Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

i have an oversteer problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 08:13 AM
dmoffitt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nah - a lot of BMW (spec e30) guys disconnect one side of the Suspension Techniques bars depending on the track - thats LESS than a stock bar then, obviously

"Optimal" is what's good for you / the track / the situation. Nothing more, nothing less. Not what some internet forum tells you (oh the irony) :P
Old 08-07-2007, 11:14 AM
pedroosan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm... betamotorsports, the text you quoted is a bit confusing to me:
It seems weird why somebody would upon understeer decide to try to deliberately get into throttle oversteer? Is that even possible? Maybe only with a lot of horsepower/torque...?
And I think recovering from power oversteer should be by lifting slightly?

Could you clarify please? Thanks!
See my comments below...

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
Although this is probably not the case here, its something to think about when trying to figure out an "oversteer" problem:

Most people "think" they have an oversteer problem due to horsepower when they really don't. The real problem is understeer and the driver's right foot. Here's what happens:

1. At the threshold just below where the rear tires break traction due to engine torque, the car will generally be pushing pretty bad due to weigh transfer to the rear.
2. To compensate the driver has put in a lot of steering to get the car to turn.
3. The driver then thinks - "More power will reduce the understeer by breaking the rear tires lose."
I would think you lift a little or brake a tiny bit and steer less to reduce understeer. Anyway what's suggested here I guess is like saying: Hey I want to slide a little and don't work so hard at my steering... let's just deliberately get into power oversteer
4. Drive adds power.
5. Rear tires break traction.
6. Weight transfers forward increasing front grip, reducing rear grip, and the understeer goes away.
7. Because of the extra steering the driver has put in to compensate, the front of the car darts in the direction of the steering due to the new found front grip.
8. Rear tires are now sliding in the opposite direction as the fronts.
9. Driver's hands are not fast enough to catch the spin.
10. Driver gets scared and lifts off the throttle.
Recovering from a power or throttle oversteer would be by lifting the throttle slightly??? (but not that much so that you don't get into oversteer due to weight going to the front)
11. More weight transfers forward, increasing front grip and reducing rear grip while the chassis is rotating. This increases the the rate of rotation.
weight goes forward if the car slows, but on power oversteer due to the slippage there is not much acceleration? So when lifting the throttle slightly, at some point the rears will start to grip again and then cause acceleration (and not weight forward)? Hence recovery from power oversteer.
12. Car goes past 90 degrees and driver is now countersteering the wrong way.
13. Spin...

Old 08-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Grip_corners

I am back as Grip_corners, pole posistions mounted up and im fixing my allignment shortly, What do you recoment for toe front and rear. I will be running -1.9 front camber and -1.2 rear
Old 08-07-2007, 11:26 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^hahahahahahahaha
Old 08-07-2007, 11:31 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm... betamotorsports, the text you quoted is a bit confusing to me:
Its not the right thing to do by any means, but being a driving instructor with SCCA, NASA, Speedventures, SVTOA, and a couple Z clubs, what I posted above is something I see occaisionally with brand new drivers complaining about an oversteer problem.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:35 AM
Grip_corners

yeah i figured youd like that.. Im going to toy with the allignment first, then move to a sway bar switch. I just measured the tread of my 285/30/18 pole positions, and as it turns out they are just as wide as my 315/35/18 bf gforce ta kd's
Old 08-10-2007, 04:14 PM
darren mcardel

run 195 all-seasons in front.

should solve the problem.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:27 PM
rkd350z

I have similar problems. after I got my allignment
my rears are set at 6 or 7 also, and when I turn left my right side rear tends to not follow the front but feels like going out..