Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

BSP Weight reduction?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 10:13 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
Most racers I know run either the Sparco/Cobra aluminum fixed brackets or the Toyota universal sliders as pictured here:

http://www.subesports.com/products/c...bra/prodID/676
How do those work? Do you have to drill holes in the floor to use univeral components?
Old 09-13-2006, 05:22 AM
jmckuhen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 12AutoX
The battery, exhaust, and seats add up to quite a bit. Losing weight in those areas doesn't affect the overall balance of the car much, either. A lot of the Z's weight comes from structural components that stiffen the car, too. When I compare it with my Neon (my main autocross car) the suspension components and overall structure is much more heavy duty in the Z. It's designed with plenty of room to grow in terms of grip and power. The weight is a disadvantage on the autocross, but the car shines on the track where huge tires and stiffness add up to a stable, predictable platform.

It just seems to me that trying to get the Z sub-3000lbs while still remaining BSP legal is gonna be kinda difficult or maybe even impossible.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:15 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't looked at the 350Z seat mounting so I can't say anything intelligent about how to do it to our cars - yet. For the other cars I've installed these on I usually makes some flat brackets out of 2024 aluminum that adapt the required width of the sliders as installed on the seat bottom (or side mounts) to the OEM seat mounts in the car.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:26 AM
jun14scr

i don't think getting the 350 under 3000 is all that difficult in bsp trim. think about it. the nationals cars weight in at ~3070. seats, test pipes, and a battery should be able to get you under the mark.. also, you don't have to run a 'real' seat in the passenger positions. i forgot what the exact terminology of the rule obok was.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:49 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
I haven't looked at the 350Z seat mounting so I can't say anything intelligent about how to do it to our cars - yet. For the other cars I've installed these on I usually makes some flat brackets out of 2024 aluminum that adapt the required width of the sliders as installed on the seat bottom (or side mounts) to the OEM seat mounts in the car.
Oh I see, so you retain the stock mounts and just buy new sliders/rails. Interesting.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:01 AM
streetracer

So the stock mounts are taken from the seat after removal and reinstalled with the new sliders?
Old 09-14-2006, 05:37 AM
drivesolo

Would having the non-Brembo brakes from the '03-'05 model years be an advantage over the '06 brakes or the Brembos? Since autoX is not as demanding on braking and most speeds are below 60 mph, would this be a benefit in weight reduction, unsprung mass and rotational inertial or does the stoping power of the bigger brakes make up for the gains from weight savings?
Old 09-14-2006, 05:47 AM
streetracer

Stock 03-05 brakes are iron and are extremely heavy, specially the fronts. Brembo brakes are aluminum. So, putting aside the inmense stopping ability of the brembos is higher, they weigh a LOT less. The difference in my car after the install was noticable.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:07 AM
drivesolo

Originally Posted by streetracer
Stock 03-05 brakes are iron and are extremely heavy, specially the fronts. Brembo brakes are aluminum. So, putting aside the inmense stopping ability of the brembos is higher, they weigh a LOT less. The difference in my car after the install was noticable.
I wasn't refering to to the caliper. I was wondering if there was weight/reduced mass benefits that could be had w/ the smaller rotors in autoX? For track racing of course the advantage goes to the Brembos, however since autoX is low speed and does not generate nearly as much heat as track racing. Is there an advantage to running the smaller set-up? Time back in grid should allow for enough cooling that the rotors should be ready for another run w/o the worry of brakefade. From what I recall, the 60-0 braking distances for the '03 models equiped w/ the base brakes and the Brembos were the same.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:09 AM
betamotorsports

So the stock mounts are taken from the seat after removal and reinstalled with the new sliders?
No. What I would do is take the stock seat, its sliders, and anything else attached to it that's not part of the chassis of the car and sell it all on eBay. Then you take a race seat, bolt the sliders to either the bottom of the race seat (if it has bottom mounts) or a set of aluminum side mounts then bolt the sliders directly to the seat mounting holes in the chassis (or make some adapters out of strong aluminum).

The idea is to remove as much of the factory "seats" as possible to save weight and get the race seats mounted as low as possible to improve the CG.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:14 AM
betamotorsports

I wasn't refering to to the caliper. I was wondering if there was weight/reduced mass benefits that could be had w/ the smaller rotors in autoX?
That's true but the update/backdate rule in SP will probably negate any weight savings. You would have to update/backdate the calipers and rotors as a unit. Weigh the Brembo calipers, rotors, brackets, and hats then compare with the weight of similar base model parts from the different years.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:40 AM
AznYellowZ

If you were to get carbon fiber hood, trunk, door, and fenders...about approx how much weight would you save??
Old 09-20-2006, 07:50 AM
betamotorsports

That's a good question, but its not relelvant for BSP because you have to run the OEM panels for all the items you list. Does anyone know the weights of the stock panels?
Old 09-20-2006, 11:10 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

A typical CF hood will save I think 6-8 lbs from the stock aluminum hood. I'm not exactly sure what the door panels weigh, and from what I've read the weight in the stock hatch is not in the hatch itself, but thet glass. Replacing it with lexan or some other lightweight material is what saves a majority of the weight.

However, I don't advise this on a street driven vehicle for obvious safety purposes.

Also remember, true dry Carbon will save a lot more weight than your normal run-of-the-mill CF pieces.