Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

How to eliminate understeer in AutoX?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 11:20 PM
chishifu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gunslinger
Simply:

Inertia acts through the center of gravity of the car which is above the ground. Inertia affect the weight transfer. Adhesion acts through the tires which are on the ground.

There are lift forces exerted by the ground on the tires. The size of these forces determine the ability of the tire to adhere. An imbalance between the front and rear forces coupled with the inertia of the car can cause understeer of oversteer.

Now, if you increase the rear spring rate or decrease the front spring rate you transfer more weight to the front which helps tire adhesion. Therefore it follows that lowering the front tire pressure or raising the rear will reduce oversteer.

Conversely, if you are in an oversteer condition you can lift and cause the tire to adhere again. I'll let you think about that one. Also think about why a lower car handles better.

I'm not sure your confusion? I followed one of your links (https://www.rsracing.com/tech-tire.htm) and in the table under "to decrease oversteer" it says "lower" for front tire pressure and "higher" for rear tire pressure.

I'm not a national champ, but I am a physicist.
Hi, all this made lots of sense until the part with lowering front tire pressure or raising rear tire pressure will decrease oversteer. You said in the prior sentence that softening rates in the front or stiffening rates in the rear will induce greater relative adhesion in the front, which contradicts, a lower front tire pressure decreasing oversteer. A lower front tire pressure basically equates to a lower front wheel rate which should give the car more grip in the front end... thus increasing oversteer. Am I wrong in thinking this way?

So looking at tire pressure affecting wheel rate, lower tire pressure = softer wheel rate, which means lower relative tire pressure in the front should grip better and cure understeer correct? or no...

Sorry to keep asking the same question over and over again... just as a mechanical engineering student and a FSAE member, it's not making sense. About the lower car handling better, weight transfer is a function of lateral G's and track width. Thus lowering the car decreases the size of the moment arm and the amount of weight transferred which helps overall traction.

*edit: by lift forces do you mean normal forces?

Last edited by chishifu; 06-27-2007 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:45 AM
gunslinger

Originally Posted by chishifu
.. thus increasing oversteer. Am I wrong in thinking this way?

About the lower car handling better, weight transfer is a function of lateral G's and track width. Thus lowering the car decreases the size of the moment arm and the amount of weight transferred which helps overall traction.

*edit: by lift forces do you mean normal forces?
Hi,

Sorry for the confusion, just a brain f*rt on my part; intermixing over- and under- steer in my sentences. It's what I get for typing between meetings. You are correct and I edited my remarks to show this.

Yes, lowering the car reduces the center of gravity and weight transfer is proportional to the height of the car. Therefore the weight transfer won't be as drastic as those with a higher car and the moment arm, or torque, generated while accelerating (in any direction) will be less.

And lift forces are the normal forces exerted by the ground.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:04 AM
Beau

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anybody comment on how lowering a car affects the suspension geometry and the roll centers?

Back in my Mustang days I recall that lowering the car pretty much made poor suspension geometry horrible because the roll center in the front would be pushed about 6ft under ground when lowered X inches.

I've been curious about this topic with Z's for awhile.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:39 AM
chishifu

Originally Posted by gunslinger
Hi,

Sorry for the confusion, just a brain f*rt on my part; intermixing over- and under- steer in my sentences. It's what I get for typing between meetings. You are correct and I edited my remarks to show this.

Yes, lowering the car reduces the center of gravity and weight transfer is proportional to the height of the car. Therefore the weight transfer won't be as drastic as those with a higher car and the moment arm, or torque, generated while accelerating (in any direction) will be less.

And lift forces are the normal forces exerted by the ground.
Thanks so much... this all actually makes sense to me. But those links in one of the previous posts state just the opposite... any ideas to that one?
Old 06-29-2007, 06:01 PM
NGZ

You said in the prior sentence that softening rates in the front or stiffening rates in the rear will induce greater relative adhesion in the front, which contradicts, a lower front tire pressure decreasing oversteer. A lower front tire pressure basically equates to a lower front wheel rate which should give the car more grip in the front end... thus increasing oversteer. Am I wrong in thinking this way?

So looking at tire pressure affecting wheel rate, lower tire pressure = softer wheel rate, which means lower relative tire pressure in the front should grip better and cure understeer correct? or no...
Was there an answer to this question?
Old 06-29-2007, 06:15 PM
NGZ

I guess here's a related question - is the purpose of "increasing front tire pressure" only to increase the load capacity of the tire? I.e., when considering the tire's adhesive capacity while cornering, all this setting takes advantage of is increasing load capacity, rather than using the spring property of tires?

If this is the case, is adjusting tire pressure an optimization with 2 conflicting factors:
1) the spring rate of the tire: increased pressure = increased spring rate = less adhesion = A
2) the load capacity of the tire: increased pressure = more adhesion = B
But because A + B > 0, we increase the tire pressure?
Old 06-29-2007, 08:51 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Initially increase tire pressure to prevent roll-over (sidewalls have LOUSY grip compared to tread). That gets you in the ballpark for tire pressures.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:01 PM
tmak26b

You lose grip as you increase in pressure, also tires don't build up as much heat with a tire that is high on pressure. You go with feel and what the pyrometer tells you. This is not 1980, you don't just go by how much you roll a tire
Old 06-30-2007, 12:42 PM
chishifu

Originally Posted by NGZ
I guess here's a related question - is the purpose of "increasing front tire pressure" only to increase the load capacity of the tire? I.e., when considering the tire's adhesive capacity while cornering, all this setting takes advantage of is increasing load capacity, rather than using the spring property of tires?

If this is the case, is adjusting tire pressure an optimization with 2 conflicting factors:
1) the spring rate of the tire: increased pressure = increased spring rate = less adhesion = A
2) the load capacity of the tire: increased pressure = more adhesion = B
But because A + B > 0, we increase the tire pressure?
Hi, I posted that question above and the original poster explained he simply made a typo between under and oversteer. So he was agreeing with what I had made in the post.

Very interesting proposition that you made in your post between the spring effect and load capacity effect. I've read about load capacity in quite a few posts and have been wondering how it affects adhesion exactly. All it is, is how much load a tire can 'handle' from what i've read. But what happens when you exceed that load capacity and how does it affect handling? Thanks man.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:09 PM
black06z

Wow!!!! you guys are having understeer problems on a RWD????weird stuff.
Anyways, to increase more oversteer, get a suspension to where you adjust dampening: Softer in the front, and harder in the rear.
Add negative camber at the front, reduce toe-in/add some toe-out, increase front tire pressures.

Last edited by black06z; 06-30-2007 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:55 PM
NGZ

Originally Posted by black06z
Anyways, to increase more oversteer, get a suspension to where you adjust dampening: Softer in the front, and harder in the rear.
Add negative camber at the front, reduce toe-in/add some toe-out, increase front tire pressures.
You are my hero.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:56 PM
NGZ

Very interesting proposition that you made in your post between the spring effect and load capacity effect. I've read about load capacity in quite a few posts and have been wondering how it affects adhesion exactly. All it is, is how much load a tire can 'handle' from what i've read. But what happens when you exceed that load capacity and how does it affect handling? Thanks man.
I tried looking around for some kind of graph to see how all these various factors play together, but couldn't find anything.

What I did find though, is a similar discussion at HybridZ.org:
http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=88751
Old 07-01-2007, 12:21 AM
chishifu

Originally Posted by black06z
again with the increase front tire pressure to get more oversteer... why????
Old 07-01-2007, 06:49 AM
PedalFaster

I think the mistake you're making is assuming that everyone on this thread (or any other internet forum thread) knows what they're talking about. They don't.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:54 AM
03BrickyardZ

Originally Posted by tonywenzel
non-staggered tire sizes and sway bars will help dramatically.
+1
Old 07-01-2007, 07:45 AM
PDX_Racer

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
I think the mistake you're making is assuming that everyone on this thread (or any other internet forum thread) knows what they're talking about. They don't.
+1,000,000
Old 07-01-2007, 08:31 AM
dovla

Because higher (within range) tire pressure reduces the slip angle (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slip_angle) and lower pressure increases it.

Btw, I like your persistence.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:14 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dovla
Because higher (within range) tire pressure reduces the slip angle (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slip_angle) and lower pressure increases it.

Why would a change in slip angle be desirable?
Old 07-01-2007, 10:37 AM
chishifu

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
Heh... yeah well, I'm not entirely sure of my own opinions about how tire pressure affects handling, which is why i've asked for an explanation of the physics so I can judge for myself how correct the information I've read is. However, what really threw me off is the prior post linking information from tirerack and rsr stating that increasing front tire pressure will reduce understeer... I still would like that explained.

Interesting... I have never heard of this type of explanation before, but again, a problem I see is that tires in general have maximum adhesion when they are at a slip angle of between 5-10 degrees. Thus at the limit, if the rears are at this maximum traction, but the fronts are at a smaller slip angle, the rears will have more grip and you will continue to have understeer.

BTW, how did you come up with this information about slip angle and tire pressures?

Thanks guys.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heh... yeah well, I'm not entirely sure of my own opinions about how tire pressure affects handling, which is why i've asked for an explanation of the physics so I can judge for myself how correct the information I've read is. However, what really threw me off is the prior post linking information from tirerack and rsr stating that increasing front tire pressure will reduce understeer... I still would like that explained.
It has been explained more than once in this topic already. It's related to tire spring rate. And it assumes the tire's pressure is optimized for the setup to begin with.

Interesting... I have never heard of this type of explanation before, but again, a problem I see is that tires in general have maximum adhesion when they are at a slip angle of between 5-10 degrees. Thus at the limit, if the rears are at this maximum traction, but the fronts are at a smaller slip angle, the rears will have more grip and you will continue to have understeer.

BTW, how did you come up with this information about slip angle and tire pressures?

Thanks guys.
Tires do generate the most grip at their slip angle limit. But I doubt in means the more slip angle you get, the more grips the tire will generate in turn...

Quick Reply: How to eliminate understeer in AutoX?