Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Prelim testing completed for race splitter/airdam system

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 10:41 AM
kognition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully not too bad. But it does need a rear wing.

Originally Posted by julian
i can already picture what would happen if people put the front splitter on without adding downforce in the rear....
Old 02-06-2007, 11:18 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice splitter-

are you keeping the APR rear GT wing ... (looks like ur going to CF hatch?)
Old 02-06-2007, 12:41 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chebosto
Nice splitter-

are you keeping the APR rear GT wing ... (looks like ur going to CF hatch?)
Two different cars. First one pictured with the wing is knightwhite99's car and the second one without the hatch is mind.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:26 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by 350ZNV
Two different cars. First one pictured with the wing is knightwhite99's car and the second one without the hatch is mind.

i thought u went full Cwest body kit??
Old 02-06-2007, 05:33 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

i thought u went full Cwest body kit??
I did, but it only lasted one track day. Needless to say, I was not impressed by the durability of the C-West kit. I went off track once and it was completely destroyed. I didn't even hit anything, just went off into the dirt. Too flimsy for the track if you ask me.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

I did, but it only lasted one track day. Needless to say, I was not impressed by the durability of the C-West kit. I went off track once and it was completely destroyed. I didn't even hit anything, just went off into the dirt. Too flimsy for the track if you ask me.

liek.. all of it was toast? what about the sides? do you still have em?

as for the splitter, how come you didnt extend the center portion more, past the oil pan? that would create an even smoother airflow

Last edited by Chebosto; 02-06-2007 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:04 AM
kognition

That doesn't do any good if that smooth air runs into the remaining area of the under chassis ie: a snaking exhaust pipe, this or that protrusion. It simply becomes distorted air again. Which is why undertrays are the best way to control that. This splitters underside just controls how much air is going under the nose of the car. Less air the better.

as for the splitter, how come you didnt extend the center portion more, past the oil pan? that would create an even smoother airflow
Old 02-07-2007, 06:25 AM
FritzMan

deleted
Old 02-07-2007, 07:00 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

The only thing that survived was the rear bumper...

Front bumper...

Note side skirt...

The sad part is that it got WAY worse than that by the end of the day.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:11 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This splitters underside just controls how much air is going under the nose of the car. Less air the better.
Actually, a splitter that's designed to work with a good undertray/front diffuser is angled up slightly (1.5 to 2.5 degrees from horizontal) to move more air under the car.

Look a the R10's front splitter/diffuser design:

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/audir10-1.html

A splitter by itself generates downforce, a splitter with a flat front undertray and a diffuser(s) generates a lot of downforce. For the 350Z it would need to be a sedan style undertray/diffuser with two separate small diffusers pointed toward the front wheel wells.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:12 AM
kognition

Isn't that 1.5 to 2.5 degrees to compensate for part flex under load? Because i always thought that if they wanted a specific amount of air to flow under the car, they would create an open channel in the center of the front of the car. I know it is different for super cars obviously, they sit much lower usually. If that is correct what you say, it must be the very maximum allowable angle before you start using the splitter as a device to act as a kind
of wing and it wants to start lifting up instead of staying neutral.

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
Actually, a splitter that's designed to work with a good undertray/front diffuser is angled up slightly (1.5 to 2.5 degrees from horizontal) to move more air under the car.

Look a the R10's front splitter/diffuser design:

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/audir10-1.html

A splitter by itself generates downforce, a splitter with a flat front undertray and a diffuser(s) generates a lot of downforce. For the 350Z it would need to be a sedan style undertray/diffuser with two separate small diffusers pointed toward the front wheel wells.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:37 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

you would only want to raise it up if you actually had channels / vanes to direct air in an upward move ment.. the Audi has it cuz it has a flat underbody, so by allowing more air underneath it, the rest (rear diffuser) has more air flow to work with.

for the Z. even tho there is exhaust pipes and rear suspension to deal with, by elongating the center piece, the air is smoothed out more thus creating a more even, and depending on angle, faster airflow for the amount of air that does go under the splitter.

350ZNV: were your side skirts bolted to the bottom? did they really tear out like that? DOH.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:37 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't that 1.5 to 2.5 degrees to compensate for part flex under load?
Not that I'm aware of. You should be able to stand on the end of splitter and not see it move at all (assuming it can generate hundreds of pounds of downforce). I am not an aerodynamics expert but I did crew on the Sportsfeed/Cunninghan GTS-R Viper team that came in 7th overall in the 2000 Rolex 24 Hours.

They were having high speed understeer problems on the Daytona banking so they set up a video camera and filmed the splitter angle of attack as the car ran on the back straight. They found that the splitter was horizontal at speed so they checked it and found the shop had set the splitter/undertray horizontal to the ground. Adjusting it to an up angle of 1.5 degrees solved the problem.

EDIT: I was told this upward angle of attack only works if there's a front undertray and a front diffuser. Without those extra aero components a splitter should be thought of as a front spoiler and positioned accordingly.

Last edited by betamotorsports; 02-07-2007 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:46 AM
kognition

That is very interesting to know.
So it sounds like the car is seeing much of it's downforce by diffusion instead of downforce on the leading edge. And that angle actually would not change the splitters diffusion effect.

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
Not that I'm aware of. You should be able to stand on the end of splitter and not see it move at all (assuming it can generate hundreds of pounds of downforce). I am not an aerodynamics expert but I did crew on the Sportsfeed/Cunninghan GTS-R Viper team that came in 7th overall in the 2000 Rolex 24 Hours.

They were having high speed understeer problems on the Daytona banking so they set up a video camera and filmed the splitter angle of attack as the car ran on the back straight. They found that the splitter was horizontal at speed so they checked it and found the shop had set the splitter/undertray horizontal to the ground. Adjusting it to an up angle of 1.5 degrees solved the problem.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:52 AM
Abishop

So Are these avaliable yet?
Old 02-07-2007, 09:54 AM
kognition

Yes they are.

Originally Posted by Abishop
So Are these avaliable yet?
Old 02-07-2007, 09:56 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

350ZNV: were your side skirts bolted to the bottom? did they really tear out like that? DOH.
Yeah, they were, but the bolts ripped big holes in the fiberglass when I went off. As soon as I got the pieces, I was instantly suprised at how thin and flimsy they were, but I figured C-West knew what they were doing and have a lot of track experience. Guess not.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:08 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Yeah, they were, but the bolts ripped big holes in the fiberglass when I went off. As soon as I got the pieces, I was instantly suprised at how thin and flimsy they were, but I figured C-West knew what they were doing and have a lot of track experience. Guess not.

thats pretty disappointing, i guess if u dig hard enough sideways **** will fall off regardless of brand.

you should see all the bumpers that fly off during drifting competitions.. doesnt matter what brand, they ALL come off and get ran over! haha.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:56 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

thats pretty disappointing, i guess if u dig hard enough sideways **** will fall off regardless of brand.

you should see all the bumpers that fly off during drifting competitions.. doesnt matter what brand, they ALL come off and get ran over! haha.
Well, I don't know if they changed their manufacturing process or something, but these were honestly WAY too thin for just being fiberglass. Before them I had some cheap eBay replia Nismo sides that held up to 50x more abuse. Unless you saw it in person you would probably think I was exagerating, but these were probably literally half the thickness as any other FG sides I have seen. The front bumper cracked during shipping even.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:37 AM
ALong

Originally Posted by kognition
No offense taken, i had a stressful day yeserday and i did not intent to sound
like i was offended.
You are right, we do not use load cells for testing.
The SAE splitter that was tested is in my possession, not just numbers picked from the web. And the customer who paid for the testing is also my customer
RobiSpec (Robert Fuller). We produce splitters for their Evo's. Very close in surface area to our Z splitters.
We mount the test part securely, and we apply an even downforce on the exposed edge until the part fails. And as an fyi, it extends behind the front bumper 16 inches back. It is also funtioning as a diffuser. I wish i had a wind tunnel.
Swift Engineering isnt too far from you, sounds like you need to book some windtunnel time.

Also, that rubber edge protector on the spliter will affect the aerodynamics of the splitter (my guess is it will cause more turbulance)

Quick Reply: Prelim testing completed for race splitter/airdam system