Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

350Z as a track car

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Reyes_USN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

doesnt the VDC kick in even after you turn it off?
Old 07-01-2006, 03:48 PM
SuperKool

Originally Posted by Reyes_USN
I like to clear this up too. I've heard different stories about this.
Some say it comes back on after you turn it off. I've also heard that after it comes back on, you turn it off again, and then it stays off.

So what's the deal with that. I'm sure someone here knows for sure.
Old 07-01-2006, 04:00 PM
C Ray Z

Default Not to me.

I have been tracking regularly >25 Days and have never had this happen. I have had hte ABS light come on but did not notice any effects on braking.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:23 PM
MoodDude

I know certain cars even when you "turn off" the traction control (VDC in the Z's case) it is still there, just not as aggressive. I don't know about the Z, but I believe once you turn it off, it is fully off? I never have felt it come on once it is off on track, and that is with some nice off track experience thrown in there too.
I have heard that some people say that they forget to turn it off before they go out for a run, and can't turn it off when they are fully gassed, but once you let off the accelerator, you can turn it off.
And I don't believe that by turning off the VDC you turn off the ABS on the Z. Nor should you ever want to turn off the ABS, who likes flats spots on their track tires?
Old 07-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperKool
Well, as far as the S2000 goes...

I have one and will not be giving up the S for the Z. Rather I want the Z for some track use, and to use driving on the street as well. My S is a track prepared car, so use on the street is limited. I'd never say the 350 is a better track car the S2000. I've never came across a 350 that I couldn't destroy on any track. Of course my S isn't set up to any race requirements, so I can do anything I want to it.

In Time Attack racing, with no rules that require restricting performance, the S2000 is always faster then the 350Z so far. I'm sure a 350 will come along and beat an S2000 in a time attack. The S is an old platform, and the 350 keeps getting stronger in the racing world.
oh please, let's not compare fully modded cars with "other cars at the track that day"... The other Z might have been fully stock as far as we know...
Old 07-02-2006, 06:38 PM
Kolia

Originally Posted by Reyes_USN
That's a terrible can of worms you're openning...

Opinions diverge on the subject.

As far as I'm concerned, the VDC is completly OFF. People are mistaking ABS, EBD and ABLS systems activations for the VDC "not being OFF" thing.

I've driven with the VDC unit unplugged and didn't see any differences, appart from the rear diff not locking as well and the obvious absence of ABS.

Last edited by Kolia; 07-02-2006 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:55 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you unplug the sensor, then there's still one part of the VDC still operating (I believe it's the EBD, but as mentioned, it's an age old debate). I can assure you that after unplugging the sensor, I was able to get the rear end to rotate better under hard trail braking for certain turns - otherwise something in the VDC would make a buzz and the car would understeer (felt like the outside front wheel applying more brake torque).
Old 07-03-2006, 06:45 AM
Kolia

Originally Posted by John
Unless you unplug the sensor, then there's still one part of the VDC still operating (I believe it's the EBD, but as mentioned, it's an age old debate). I can assure you that after unplugging the sensor, I was able to get the rear end to rotate better under hard trail braking for certain turns - otherwise something in the VDC would make a buzz and the car would understeer (felt like the outside front wheel applying more brake torque).
That was the ABS kicking in. Not the VDC.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:02 AM
MoodDude

ABS good - VDC bad!
Old 07-03-2006, 11:29 AM
Kolia

Originally Posted by MoodDude
ABS good - VDC bad!
LOL.

Except when the ABS kills your astutely calculated weight transfer for the turn-in rotation like in John’s example…
Old 07-03-2006, 11:29 AM
John

Originally Posted by Kolia
That was the ABS kicking in. Not the VDC.
Trust me, I know what the ABS feels like, and that wasn't what it was. Plus once I disconnect the sensor, the problem never returned... and yes, my ABS is still fully functional (and welcomed - especially in the wet).
Old 07-03-2006, 11:38 AM
Kolia

Interresting. Again the yaw sensor toying with us...

But since the ABS and the VDC uses the same means (ie selectively pulsing the brakes) it would be hard to differenciate the culprit.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:53 PM
knight_white99

Well, as far as the S2000 goes...

I have one and will not be giving up the S for the Z. Rather I want the Z for some track use, and to use driving on the street as well. My S is a track prepared car, so use on the street is limited. I'd never say the 350 is a better track car the S2000. I've never came across a 350 that I couldn't destroy on any track. Of course my S isn't set up to any race requirements, so I can do anything I want to it.

In Time Attack racing, with no rules that require restricting performance, the S2000 is always faster then the 350Z so far. I'm sure a 350 will come along and beat an S2000 in a time attack. The S is an old platform, and the 350 keeps getting stronger in the racing world.
To get this thread back on topic...

You're right. The S2K is a great track car, and I was been beaten by one of them in the last time attack. But I have been upgrading my Z since then... Weight is the next thing to change... I think I would have a shot at beating that S2K now.

As for the question that you asked earlier, I think the Z is medium on tires and brakes. The Z is a much heavier car than your S2K, and that weight carries a wear penalty. I got about 14K miles on a set of Kumho Ecsta MX tires, between street driving and about a year and a half of auto-x. The fronts wore out before the rears since the car has a lot of understeer at slower speeds and I didn't have any camber adjustment at that time. On the track, I went through some shaved Toyo T1-S tires pretty quickly (maybe 4 or 5 track days). Of course, it depends how hard you push the car, and how much you like sliding the tires.

And my comment on brakes still applies. Stock (non-Brembo) rears wear pads out in no time. A "must do" upgrade if you don't get a track model.

As to VDC/ABS, I have not noticed any intervention from VDC when turned off. I haved spun the car several times with it turned off, so VDC certainly didn't intervene to save me! Turned on, you can't use full power out of a corner - it really hurts your lap times. You basically have to have it turned off for serious track driving - no choice.

Last edited by knight_white99; 07-03-2006 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:51 PM
SuperKool

Originally Posted by knight_white99
To get this thread back on topic...

You're right. The S2K is a great track car, and I was been beaten by one of them in the last time attack. But I have been upgrading my Z since then... Weight is the next thing to change... I think I would have a shot at beating that S2K now.

As for the question that you asked earlier, I think the Z is medium on tires and brakes. The Z is a much heavier car than your S2K, and that weight carries a wear penalty. I got about 14K miles on a set of Kumho Ecsta MX tires, between street driving and about a year and a half of auto-x. The fronts wore out before the rears since the car has a lot of understeer at slower speeds and I didn't have any camber adjustment at that time. On the track, I went through some shaved Toyo T1-S tires pretty quickly (maybe 4 or 5 track days). Of course, it depends how hard you push the car, and how much you like sliding the tires.

And my comment on brakes still applies. Stock (non-Brembo) rears wear pads out in no time. A "must do" upgrade if you don't get a track model.

As to VDC/ABS, I have not noticed any intervention from VDC when turned off. I haved spun the car several times with it turned off, so VDC certainly didn't intervene to save me! Turned on, you can't use full power out of a corner - it really hurts your lap times. You basically have to have it turned off for serious track driving - no choice.
That doesn't sound to bad for tire and pad wear. Even though the Z is a bit on the heavy side, it doesn't sound like it goes through tires and breaks any faster then any other car that you drive on the track.

I'm going to stay away form the models that have the VDC. I really don't need it. For my track use, I'll get one that has an LSD, no VDC, and I'll upgrade the breaks. That's about all I plan to do. I'll through some RA-1's on there and I'm sure that will be good enough for me. I can't wait....
Old 07-03-2006, 08:55 PM
SuperKool

Talking

Oh, and I'm sure you'll get that S2 at the next Time Attack.
You wern't to far behind. Also, the next time attack that will have tons of
S2Ks will be at buttonwillow in December, and that track should prove to be an advantage for you in the Z!
Old 07-03-2006, 09:35 PM
knight_white99

Oh, and I'm sure you'll get that S2 at the next Time Attack.
You wern't to far behind. Also, the next time attack that will have tons of
S2Ks will be at buttonwillow in December, and that track should prove to be an advantage for you in the Z!
Yeah, I am really looking forward to a re-match!

Too bad you don't have any more west coast events until December.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:32 AM
SuperKool

Originally Posted by knight_white99
Yeah, I am really looking forward to a re-match!

Too bad you don't have any more west coast events until December.
I know only two on the west cost was not to many for this year.
For 2007, we'll be running at least 4 on this side of the country.
Look for us at CaliSpeedway, Laguna, Sears Point and Buttonwillow for 2007!
Old 07-04-2006, 04:26 PM
Nano

Originally Posted by John
same thing I have been experiencing and saying for ages. With the yaw sensor connected I had a very hard time powersliding around a circle of cones (perpetual drift) car would "straighten" out and I had the hardest time feeding throttle... with the yaw sensor disconnected everything was so much smoother.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:49 AM
Axelerate

Originally Posted by Nano
same thing I have been experiencing and saying for ages. With the yaw sensor connected I had a very hard time powersliding around a circle of cones (perpetual drift) car would "straighten" out and I had the hardest time feeding throttle... with the yaw sensor disconnected everything was so much smoother.
Is this the sensor you disconnect under the center console?
Old 07-06-2006, 09:47 AM
Reyes_USN

Originally Posted by Eagle1
Other than high horsepower fast tracks like Willow Springs, the S2000 stock has in my experience been faster than the 350Z stock on road courses. Of course driver skill is very critical here as it is in all comparisons, but in general the Honda out of the box is a better track car, though on the street I would much prefer the stock Z. Having said that, modest modifications to the Z upgrade its capabilities dramatically. They are both terrific cars. The gearbox on the Honda is just so sweet and smooth. Different animals and both lots of fun.

The s2k has to be revved to damn near redline to get power, no ? (im talking about the models that redline almost to 9k)

Quick Reply: 350Z as a track car