra SE-R setup for the SE-R cup series w/ NASA. I am working it get it up to competitive level and will probably have about $9k into it when I am done. But it is very cheap to run and pretty reliable.

My Z remains track ready -- but I am not doing any significant further mods to it until I am done with the cup car. I can already turn a faster lap with the Cup Car because of it's weight.

That prototype looks pretty sick. Is that a downforce car? Does it get mad understeer if the air in front of you is disturbed? That looks pretty kick *** -- I may have to look into one of those eventually.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:40 AM
zillinois

Originally Posted by Skrill
I made a similar decision and purchased a Sentra SE-R setup for the SE-R cup series w/ NASA. I am working it get it up to competitive level and will probably have about $9k into it when I am done. But it is very cheap to run and pretty reliable.

My Z remains track ready -- but I am not doing any significant further mods to it until I am done with the cup car. I can already turn a faster lap with the Cup Car because of it's weight.

That prototype looks pretty sick. Is that a downforce car? Does it get mad understeer if the air in front of you is disturbed? That looks pretty kick *** -- I may have to look into one of those eventually.
As I get into it more and more the dedicated track **** just seems like the right way to go. The dedicated car gives you more satifaction at the track and the Z probably gives you more enjoyment on the street than if you compromised it.

I looked into the Sentra SE-R as well. That's a great way to go too. But, I just decided that it would take geometrically increasing amounts of money to keep a street car on the track, especially as I am getting faster. Stuff was starting to break. The Diasio does not have a lot of expensive parts on it. A whole new built motor is like $2500. The Z seemed to get more and more expensive all the time. My last repair was the hub/axle/stub repair. I paid extra for a rush job, but it was $1300 bucks. For a hub/bearing and stub?? Just too much.

Plus I feel more free to experiment with the Diasio. I've recently started making carbon fiber parts for the Z. I've made carbon fiber headlight covers and am working on rear air ducts too. I would love to make body panels for the Z from carbon, but I would likely destroy the stock Z fenders/quarters to do it. With the Diasio, I can experiment much more on carbon wings and body parts without risking the stock parts. It just meets my needs better. I will really miss the Z on the track. It is one of the most fun cars to drive.

The Diasio is not strictly a downforce car, but it can be setup a number of ways. In CSR class, I believe you can have almost any wing and some aero, you just can't have tunnels under the car. So it can be tuned for different tracks quite easily. Plus it doesn't have that crazy top end that most downforce cars rely on to work.

Last edited by zillinois; 10-04-2005 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:25 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Man, and I was just about to make the Z my dedicated track car. Now I am in a pickle... Thanks zillinois.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:07 AM
kyleturner

Oh man. I got an insane ride in a Radical at Laguna Seca last year-you could feel your helmet lift as the car was sucked down onto the track.

The driver said "you might as well just by a purpose built racecar. You're always going to want more speed, handling, etc. on your on your street car and it's going to cost more and more money."

Have fun with it and I hope I'll be following in your footsteps over the next few years (SFR?)

Kyle
Old 10-06-2005, 01:49 PM
AznIceRckt

Originally Posted by zillinois
Well I'm taking the plunge guys. I've decided to go with a full purpose built race car. I will be keeping the Z, but it will be going back to stock to make it more enjoyable to drive on the street. Look for parts in the classified; datalogger, tilton, big brakes, harness bar, ecu etc. My last track event is this weekend and after that everything is coming off.

Don't cry for me though. (yah, as if) Because, I've decided to get a Diasio 962. Its a 1100 pound, BUSA powered, 180hp, two seater, closed cockpit, tube frame race car in the spirit of the old GTP cars. As soon as I get it, I'll post pics and impressions. I'm still keeping the Z and will always love it. It will just be my dedicated street ride now. God it will be nice not to have brake dust and rubber spray all over my baby. ;-)

Its been very fun being a part of the Z track community and I have had a lot of fun meeting and running with you guys. Don't worry, though, I'll still see you out on the track. You'll just be way behind me.

My congradulations on getting a bad-a*& track toy.. out of curiousity, what made you choose this car over an open-wheel? Looks like insane fun.

In your opinion... is there even a point in turning a street car into a full-fledged race car? After years of modifying street cars... I'm starting to feel it is pointless unless the manufacturer is backing you (ha), or unless you have an extreme sentimental attachment to the car. There are just such better and more cost-efficient ways to build a track car (like what you did).
Old 10-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Scott Webb

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

There is definitely something to be said for purpose built racing cars. You can get into a pretty decent used Formula Continental/F2000 or Sports 2000 for about the same price as a Spec Miata, and you'd have a much faster car.

I've owned and driven a reasonable variety of race cars, and they all have their pros and cons. The last, a Spec Miata, was purchased for its simplicity and reliability, in addition to a pretty cool pro series that enabled me to race in support of Champ Cars and ALMS at tracks like Laguna Seca and Road America. Certainly slower than almost any purpose built car, but racing as part of big pro events was just so much fun.

Competitiveness is also a factor, as on any given weekend I was racing against 40-70 other Spec Miatas. This element also drove my purchase of a Spec Racer in the early 90's, too. To compete at the front of a F2000, S2000, DSR, CSR field you're going to spend a lot of money no matter what kind of car you are in.

Right now I'm considering a Lancer Evo VIII for endurance racing because I think I can scare up some sponsorship support for the effort. If it were purely on my own dime, however, I'd be combing classifieds for used Swift DB-2/5's and Lolas.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:05 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Originally Posted by zillinois

BFJ & I DO know how to block! And we WILL teach Bruce & Brian!!!

J/K

Awesome new toy! Watching you gain skill as rapidly as you have, I think it is a VERY smart move up.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:09 PM
zillinois

Originally Posted by AznIceRckt
My congradulations on getting a bad-a*& track toy.. out of curiousity, what made you choose this car over an open-wheel? Looks like insane fun.

In your opinion... is there even a point in turning a street car into a full-fledged race car? After years of modifying street cars... I'm starting to feel it is pointless unless the manufacturer is backing you (ha), or unless you have an extreme sentimental attachment to the car. There are just such better and more cost-efficient ways to build a track car (like what you did).
Thanks! As for the choice. I started getting into cars and racing in the early 80's. I had no money and no prospects so it was really just me dreaming about cars and exotics. But, I can still remember going to Road America and seeing the CARS. They seemed more tasteful and exclusive back then. Even the sponsor graphics on the cars were bold and made a statment. Have you looked at a NASCAR lately?? The cars that epitomized this still stick in my mind and the best ones were the GTP cars. It was THE Lowenbrau car, THE Skoal Bandit Car or THE Kenwood car. I just loved the way they looked and sounded. Back then those drivers were just so far away and so far above me and the enclosed cockpit just exaggerated that sense of exclusiveness. The driver is detached from the world, able to focus. Its not as visceral as the open cockpit car, but that enclosed exlcusive feeling is just more my style. Whether I'm worthy of that moniker or not is something I'm sure the Chicago crew would like to debate. ;-) But that's how I feel. Its probably a function of me growing up during that time period when that was how things seemed to be done. I know now it was all smoke and mirrors and people kept up appearances. But I guess old habits die hard.

Yes, I think there is a purpose to building a race car out of street car, but thats the hitch, there must be a point to it. I really like what Miller has done with the Volvo S60. I don't think he will be successful, but he is try to help a corporate sponsor change the image of the car. That is actually a useful abstract function. I think if you have a new technology to prove, that is a terrific reason to field a car.

We've lost the abstract, higher idea battles and traded them for boring ego fights. That's why SCCA is degrading into a derby. EVO's and STI's will rule, because they don't care about racing, they just care about proving they are right.(Present company exlcuded, of course) Even if they are right and their cars are god's gift to the automotive world, who cares? I don't want to rally around demagogues and cult of personality, I want to rally around ideas.

Last edited by zillinois; 10-06-2005 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:28 PM
zillinois

Originally Posted by Scott Webb
There is definitely something to be said for purpose built racing cars. You can get into a pretty decent used Formula Continental/F2000 or Sports 2000 for about the same price as a Spec Miata, and you'd have a much faster car.

I've owned and driven a reasonable variety of race cars, and they all have their pros and cons. The last, a Spec Miata, was purchased for its simplicity and reliability, in addition to a pretty cool pro series that enabled me to race in support of Champ Cars and ALMS at tracks like Laguna Seca and Road America. Certainly slower than almost any purpose built car, but racing as part of big pro events was just so much fun.

Competitiveness is also a factor, as on any given weekend I was racing against 40-70 other Spec Miatas. This element also drove my purchase of a Spec Racer in the early 90's, too. To compete at the front of a F2000, S2000, DSR, CSR field you're going to spend a lot of money no matter what kind of car you are in.

Right now I'm considering a Lancer Evo VIII for endurance racing because I think I can scare up some sponsorship support for the effort. If it were purely on my own dime, however, I'd be combing classifieds for used Swift DB-2/5's and Lolas.
I looked at the Spec Miata route as well. It looks solid, but I just couldn't get excited about it.

I love the DB-2's. But, I just want to start with something manageable for my budget and resources. There are two motorcycle shops in my town both of which are very capable engine builders. One specializes in BUSA powered bikes and the other runs GSXR shop out of his garage. So I have access to some really good resources which make the choice a little easier. Plus they can get me a good deal on parts. ;-)
Old 10-06-2005, 04:33 PM
zillinois

Originally Posted by EnthuZ
BFJ & I DO know how to block! And we WILL teach Bruce & Brian!!!

J/K

Awesome new toy! Watching you gain skill as rapidly as you have, I think it is a VERY smart move up.
Hey thanks Bruce. I'll just have to learn to be slippery like Jack!! I can't wait to drive it. This is going to be the longest Winter EVER!!!

Where should I start the bidding for the first ride along??

Quick Reply: Giving up tracking the Z and going back to stock.