Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Invitation - HPDE Event at MSR Cresson Texas.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 06:24 AM
MSR350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Invitation - HPDE Event at MSR Cresson Texas.

Since this is my first post, I would like to say Hi and introduce myself:

My name is Dave. I just purchased a 2007 350Z as a track car. I have been tracking for the last 6 years. I instruct mainly for NASA and the BMW club. From the looks of the posts in this forum I found a group of 350Z owners who like to do what I like.

So onto the main topic of my post:

The HPDE at MSR is being run by the Lone Star Chapter of the BMWCCA. I will be there with my 350Z and will be one of the instructors. It is open to all makes of cars. Last time I was out a friend was running her 350Z and I had a student with a Corvette Z06. Five friends who run CMC in NASA TX started running BMW HPDE's, bottomline... the Lone Star BMW folks are very non BMW friendly. Most of the active members in the club are racers, thus the focus of the club.

The event will be held the weekend of 2007 April 28th and 29th. They will be running the long 3.1 mile track at Motors port Ranch.

So if you've never done a DE and live in the Dallas Fort Worth area, here's your chance to get your first taste of track driving. If you've done one before, you know how much fun it is, so come join us. And if you've done A LOT of DEs, we will be having an instructor training School for those interested in that!

And if none of those options appeal to you, mark your calendars to come on out and watch. Watching is free! We'll be having club races both days, with both BMW and Porsche Club racers duking it out!

Registration is available online, check out the chapter website for more details, and links to the required forms and registration page.

http://www.lscbmwcca.org/motorsports.html

Last edited by MSR350Z; 03-25-2007 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:49 AM
techcontrol

Dave,

Welcome to the boards and congratulations on your purchase. As for MSR, I attended the Apex Driving Academy 17 Mar. We drove the 1.3 mile section. I was going to head out there again 12 May. But since this is the full course it might be worth the trip a little sooner. I tried the link you provided, but the page is not working. Please provide details as to the clubs' tech inspection requirements. Again, welcome and congratulations.

Rick
http://www.350zracing.net
Old 03-25-2007, 08:25 AM
MSR350Z

Rick try the link again.

Apex is run by some good people.

Who like to see you out there as the 3.1 course is a blast.

I have not had to do a inspection in years (instructors are suppose to do our own... like we know what we are doing ) So please take a look at the clubs' tech inspection requirements on the website. I remember once having Pep Boys do one.

Last edited by MSR350Z; 03-25-2007 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:51 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi Dave,

I was lucky enough to run at MSR last summer when ZCON had their track event there. It's an impressive and well run facility. I would recommend it highly to anybody interested in tracking their Z.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:41 PM
mthreat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info Dave! I'd love to hear your impression of the 2007 Z on the track... especially compared to previous years.

I'll be at MSR this weekend with Driver's Edge, and I've been thinking about doing BMWCCA events too (more track time!). Maybe I'll give this one a try...
Old 03-25-2007, 07:47 PM
BlackoutZ

Im going to try to get the weeked off tomm. I would LOVE to go. I went there for Zcon and it was a BLAST!!! Lets get this thread going and some people that drove there at Z-con, chime in!!
Old 03-26-2007, 04:34 AM
z-u-later

I'm also a graduate of the Apex Driving Academy, having attended an HPDE with them last year at MSR Cresson. Apex Driving Academy is a well-ran organization with great instructors. MSR Cresson is a great facility with an awesome road course (I believe the track has several configurations). I enjoyed & learned so much from attending this event. I just wished they were closer to SA!!! Man, I wish I can drive the 3.1 mile track!!! That will be an awesome experience. If you live in North Texas, there is no excuse for you not to attend the events being held at MSR Cresson . . . you'll never regret it.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:43 PM
MSR350Z

Cool people are getting interested!

For those who want to see what is happening, but are not ready to go on the track you can see first hand from the passengers seat what it is like.

Since I will be instructing I can take out passengers out for a ride..

I do have to say my students who have sign up for the event do get first dibbs.

Have an extra Helmet.

Because of our insurance there is an age minimum of 18.

See ya at the track!
Old 03-26-2007, 08:32 PM
BlackoutZ

It sounds like I will probably be able to to go!!!
Z-U-Later- Where do you live in SA?? I live by Fiesta Texas. WE should meet up sometime or go to the Z meeting next month!! Shoot me a Pm
Blaine Waddell
Old 03-27-2007, 03:13 AM
MSR350Z

I am in the Fort Worth area, about 15 mintues from MSR.

Since MSR is so close and I am a member I spend a lot of time there.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:11 AM
techcontrol

Originally Posted by MSR350Z
I am in the Fort Worth area, about 15 mintues from MSR.

Since MSR is so close and I am a member I spend a lot of time there.
I don't mean to pry, but did you actually buy a "membership" at MSR?

As it stands I should be able to go. The only thing really in the way is dealing with the realitor and selling our home. Now that I've said that, I really need to go to this event. It will probably be my last time at MSR. We'll be moving to Biloxi, MS in June . The Air Force just doesn't understand my need for a 2 car garage and road courses. Now it will be a 5.5hr drive (one way) and a gazillion dollars to run Barber MSP in AL.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:37 AM
z-u-later

Hey MSR350Z,

You don't happen to drive a yellow 350Z, do you? When I was there for the HDPE with the Apex Driving Academy back in September, there was a female instructor with a yellow 350Z. I was a student on that course with the Silverstone 350Z. I'll have to say you're an awesome driver.

Last edited by z-u-later; 03-27-2007 at 05:28 AM.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:46 AM
techcontrol

You're talking about Renee I believe. These pictures are from last years Raging Bull Texas Stampede.
Attached Thumbnails Invitation - HPDE Event at MSR Cresson Texas.-rbts1.jpg   Invitation - HPDE Event at MSR Cresson Texas.-1a3a.jpg  
Old 03-27-2007, 05:29 AM
z-u-later

Yes, that's her . . .
Old 03-27-2007, 05:33 AM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by BlackoutZ
It sounds like I will probably be able to to go!!!
Z-U-Later- Where do you live in SA?? I live by Fiesta Texas. WE should meet up sometime or go to the Z meeting next month!! Shoot me a Pm
Blaine Waddell
I live in Cibolo, off IH-35 near New Braunfels. I don't usually attend the local meets due to my weekends being too hectic. I do try to attend the local auto-x events whenever possible. I'm trying to see if I can make one of the events at MSR Cresson sometime this summer. Once you get a taste of one of these HPDEs, it's addicting like auto-x. Especially with the Apex Driving Academy graduates -- you get to drive on your own without an instructor!!!
Old 03-27-2007, 06:44 PM
MSR350Z

Originally Posted by techcontrol
I don't mean to pry, but did you actually buy a "membership" at MSR?
Best money I have spent in a long time. It really was not that much. But with the new track the price has gone up.

To be fast takes lots and lots of track time and when you think you have enought you have just scratched the surface.

Originally Posted by z-u-later
Hey MSR350Z,

You don't happen to drive a yellow 350Z, do you? When I was there for the HDPE with the Apex Driving Academy back in September, there was a female instructor with a yellow 350Z. I was a student on that course with the Silverstone 350Z. I'll have to say you're an awesome driver.
Awesome driver thanks, but not me.

Renee, I know her. I think she maybe at the BMW event. I know she will be surprized to see me in a Z!

Last edited by MSR350Z; 03-27-2007 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:01 PM
z-u-later

MSR350Z -- Stupid me, I should have read back to your original post on this thread and realize you're Dave, not Renee. Duh!? So, what made you decide to get a Z? Just curious, since you're an instructor and must know a lot about fast cars.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:12 PM
mthreat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by techcontrol
You're talking about Renee I believe. These pictures are from last years Raging Bull Texas Stampede.
Ya Renee was my instructor at the last driver's edge at TWS. She's pretty fast, and if you're gonna pass her, you're gonna have to earn it cause she ain't lettin' off!
Old 03-28-2007, 03:51 PM
MSR350Z

MSR350Z -- Stupid me, I should have read back to your original post on this thread and realize you're Dave, not Renee. Duh!? So, what made you decide to get a Z? Just curious, since you're an instructor and must know a lot about fast cars.
Actually not really… but I do know how to get cars around the racetrack fast.

The 350Z represents a 3 times increase in Horsepower from what I was use to driving, a 1.6 liter Miata.

On the track, from the passengers seat, I have been witness to folks with gobs of horsepower and suspension work getting passed by a rental automatic Toyota Solaria driven by a great driver. This driver makes his living testing tires for a very large manufacture.

A few years ago with four of us in a rental PT cruiser driven by the same driver on a different road course we passed a highly modified Z06.

So my viewpoint is it is the nut behind the steering wheel that makes the car go fast. Which is a viewpoint I will repeat often.

Last edited by MSR350Z; 03-29-2007 at 03:26 AM.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:24 AM
MSR350Z

Sorry did not answer the 350Z part.

The driver I was talking about is a good friend and the chief instructor NASA Texas that convinced me to get the Z. He was my mentor instructor when I got my NASA instructors license and since he drives for a living... I listen.

It is a fast car in stock form that can take a lot of pounding on the track. The only thing I plan to do to the car is seats, harnesses, track pads, alignment, and set of track wheels. I will see where I go from there.

Quick Reply: Invitation - HPDE Event at MSR Cresson Texas.