Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

stubborn rear rotor.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 04:22 PM
jun14scr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stubborn rear rotor.

broke more wheel studs... rear rotor won't budge. any suggestsions? i used wd40 heavily. just pound more?
Old 01-08-2007, 07:23 PM
Sisith

Take off your parking brake...helps alot
Old 01-08-2007, 07:35 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Patience if it is rusted on----Spray and warm a little with a butane---Repeat--Repeat.Find a spot that u can tap with a hammer on the inboard side ---Just stick with it.

If ur E-Brake is seized or whatever----u may have to waste it and replace the components of the EB
Old 01-08-2007, 08:07 PM
jun14scr

ebrake is off. i will try warming it a bit. the problem with tapping it from the inside is that the dust shield covers up the majority of the rotor. i will keep at it.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:19 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

You need to loosen the parking brake shoes. There is a little rubber plug on your rotor. Align this plug so it is at 11 or 12 o'clock. Then remove the plug. Now, with a flathead screwdriver, you need to turn the adjuster to loosen the parking brake shoes. If you do this, the rotor will come off freely just as the fronts. I see too many threads of people pounding away, when that is totally unnecessary and probably damages your parking brake system and rotors. The FSM is your friend:

Once you have replaced your rotor or completed whatever work you are doing, you need to re-adjust the parking brake. From the FSM:

Cheers
Old 01-08-2007, 09:22 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

I thought I would add that it takes quite a few turns to loosen the rotor, so just keep at it!! Also, a flashlight helps in locating the adjuster if you have never adjusted it before...no pounding necessary!!
Old 01-09-2007, 04:44 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jun14scr
ebrake is off. i will try warming it a bit. the problem with tapping it from the inside is that the dust shield covers up the majority of the rotor. i will keep at it.
Yes it does as it does with most vehicles but there is the area where the caliper goes that is open ---Tap --turn --Tap --Turn etc. Course if it gives just to a point then stops, then thats a E-Brake situation.

On frozen rotors though . I have at times spent a half day fucin with them.

When u get it off---Clean hell out of it and put antisieze compund on the trouble spots
Old 03-03-2010, 05:52 PM
blitz2k1

Originally Posted by guitman32
You need to loosen the parking brake shoes. There is a little rubber plug on your rotor. Align this plug so it is at 11 or 12 o'clock. Then remove the plug. Now, with a flathead screwdriver, you need to turn the adjuster to loosen the parking brake shoes. If you do this, the rotor will come off freely just as the fronts. I see too many threads of people pounding away, when that is totally unnecessary and probably damages your parking brake system and rotors. The FSM is your friend:

Once you have replaced your rotor or completed whatever work you are doing, you need to re-adjust the parking brake. From the FSM:

Cheers

My Best Friend is a Nissan Tech and has been for the past 7 Years.
His advice was to just Hammer the "hat" portion of the Rotor. So I Hammered away at the Rotor for a couple minutes and VOILA it loosened right up.

I asked him about the Process Listed above. He said not to touch the adjusters. It is next to impossible to get two Screw drivers into that hole.
Because you have to hold down the stopper while adjusting the "star" adjuster.

Summary...You can try both ways. The hammer worked the best for me.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:36 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Another vote for hammer the hat, i've had a few peoples car give me problems, but i always win. 5 pound sledge , or better yet 5 pound dead blow.