Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

In Car Autocross Video

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 03:02 PM
nicolaycastro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you guys going to the Moroso practice the 22nd?

Should be fun, day and night event!
Old 12-06-2007, 11:02 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TractionCircle
Do you have any incar footage from your runs? I would love to see take some pointers. (Too bad you are West Coast)
Yeah, I've got some that I still need to pull off the camcorder from Topeka.

The downside to the west coast is that the top two (or two of the top three) RX-8 drivers are out here, so I'm always having to run against them at national tours, but they're great guys, so it's always fun.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:00 AM
TractionCircle

Originally Posted by PDX_Racer
Yeah, I've got some that I still need to pull off the camcorder from Topeka.

The downside to the west coast is that the top two (or two of the top three) RX-8 drivers are out here, so I'm always having to run against them at national tours, but they're great guys, so it's always fun.
That's prolly a good thing...I've learned that people will typically only get as good as their competition...if you have a lot of national-level guys at your events then you really know how you are doing.

I would love to see the incar if you can, I've found it's a great learning tool. At the beginning of last season, I would watch the incar from Darrin (Disimo) and bang my head against a wall wondering why I was so far behind him.

Originally Posted by nicolaycastro

I didn't know about this event, but yes...I will be there. On street tires, but maybe Leo will let me try out his car
Old 12-07-2007, 05:44 AM
l30thelion

Nicolay, thanks for the heads up on that event, I was hoping for another event in Dec, very kewl.

I didn't know about this event, but yes...I will be there. On street tires, but maybe Leo will let me try out his car
Dude, no problem, I'd be happy to have you destroy me in my own car, I look forward to it . Seriously though, no problem, I'm trying to figure out how to get faster. I'm in a total slump. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up on some of the things you're doing right. It's gonna be tough to keep up w/ you and Mike, you guys are driving so well, Nicolay is getting faster all the time too.
Next year's looking like a lot of fun, lots of really good Z drivers in South Florida.

Maybe a National Tour will help too, I believe there'll be 2 in GA which is doable for me. Gotta step up!

I'd like to drive your car to see what the 07 feels like too.

Last edited by l30thelion; 12-07-2007 at 05:48 AM.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:02 AM
TractionCircle

I just registered....you are welcome to drive mine any time you want.

I agree, I think this is gonna be a fun year locally as well as nationally. Can't wait to see what your car feels like on the 710's!
Old 12-07-2007, 06:45 AM
nicolaycastro

[QUOTE=l30thelion]Nicolay, thanks for the heads up on that event, I was hoping for another event in Dec, very kewl.
[QUOTE]

No prob, Z ya there!
Old 12-07-2007, 08:15 AM
nkohler

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is one of my videos, its not quite "in car" but its shot with an outside car mount shown here on my car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDoBiKZp7rs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pWySeFfxAE

I also have a few true "in car" videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og9XauM5L3w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8goPnlO59g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gi4QZnrpCw

This is my first year autocrossing competitively so go easy on me I have a lot of room for improvement. You can tell in my video that I am not yet used to the speed and not reading far enough ahead because I am off of the throttle a lot when I could be pushing through it. I suppose that will come with time and practice with the car.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:01 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Can't make it, I'm on call.

I hope all of you can make it to the Jan 5th and 6th event at GCAC though.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:29 PM
PDX_Racer

Suggestions on videos:

If you want a cool video of the run, mount the camera outside the car or on the front windshield so that you can see the course.

If you want to find out what you're doing and how you can get better, then mount the camera where it can see *you* -- and out the front window. You'd be amazed at how much I've been able to learn just by watching my hands or my head on each run.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:21 PM
nicolaycastro

Suggestions on videos:

If you want a cool video of the run, mount the camera outside the car or on the front windshield so that you can see the course.

If you want to find out what you're doing and how you can get better, then mount the camera where it can see *you* -- and out the front window. You'd be amazed at how much I've been able to learn just by watching my hands or my head on each run.
This is a video with a mount borrowed from Mike, which I placed so that I could see my steering, and a bit of the track. The track is a little tricky, I believe I did much better last time, than the day of the video. But I welcome any critique on it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hd2xkqen_x4

Last edited by nicolaycastro; 12-07-2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:06 PM
PDX_Racer

This is a video with a mount borrowed from Mike, which I placed so that I could see my steering, and a bit of the track. The track is a little tricky, I believe I did much better last time, than the day of the video. But I welcome any critique on it.
Never, EVER, let the wheel just "slide" through your hands. At that point, you're not in control of the car. (A habit that I've almost gotten licked, myself)

Adding steering input when the front wheels are already sliding just makes the understeer worse. (Another habit that I've been guilty of in the past)

Thanks for leaving the rear-view mirror down, it gives me some ability to see that you *are* looking ahead, which is even more critical the faster you go. The farther you're able to look ahead, the faster you'll be.

Suggestion: if you can, put the camera in the back window of the car (mine sits right underneath the center stoplight) so that you can see your hands, the wheel, and a bit of your helmet, as well as out the front window.

Oh, I'd forgotten that I'd put up a video from the Packwood NT this year (which includes some very blurry data overlays from an early prototype of AXAnalyst+Video). Packwood 350Z B Stock I'll try to get some video up from Nationals, but we were having problems with the camera.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:55 AM
nicolaycastro

Never, EVER, let the wheel just "slide" through your hands. At that point, you're not in control of the car. (A habit that I've almost gotten licked, myself)

Adding steering input when the front wheels are already sliding just makes the understeer worse. (Another habit that I've been guilty of in the past)

Thanks for leaving the rear-view mirror down, it gives me some ability to see that you *are* looking ahead, which is even more critical the faster you go. The farther you're able to look ahead, the faster you'll be.

Suggestion: if you can, put the camera in the back window of the car (mine sits right underneath the center stoplight) so that you can see your hands, the wheel, and a bit of your helmet, as well as out the front window.

Oh, I'd forgotten that I'd put up a video from the Packwood NT this year (which includes some very blurry data overlays from an early prototype of AXAnalyst+Video). Packwood 350Z B Stock I'll try to get some video up from Nationals, but we were having problems with the camera.
Thanks for the input! i defenetly need to work on both of those things, although I belive this particular track has helped me understand and imporve on both concepts.

I love the G meter on your video, but I wish it had sound.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:08 AM
ULLLOSE

Here is a video from the event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx7WrNhqhto

I would love to hear from PDX_Racer, Carter, ULLOSE, DriveI65, all the Nationals regulars, or any Z autocrosser out there. Please critique me! Any help/pointers are appreciated.

Can't wait to help make a showing for the Z's at nationals next year, look forward to meeting you all in person.

Jay
#97 STS2
Considering what you had to work with, bone stock car, it looks good. It is really hard to tell if you are late or early on stuff and what your line is like, inside camera shots always make it hard to see. I would mount the camera on the roof pointed down at the front of the car, then we can see how close you are to the cones.

By comparison we can hear, and see by your hands, that you are much smoother than the other guy who posted a video in this thread. I would guess that has come from a year of running in StreetTiresSuck2.

Welcome to BS.

Last edited by ULLLOSE; 12-08-2007 at 10:10 AM.