Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Winter Plans Anyone???

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 12:17 PM
nkohler

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Installing this:

Also:

- Remove rear sway bar and rear coilovers and clean/lube everything and try to get rid of some slight clunking I have got going on back there.

- Change diff and trans fluid

- Change PS fluid

- Install Evo-R hood dampeners

- Purchase new 5zigen 17x10 FN01RC and 275 series rubber for them

- Figure out how to get a tow hook to work with my Aerosync front bumper (it covers the OEM tow hook hole).
Old 11-29-2007, 12:30 PM
Billhyco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm kind of weary on that cusco cage as well. With the bends that essentially will go under the dash, instead of through, are nothing more then a weak spot in a front collision. May be ok for Auto-X but not sure it would pass any SCCA/NASA/PCA etc... regulations. I certainly would hope not anyway.

anyhow...its cool to see what everyone is up to this winter. I have so many things I would like to do, but I know I will run short of money long before its all completed. Hell at one point even thought about selling every mod I have and going back to stock. This way I could buy a mx-5 car or something along those lines. I found a couple formula cars, parts and trailer for not much more then I have in all my mods. Oh well we'll see.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:09 PM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stack
Okee Dokee... that seventh point will do the trick I'm sure . Sorry I care, lets hope you never have to find out if it works or not.
wow, dude you need to eat a tampon and calm down a bit. its not a full out race car, its a street car that sees a roadcourse couple times a month at most.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:05 AM
Stack

Originally Posted by drift_projekt_Z
wow, dude you need to eat a tampon and calm down a bit.
Nice... how's the 4th grade working out for ya?

its not a full out race car, its a street car that sees a roadcourse couple times a month at most.
IF you do in fact do "a couple roadcourse" events a month, you better check with whoever you run with before getting this bar.

Look... all I'm saying is, I hate to see anyone spend that kind of money on something worthless. And it is actually worse than no cage at all IMHO. God forbid you rolled that thing on track or WORSE on the street (where the time it takes an ambulance or fire/rescue to get to you is anyone's guess). Those bends in the front tubes will only move one direction, down and back either into your seat, or beside you, effectively trapping you in the car.

The main hoop without a diagonal cross bar renders the bar useless for any practical purpose, the tubing is too small, it has too many joints and bends, too many "lightweight fasteners"

My guess is you haven't considered any padding for the roll bar yet either have you? (Or if you have, it'll be the foam pipe insulation found at Home Depot or something.)

For the money you're talking about spending, you could get a very nice custom 4-point roll bar that would NOT compromise your safety in an accident on or off track.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:25 AM
Billhyco

I found a local guy to do a 4pt cage for 700 bucks. didn't think that was to bad considering it would be custom fit. He does a lot of cages around here and I have seen his work. Well worth the extra couple hundred to get quality, safe products, no matter what the product is or what its intended to do.

anyhow, back on track.......
Old 11-30-2007, 05:34 AM
mpowers

Stacy let him have his cage, I need a parts car for a super secret project and will be cheaper when his next of kin sells it to me.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:37 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I think I will stay out of the Cage debate here....but I agree with Stacy.

Looks like my winter plans include an engine pull

Old 11-30-2007, 08:19 AM
Billhyco

Originally Posted by mhoward1
I think I will stay out of the Cage debate here....but I agree with Stacy.

Looks like my winter plans include an engine pull

did it break or looking for more power???
Old 11-30-2007, 08:22 PM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Looks like it broke, but I should be able to get more power and a better setup on the rebuild
Old 11-30-2007, 08:39 PM
1cockyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tc kline koni's, kinetix front a arms, nismo bushings, swap the longblock and build the one I pull out. Clean and regrease sway bar bushings. Clean out and organize the garage. Look for a cheap used harness bar. Install my cobra evolution seat. Read some books.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:35 AM
Billhyco

Originally Posted by 1cockyZ
tc kline koni's, kinetix front a arms, nismo bushings, swap the longblock and build the one I pull out. Clean and regrease sway bar bushings. Clean out and organize the garage. Look for a cheap used harness bar. Install my cobra evolution seat. Read some books.
i know Jersey has some long winters at times but geeesh, thats a lot of shizzle!! good luck with it all...should be hella fun once its done!
Old 12-02-2007, 12:26 AM
bbs350z

Originally Posted by Stack
Nice... how's the 4th grade working out for ya?

IF you do in fact do "a couple roadcourse" events a month, you better check with whoever you run with before getting this bar.

Look... all I'm saying is, I hate to see anyone spend that kind of money on something worthless. And it is actually worse than no cage at all IMHO. God forbid you rolled that thing on track or WORSE on the street (where the time it takes an ambulance or fire/rescue to get to you is anyone's guess). Those bends in the front tubes will only move one direction, down and back either into your seat, or beside you, effectively trapping you in the car.

The main hoop without a diagonal cross bar renders the bar useless for any practical purpose, the tubing is too small, it has too many joints and bends, too many "lightweight fasteners"

My guess is you haven't considered any padding for the roll bar yet either have you? (Or if you have, it'll be the foam pipe insulation found at Home Depot or something.)

For the money you're talking about spending, you could get a very nice custom 4-point roll bar that would NOT compromise your safety in an accident on or off track.
well since you ask, the rollcage is going to be installed, and the joints welded and then padded with an x bar. so its a modified cusco setup. and no, its not home depot padding, its actual rollbar padding (http://www.safedrives.com/proddetail...2DDDpad&cat=72)
Old 12-02-2007, 03:48 AM
dmoffitt

I'm with stacy - why start with crap then modify it? But hey, tons of power w/ defective safety equipment should make for a GREAT time. (you ever stop and think why all of these random people on the intarw3b are harassing you? hint hint: it ain't for kicks and giggles, maybe we actually care to NOT read another "kid killed at the track" thread?).

my plans are up in the air right now, finishing a disastrously over-budget loft renovation right now... if I'm not broke on the street I have more trailer plans than car but I want to remove some OEM wiring (stereo, radio, etc) and clean stuff up interior wise, race car or not, its kinda meh in there.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:51 PM
Kolia

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Billhyco
I found a local guy to do a 4pt cage for 700 bucks. didn't think that was to bad considering it would be custom fit. He does a lot of cages around here and I have seen his work. Well worth the extra couple hundred to get quality, safe products, no matter what the product is or what its intended to do.

anyhow, back on track.......
700$ is about half what I was budgeting for a custom roll bar. What standards does he adhere to ? SCCA? FIA?
Old 12-02-2007, 03:56 PM
six3mike

BCR harness bar, SFR TT kit, Tanabe and gt spec braces.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Billhyco

Originally Posted by Kolia
700$ is about half what I was budgeting for a custom roll bar. What standards does he adhere to ? SCCA? FIA?
I know he runs his car in SCCA and when I talked to him he said he would build it to whatever standards.

http://www.competitioncages.com/
Old 12-02-2007, 10:10 PM
dmoffitt

Originally Posted by Billhyco
wow, looks like good work there.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:27 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Chris Schimmell does quality work. He builds for NASA, Car Guys, SCCA and many more. he just happens to be quite a bargain as well for the work he does.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:31 AM
six3mike

Oh, and Carbon LTD TS diffuser replica.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:44 AM
dmoffitt

Originally Posted by mhoward1
Chris Schimmell does quality work. He builds for NASA, Car Guys, SCCA and many more. he just happens to be quite a bargain as well for the work he does.
I hear that. The guys who did mine, ProCar Performance (www.procarperformance.com - in Rochester) are the same way - they love their jobs and love cars more than making a ton of cash.

Quick Reply: Winter Plans Anyone???