Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Road Atlanta Repaved

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 06:44 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stack
I just recently aquired some in-car footage from an old Car-Guys event with the original layout without the reconfigured turn 10. Will try to get it on youtube sometime soon. Looks like it would have been an absolute BLAST in a fast car (the video is from a very capable, but ultimately relatively slow GTi)

I am DYING to get out there in a couple weeks with NASA ... can't wait!
Forget Youtube. Cheap quality videos. I have tons of space and bandwidth I don't use...

Let me know and I'll set you up with an FTP account. I want to see ! :-)
Old 03-05-2007, 03:42 AM
Stack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kolia... I'll let you know when I get it transfered to DVD

In the meantime, check these pics of the repaving from the GA RX-8 Club
Old 03-05-2007, 03:46 AM
Stack

Looking at the first pic from that link... I'm not so sure that new pit-in configuration is such a good idea? Is this a concern to anyone else? Then look at pic 8 and the thought of someone losing traction down the hill sliding into the pit-in lane worries me a bit... but then again, I've never driven it, maybe its a non-issue corner?

[edit] I guess its no worse than it was before with people cresting the hill and other cars slowing for the pit-in

Last edited by Stack; 03-05-2007 at 04:45 AM.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:27 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

only 12 more days
Old 03-05-2007, 05:39 AM
PBLRacing

Stacy,

That isn't a new config for the pit in. We have been using the pit entrance at the top of the hill for pit-in for as long as I've been racing at Rd Atl. The only car that goes through at the bottom of the hill is the pace car right before the green flag.

The fun part is that pit lane speed doesn't start until you make the right hand turn (right past the end of new pavement in picture 8), so in a race situation you try to carry as much speed as possible down the entrance road.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:24 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty much looks the same to me with the exception of the motorcycle chicane added before T12...
Old 03-05-2007, 06:27 AM
Stack

Originally Posted by John
Pretty much looks the same to me with the exception of the motorcycle chicane added before T12...
Hey John... still on east coast time huh?

Yeah, that chicane I think was the only change... although supposedly some walls were moved back in the esses

...PBL... I was obviously going on old info... the video I mentioned above has the pit-in at the bottom of the hill as best as I can tell. My bad
Old 03-05-2007, 07:24 AM
PBLRacing

By motorcycle chicane do you mean the drifting circle they put in a couple of years ago for the drift events?

Seriously, that is what it is for.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:30 AM
Stack

Originally Posted by PBLRacing
By motorcycle chicane do you mean the drifting circle they put in a couple of years ago for the drift events?

Seriously, that is what it is for.
I think John was talking about this:

But after watching that damn Forza Motorsports Showdown show, I'd venture to say its a Drift turn-around. Looks way too sharp of an angle to be anything else IMO.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:44 AM
PBLRacing

Yep. That was put in for the "Drift Atlanta" events, not the motorcycle races.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:37 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey John... still on east coast time huh?
Yep - probably will be operating like this for awhile, which will afford me more hours of afternoon sunshine to enjoy...

Yep. That was put in for the "Drift Atlanta" events, not the motorcycle races.
Oh dear... (although I was thinking that it was a wierd place for a bike chicane)
Old 03-05-2007, 10:49 AM
Fluid1

Talked to a Panoz instructor today and although he hasn't been on the track yet, his fellow instructors are saying that the track is very slippery. There goes my chance to break the Spec Miata track record. (1:44.2)

Looking forward to getting on the track and hopefully meeting you guys. Lucky me though, I'm getting two days are Roebling next weekend and then Road Atlanta the next weekend. Doesn't get much better than back to back track weekends!!

Mike - What group are you running in? I'd like to get a ride with you if possible. You car will be smoking by T10.
Of course it's slippery!! New pavement means new oils coming out of the pavement for a while. It will get stickier and faster.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:05 PM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Well, we made it.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:27 PM
Kolia

Originally Posted by mhoward1
Well, we made it.
Need pictures and videos !
Old 03-19-2007, 06:07 AM
Stack

Nice write up Marty! LOL

I'm still catching up from being offline for three full days (detox anyone!?) but basically we all had a good time, and as far as I know, we all came back in one piece (with the exception of need to replace two tires on the two tow vehicles myself and Bain Williams were driving.

Loved the track... I can't compare it to the old surface, but it was very confidence inspiring, even with the new bumps and undulations in certain spots.

I was disappointed in the facilities, but then again, I've been spoiled by VIR. Even still, Roebling and CMP have better camping facilities/power access. If RA upgraded its facilities, I think it would hands-down be the premiere place to go here in the southeast. The track is not too long, not too short... elevation changes are a little more dramatic than VIR, but you still get similar speeds on a shorter track (more laps!). The only detriment would be the fact that there are a LOT more immovable objects out there (as was painfully obvious to one of the Viper guys early in the weekend).

We didn't really take any pictures... JMark couldn't make it unfortunately, but we will have some excellent video and data acquisition soon.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:42 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Nice write up Marty! LOL.
Hey, it was Friday night!!
Old 03-20-2007, 02:59 AM
Stack

Moody...

What happened to your car on Sunday? Hope nothing serious!

I hated I didn't get a chance to mingle much throughout the weekend... things were just a little too hectic for my tastes.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:22 AM
Kolia

Moody...

What happened to your car on Sunday? Hope nothing serious!

I hated I didn't get a chance to mingle much throughout the weekend... things were just a little too hectic for my tastes.
A learning experience I think...
Old 03-20-2007, 06:52 AM
mpowers

What happened to Mike (moody)?

Stacy your right about being a little hectic. Sorry we did not have more of a chance to bs with you and Marty.

Yes a parking sucked ****. We cheated, I sent Shiela to the front of the line with the dirt bike so when the gates opened she could reserve us a spot, she almost got in a fight!

Going to work on up loading the on car start video from the Thunder race on Sunday when all hell broke loose.

Mike
Old 03-20-2007, 07:13 AM
Stack

Originally Posted by mpowers
What happened to Mike (moody)?

Stacy your right about being a little hectic. Sorry we did not have more of a chance to bs with you and Marty.

Yes a parking sucked ****. We cheated, I sent Shiela to the front of the line with the dirt bike so when the gates opened she could reserve us a spot, she almost got in a fight!

Going to work on up loading the on car start video from the Thunder race on Sunday when all hell broke loose.

Mike
I saw Mike's car being towed in ... sheet metal all looked good

I'd love to see that video... we left early, and I just did catch the start of the Lightning race which went off fine from were I was looking (out the truck window while driving up the hill lol).

I was told we wouldn't have access until later in the day... but I had no idea the thing would be full 30 minutes after the advertised gate open time (5:00). We were shooting for a 3:00 arrival, but got delayed. We'll know better next time.

Quick Reply: Road Atlanta Repaved