Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Sumitomo HTR Z III

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 11:30 PM
dklau33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sumitomo HTR Z III

Apparently this tire has been ranked number 1 as the best max performance summer tire beating out the other competitors (Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position, Yokohoma ADVAN Sport, Continental Contisport Contact 3).

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...ay.jsp?ttid=93

Has anyone had any experience or heard anything about these new tires? I know that their previous HTR Z tires just plain sucked because I used to have them. Right now I'm on REO50As and I love them for the street and track. After my next HPDE in Jan my tires will be gone and I'll need a new set. Wanted to get another set of the RE05As again but this new Sumitomo has me thinking especially with the much cheaper price and tireracks ranking. Is it too good to be true that this Sumitomo has more grip than the Bridgestone, almost performs just as good in the wet, and is much cheaper with double the treadwear?

Last edited by dklau33; 11-29-2007 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

I havent noticed them at the track yet. I will be on the lookout for them, but 300 treadwear seems a bit too high for a sticky compound.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:04 AM
MoJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dklau33
Apparently this tire has been ranked number 1 as the best max performance summer tire beating out the other competitors (Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position, Yokohoma ADVAN Sport, Continental Contisport Contact 3).

Has anyone had any experience or heard anything about these new tires? I know that their previous HTR Z tires just plain sucked because I used to have them. Right now I'm on REO50As and I love them for the street and track. After my next HPDE in Jan my tires will be gone and I'll need a new set. Wanted to get another set of the RE05As again but this new Sumitomo has me thinking especially with the much cheaper price and tireracks ranking. Is it too good to be true that this Sumitomo has more grip than the Bridgestone, almost performs just as good in the wet, and is much cheaper with double the treadwear?
Heh, you've been reading the exact same info as me. The ratings from tirerack look great. The price is great. I've been looking hard for some real world opinions.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:12 AM
MR_X

My BMW has a set of this on the stock rims. I like them a lot. I wish they would come in more sizes. I would love to put them on my Z. I don't know if it is the size, 205/50-17 but they are also pretty quiet and awesome on the rain. Because of my size, I do experience some side wall flex when pushed hard.

Last edited by MR_X; 12-01-2007 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:01 PM
dklau33

MRX would you characterize the side wall flex as a result of your tire size strictly? Or is the side wall a bit soft on these tires? This tire really does sound great and I wouldn't mind trying them at least once since they are really cheap but if the side walls are soft that's not going to do me too good on HPDE days. And with 300 treadwear it'd be too long of a wait for them to run out to get a new set of tires.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:44 PM
dmoffitt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was ANYTHING but impressed by the "II" version on my e30 bmw.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:54 AM
MoJ

Originally Posted by dmoffitt
I was ANYTHING but impressed by the "II" version on my e30 bmw.
That's what makes me hesitant to purchase. There's a ton of negative reviews on the web for the earlier versions. Somebody buy the III and hurry up and put a bunch of miles on them so I can have a real world review!
Old 12-02-2007, 06:34 AM
DomZ

I put 255 40 17s on the back of my stock 17s and I loved them (the HTRZII). These have a very wimpy looking tread pattern though. The ZII's looked awesome and performed awesome. For approximately $400 for a set you really can't deny the value here.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:49 AM
MR_X

MRX would you characterize the side wall flex as a result of your tire size strictly? Or is the side wall a bit soft on these tires? This tire really does sound great and I wouldn't mind trying them at least once since they are really cheap but if the side walls are soft that's not going to do me too good on HPDE days. And with 300 treadwear it'd be too long of a wait for them to run out to get a new set of tires.
I think it is because my side wall. I used to push my BMW hard during canyon runs but it hang pretty well with my Z. My 330i also had Bilstein Coilovers but the tires are stock sized vs Z which have Zenn springs and Dunlops SP9000s on 19x9.5 TE37s. 50mm is pretty tall comparing it to the size you be looking at. The other thing I like about it that they are quit... but I think tht has more to do because the insulation in my BMW. I will use this tires again for sure.

Last edited by MR_X; 12-02-2007 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:24 AM
dklau33

Originally Posted by DomZ
I put 255 40 17s on the back of my stock 17s and I loved them (the HTRZII). These have a very wimpy looking tread pattern though. The ZII's looked awesome and performed awesome. For approximately $400 for a set you really can't deny the value here.
You are the only one I've ever heard of describing the Z II's as awesome. Did you ever track or autocross with those?
Old 12-02-2007, 10:28 PM
dmoffitt

You are the only one I've ever heard of describing the Z II's as awesome. Did you ever track or autocross with those?
Seriously. ONE autox in my e30 and all I wanted to do was drift / do burnouts and wear the useless pieces of crap off so I'd have an excuse to toss them and buy better tires.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:54 AM
FORZWIN

I used to have the II's on my old Mazdaspeed Protege. I had to replace the tires as soon as I got it, so those tires were all I knew. I ended up selling it to my dad and got my Z. I went to drive it the other day a made it a mile up the road before I brought it back home. Sidewall flex was horrible, the car had sloppy turn-in and overall wasn't pleasent to drive. I keep throwing better ideas at him, hopefully this new tire is better...a lot better.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:11 PM
dklau33

Well for the new tire to have taken first place and beat out the Potenza RE050A PP, it has to be leaps and bounds better than the II's. I think I may just be a guinea pig and try them out considering they are cheap.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:28 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I ordered this tire a couple of days ago and it looks like they still haven't processed my order. I don't autocross my Z or go to a track (other than the drag strip and even then I use slicks), though.

So, even if I were to give my impression of them, I don't know how valid they'll be to most of you guys.

Also, I was wondering if you guys read the full test results.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:02 AM
dklau33

Yes, I have that same link in my original post. That's the reason why I'm so interested in this tire. Tireracks tests has a lot of validity. Now I'm just looking for some real world feedback.

But please do come back and give your review/impressions on the tires after you have driven on them for at least a couple hundred of miles.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:08 AM
MyV6IsFast3r

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What do you mean you wish they made more sizes? They make like every size. Way better size selection than most places. I think I may get these for myself for Christmas.... I have been looking at tires for months and can't find a matching set in the size I want. The size selection on these sold me.

http://www.groupawheels.com/Catalog....7-df6393aec643
Old 12-05-2007, 06:50 PM
dmoffitt

tirerack "tests" are survey results, last I checked. considering how the average american drives, the average survey answer is at best a vague guideline... hell, people still buy BUICKS
Old 12-05-2007, 09:25 PM
dklau33

Originally Posted by dmoffitt
tirerack "tests" are survey results, last I checked. considering how the average american drives, the average survey answer is at best a vague guideline... hell, people still buy BUICKS
Dood, click on those links and read. Those are tireracks own inhouse tests on their own test track in a controlled environment.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:03 AM
dklau33

So my friend with a FD RX-7 just bought a set of these in a staggered 225/45/17 and 255/40/17 setup. All for a little over $400. I'll see what he thinks of these after he gets some more time on them.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:17 AM
95snoozer

If you want a well priced max performance tire get the khumo MX. spend a little more and buy a BFG KD

I forget what sizes they make them in, but you can get the run flat MX for the vette and use it on your wheel if its the right size

Quick Reply: Sumitomo HTR Z III