Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

How did you mount your harness

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 05:30 AM
z-u-later

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by laze1
Sure, you can mount them that way..but that doesn't mean they will protect you in an accident.

Why, Because you need a hole in seat base at the proper location for the crotch belts to pass thru......running the crotch belts over the front of a stock seat is very dangerous and will likely not pass most Tech in HPDE clubs like the PCA...
Who said I run my submarine belts over the front of a stock seat? That's not how my 6-point harnesses are setup.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:44 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by z-u-later
My shoulder harnesses are passed thru underneat the headrest, between the two poles. It's tight enough that it will not get separated.

I have the Avalon Racing Harness Bar, probably the rarest & strongest harness bar ever made for the 350Z. It is mounted on the stock seat belt mounting point on the B-pillar. Trust me, it is the best & safest designed harness bar ever made for the 350Z.

It passes tech inspections by my two local clubs. We have several national-level drivers (former & current SCCA National champions) in our clubs who are very knowledgeable of the safety requirements & they have inspected/passed my setup. I'll trust their judgment before I trust someone's cyber comments on this thread.
As stated, the setup would have to be verified at a safety inspection. Your seems to have been, so you are good in your region. Was it inspected for Auto X or HPDE/TT use? Just curious since the requirements are quite different for each. Our biggest concern on the units we have seen have been no diagonal support, and only two mounting points for a previous 4 point belt if attached to the harness bar itself. The final call is made by the club or organization you run with, so they are the ones who need to be satisfied.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:09 AM
laze1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, how do you route the crotch belts? Does you stock seat have a hole in the seat cushion?

BTW: You can run whatever you want...the driver is responsible for his/her safety. If you are happy, and your HPDE club is happy...go for it.

Who said I run my submarine belts over the front of a stock seat? That's not how my 6-point harnesses are setup.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:11 AM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by mhoward1
As stated, the setup would have to be verified at a safety inspection. Your seems to have been, so you are good in your region. Was it inspected for Auto X or HPDE/TT use? Just curious since the requirements are quite different for each. Our biggest concern on the units we have seen have been no diagonal support, and only two mounting points for a previous 4 point belt if attached to the harness bar itself. The final call is made by the club or organization you run with, so they are the ones who need to be satisfied.
It passes for autocross. I have not driven my car to an HPDE with my current setup. If it's not approved for HPDE, I'll just use my stock seat belt with the CG-lock.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:18 AM
z-u-later

So, how do you route the crotch belts? Does you stock seat have a hole in the seat cushion?
The submarine belts on my 6-point harness is run thru the gap behind the seat. It is laid on the seat flat, I sit on it, and I pull it up to the camlock. Since it is a 6-point harness, it is not directly on top of the crotch area, it wraps around it so it feels perfectly in place. The submarine belts are actually on the inside of my legs rather than the crotch area.

Last edited by z-u-later; 03-31-2008 at 06:21 AM.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:20 AM
z-u-later

Old 03-31-2008, 06:33 AM
laze1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Note: I am NOT an Engineer/Doctor/HPDE Tech Inspector, so take my comments for what they are worth i.e., nothing :-)

I just checked some of your other post and saw the pics of this setup.....If you are happy with it, cool! But I would strongly caution other folks from doing this..

Why? In a serious frontal impact...the shoulder belts and the crotch belts will compress your spine...and likely rip your Nads off....that is a very bad thing.

When the belts are mounted in the correct position, the G-forces are spread over areas of your body that have "hard points" like your hips and shoulders. In your setup, you are allowing significant G-forces to be applied over your Nads/leg muscles AND squeezing/compressing your spine.

The submarine belts on my 6-point harness is run thru the gap behind the seat. It is laid on the seat flat, I sit on it, and I pull it up to the camlock. Since it is a 6-point harness, it is not directly on top of the crotch area, it wraps around it so it feels perfectly in place. The submarine belts are actually on the inside of my legs rather than the crotch area.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:44 AM
z-u-later

Note: I am NOT an Engineer/Doctor/HPDE Tech Inspector, so take my comments for what they are worth i.e., nothing :-)

Why? In a serious frontal impact...the shoulder belts and the crotch belts will compress your spine...and likely rip your Nads off....that is a very bad thing.

When the belts are mounted in the correct position, the G-forces are spread over areas of your body that have "hard points" like your hips and shoulders. In your setup, you are allowing significant G-forces to be applied over your Nads/leg muscles AND squeezing/compressing your spine.
You must have a difficult time comprehending my setup but that's okay since you've never seen or have used it. I have a 6-point harness so don't forget the lap belts. Hips are taken care of by the lapbelts (bolted on the same mounting points as the stock lap belts) & submarine belts. My shoulder harnesses are wrap around my shoulders, not my head.

If the OEM lap belt mounting points are good enough for the stock lap belts, why wouldn't it be good enough for the lap belts that came with my 6-point harnesses? I don't undertand why you think the submarine belts are the only ones holding the hip area when there's also the lap belt supplementing it.