Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Post your track day oil temps.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 09:21 AM
dnguyent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a good topic. When I did my research, I found information that is a bit contrary to what I've read here on this thread.

I spoke to a BAT technical advisor (http://www.batinc.net) about the proper orientation of the inlet and outlet in an oil cooler, and he told me it makes no difference. The reason why I contacted him was that I had installed my system with both inlet and outlet pointed down and at the same elevation, and I was concerned when I had read posts that recommended a vertical orientation of the oil cooler. Since I'm not taking temps, I have no personal opinion on this matter...just relaying my discussion with the folks at BAT, inc.

As for mounting location, I've also discovered while reading Mocal's installation recommendations that if you can't find a location to mount your cooler that is not 'blocking' your radiator, then mount it directly in front of the radiator, with as little gap as possible (preferrably none). Apparently, the gap between the oil cooler and radiator promotes turbulent flow whereas having the two heat exchangers practically touching each other promotes more laminar air flow. Unfortunately, I left ~3" of gap because I didn't run into this information until after I installed the sucker.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:25 AM
dnguyent

Originally Posted by MoodDude
You would be suprised how much air gets trapped in the system if you don't follow the simple rule of ensuring the discharge is at the top of the HX.

Don't put the oil cooler in front of the Coolant HX! You will reduce your flow through each HX, and hot air will be going into the coolant HX.
Find a different location and not behind the Coolant HX either. You can simply duct some cold air from the front of the car to the oil HX.

Since I installed my oil cooler correctly I see 90C most of the time and 95C max and this is with 440rwhp and TT set up.
I used to hear a whining noise that eminated from the oil cooler. It gets higher pitched and slightly louder when I rev the engine. I suspected it was caused by air in the cooling unit. The noise went away after ~4000 miles, and has never returned despite numerous oil changes.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:31 PM
racin

I made a tube frame front section that replaced the plastic radiator support and front bumper. To this I mounted everything. It mounted to the front of the frame rails where the stock bumper brackets had been, using the eight bumper bracket bolts. I had the power steering cooler, radiator, intercooler, both oil coolers, and the front C-West N1 bumper cover (modified) mounted to it, along with the front hood release mechanism (car was still street driven at that time) and hood pins. I then was very careful in how I managed air flow through the nose, using ducting to get it to all of the assorted coolers, as well as to my front brakes. I also employed a fairly long splitter, along with hood venting. A side effect of those, of course, was more front downforce... This was to sustain power levels near 500 horses.

Originally Posted by MoodDude
APSTT w/ 36mm Koyo and Setrab oil cooler.
I really don't have any problem with my oil temps. The hottest I have ever seen was 109C, most of the time it is pretty steady around 95C after I install the oil cooler correctly. My problem lies in the water temps, especially at Sebring.

Nick - what did you do to solve your water temp problems?
Old 04-04-2007, 06:58 PM
MoodDude

To get the most out of any HX you must ensure all air is out of the fluid side. Air acts as a great insulator and takes away the total effective area of your HX. So to get the most out of a certain size HX, you must ensure a few simple design parameters are met.
Most race teams learn by word of mouth or trial and error or by copying someone else. That is why certain race teams win all the time since they actually engineer the items and don't just trust word of mouth or trail and error. I am sure that your tech advisor would tell you to put a larger cooler on there, but looking at the installation could yeild better results with far less money.
But, please don't take my word for it, read up on the subject. Carroll Smith has a whole chapter devoted to the do's and don'ts of HX in "Prepare to Win". And as a Mechanical Engineer myself, his stuff is right on.

Originally Posted by dnguyent
This is a good topic. When I did my research, I found information that is a bit contrary to what I've read here on this thread.

I spoke to a BAT technical advisor (http://www.batinc.net) about the proper orientation of the inlet and outlet in an oil cooler, and he told me it makes no difference. The reason why I contacted him was that I had installed my system with both inlet and outlet pointed down and at the same elevation, and I was concerned when I had read posts that recommended a vertical orientation of the oil cooler. Since I'm not taking temps, I have no personal opinion on this matter...just relaying my discussion with the folks at BAT, inc.

As for mounting location, I've also discovered while reading Mocal's installation recommendations that if you can't find a location to mount your cooler that is not 'blocking' your radiator, then mount it directly in front of the radiator, with as little gap as possible (preferrably none). Apparently, the gap between the oil cooler and radiator promotes turbulent flow whereas having the two heat exchangers practically touching each other promotes more laminar air flow. Unfortunately, I left ~3" of gap because I didn't run into this information until after I installed the sucker.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:45 PM
baptist

I have a custom oil cooler on mine, and the highest I can get mine is 248 degF.

Thats with a built APS TT/Koyo/oil cooler, after about 40 mins of hard track abuse. Ambient was about 70degF

Running silkolene 5w40
Old 09-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Tekwon-V

with my turbonetics single turbo (oil/water cooled), i hit up to 275 on a track day (no oil cooler). i am sure it will get hotter but i always pull in to cool down. i actually think i hit very close to 300 at one point when i wasnt paying attention.

both track days i've attended (w/ turbo) were 95*F+ days. 1st one with turbonetics ts-1 synthetic 5w30 and 2nd with mobil 1 5w30.

i have a custom oil cooler that i made and will be installing it within few weeks. i personally think my oil is getting too hot.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:04 PM
thinking

So, I guess an oil pan spacer would be a waste of time/money?
Old 09-14-2007, 05:59 AM
arizzee

A spacer is still a good idea as it provides another quart of oil to take the stress of tracking, i.e. 6qts will take longer to breakdown vs. 5 qts. I would recommend a spacer and oil cooler if road course tracking is in your future.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:49 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

On hot track days at Pueblo (95 degrees, 5000 ft altitude), on my G35 JWT TT, with a Stillen oil cooler, and an APS oil pan (finned, extra quart), along with an AMS radiator, I see temps at 250-260 F after about 10 laps or so (2.2 mile course). I use Amsoil 10w-30 oil, and I change my oil after every track weekend (probably overkill). I recently installed a 5" SPAL push fan to the front of my oil cooler, in an attempt to cut down on the oil temps. Also thinking about getting some hood vents for the rear of the hood to cut down on underhood temps.

We'll see how it goes; I have the stock front bumper, and if you have seen the front of a G, there is significantly more obstruction, thus less airflow to the various heat exchangers.

Dave
Old 10-14-2007, 07:14 AM
mario23

I hit 280's at Daytona road course (Zcon) on my Greddyt TT with no oil cooler or radiator. Those are my next purchases as well as the thermostat definitely! I'd like to see more about ideal oil cooler install locations. I have a stock bumper and I'm thinking about whether or not I should cut it up.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:46 AM
laze1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody I know?

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Well, the main reason I stared this thread, is because have an NA track-only customer that is seeing 280F temps, regardless of ambient conditions. Same temps at 40F vs. 85F. His coolant temps are rock solid at 210F or about 99-100C.

He is currently running the Setrab oil cooler, Motul 15w150 300v engine oil, and a spacer. He drives his car harder and faster than anyone I have seen. This guy is an animal on the track, so I think its higher temps might be indicative of how car he pushes the car.

We'll see.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:21 AM
*Boose*

Always remember kids. Check the dates before you post.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:29 AM
laze1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just spoke with Sharif about this yesterday...just poking him with this post

Originally Posted by *Boose*
Always remember kids. Check the dates before you post.