Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

IRL Champ Car Merge

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:04 AM
DmanG281

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default IRL Champ Car Merge

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/column...ohn&id=3267999

Will open wheel racing ever make a come back in the U.S.?
Old 02-28-2008, 08:09 AM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DmanG281
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/column...ohn&id=3267999

Will open wheel racing ever make a come back in the U.S.?
Well it's about DAMN time... Full steam ahead now...
Old 02-28-2008, 08:57 AM
Billhyco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome!! i cannot wait to start seeing some changes!
Old 02-28-2008, 09:17 AM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

*If we can just get rid of Tony George

*for the 09 season have both Cosworth & Honda engine leases

*for the 09 season have 60/40 split ovals to road races with a proposed 50/50 in the 10 season and negoiations to move away from the "redneck roundy rounders N**car copy cat league venues

* in 09 more than a single chasis type, remember competition makes cars better & safer for the consumer

* neither sanctioning body could survive, both owners in Cart Kalkhoven & Forsythe & in IRL (imitation racing league) Tony George were hemorraging $$$$ and they could not continue to do this. This is just not a sound business model, or they each could literally take their ball and go home. Neither side being very civil, it was just a matter or time before both sides would have to leave their egos in check and be forced to play nice with all parties.

* drivers & teams broke away from USAC/& the George family in the 70's he was trying to controll ALL tracks & owners, you know making the rules for everybody & thinking he was being the unquestionable god. Maybe they will have some ***** and not bow down to sponsors and break away from Tony George again!!!

Other than that great to see a unification of both open wheel sanctioning bodies
Old 02-28-2008, 09:26 AM
DmanG281

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think all the All-Star talent switching to NASCAR may have been a rude awakening.

NASCAR has Franchitti, Hornish, Villeneuve, Laly, Almendinger, Montoya, and Carpentier plus 1 or 2 others I'm forgetting.

Last edited by DmanG281; 02-28-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:28 PM
Snowhiteboiler

I'm just glad to see that the best US open wheel drivers (besides the NASCAR guys) will be competing against each again. I grew up in Indy and got to see a few great races before the split. Since '96 it hasn't been the same thing. I've already got the Streets of St. Pete and the 500 on my calendar this year and can't wait. This first year might be a little tough but it is worth it - I've been so excited about this for the last couple of weeks. Anyway, it will be interesting to see how everythig plays out this year... just read that Forsythe is shutting down (and Tracy is ride less now - headed to Foyt, possibly?)
Old 03-08-2008, 06:14 PM
boostlogic

I watch both series personally...still prefer Champ Car over Indy, any day of the week, (even though Champ Car's production value was cheap and cheesy).

Champ Car was awesome back in the CART days, when we had Honda, Toyota, and Mercedes Benz all supplying motors in the series. The driver line up was top notch too.

I personally would like to see a schedule consisting mainly of "permanent" road courses, with some temporary street circuits and ovals mixed in. The street circuits are "okay" from a "spectacle" stand point, but usually crappy for racing. Long Beach and Surfer's Paradise are decent tracks though. Saint Pete is okay. I enjoy the Twin Rings at Motegi and the Indy 500 for ovals. Texas and Michigan aren't bad either. I do prefer long ovals versus short ovals overall.

Hehe, I remember when CART had to call off the Texas oval race, I think back in 2000? The reason was because the driver's were experiencing "G-Lock" (blacking out), in the banked turns. The CART car (Lola/Reynard/March Chassis, paired with a Honda/Toyota/Mercedes Benz Turbo V8) was a force to be reckoned with...even when the 3 manufacturers left and Cosworth stepped up. The Panoz DP01 chassis has even more potential...and that's what really pisses me off about this merger. The fact that they took a car that did damn well in its inaugural season last year, and are going to scrap it for Tony George's piece of crap Dallara chassis.

It's kind of ironic though, since the Dallara chassis ended up being the sole survivor, versus the other Panoz chassis in the IRL. Unfortunately, the Panoz chassis in the IRL was garbage, compared to Champ Car's DP01 though. That's like when the Reynard chassis was king in the CART days, before Lola ended up dominating.

My opinion though, I think the DP01 that Champ Car currently uses, is totally superior to the Dallara that the IRL uses. Unlike the Dallara, which was developed for just oval racing (which has had some tweaks done to it, to make it road/street course capable)....the Panoz DP01 is designed for both road/street circuits AND ovals, (Elan Motorsports designed the DP01 this way, just in case a merger were to occur down the line).

But of course, since Tony George is a freaking moron, he's going to use his "IRL" chassis over the competitions, since his ego is so freaking huge. I wish he would realize that the DP01 is the more superior chassis and use that in the series, and continue development of that one.

Well, the season will be interesting for sure. I hope the Champ Car guys are able to catch up relatively quick, though that is probably a pipe dream. I'm rooting for Chip Ganassi this year, since he came so freaking close the past 2 seasons. I hope Danica has another dissapointing season too. Yeah, she's made progress I suppose, but then again, she's on a top team, with great mechanics, equipment, and a great race engineer. I'm sick of seeing an overrated driver getting a perfect opportunity to dominate in the series, when it can go to many other "more deserving" drivers. But hey, sexiness, appeal, popularity, and "drama" sells. Gotta take my hat off for Tony George to sweep her up from the Atlantics.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Snowhiteboiler

Great post! I agree with a lot of what you say. While I think that the Panoz chasis is probably a better set up for mixed use, you really can't blame TG for keeping the Dallara (especially considering the NA engine set up they are using). And having been at all types of open wheel races with various engine set ups, I personally enjoy the NA V8s over anything else I have heard, even the turbo'ed Mercs - (except possiblely the F1 V10s; 12k+ RPMs = sexy) I wouldn't be suprised though in the coming years if they open the process back up for all chasis manufacturers, and engine builders.

I am excited about the upcoming season (especially St. Pete and Indy b/c Ill be at both) and it will be interesting to see how things play out over the next months and years within the series. As a fan, I really hope that they are able to get their act together and figure some of the bigger issues out.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:40 AM
boostlogic

Originally Posted by Snowhiteboiler
Great post! I agree with a lot of what you say. While I think that the Panoz chasis is probably a better set up for mixed use, you really can't blame TG for keeping the Dallara (especially considering the NA engine set up they are using). And having been at all types of open wheel races with various engine set ups, I personally enjoy the NA V8s over anything else I have heard, even the turbo'ed Mercs - (except possiblely the F1 V10s; 12k+ RPMs = sexy) I wouldn't be suprised though in the coming years if they open the process back up for all chasis manufacturers, and engine builders.

I am excited about the upcoming season (especially St. Pete and Indy b/c Ill be at both) and it will be interesting to see how things play out over the next months and years within the series. As a fan, I really hope that they are able to get their act together and figure some of the bigger issues out.
Right on man! I'll be at Saint Pete myself in April, for the ALMS and Indy Car.

As far as NOT blaming Tony, I agree totally. I can't blame the man for not wanting to switch "his" equipment, in favor of his competitor's. Not to mention, Indy Car is plugging the scam that is "ethanol".

The Indy Car's sound good, but I personally prefer the sound of the boosted Cosworth V8. Just a shame, because I think the Panoz would have been an awesome car for the series. It already proved to be better than the Lola, and the Lola was one hell of a work horse. Plus, the Panoz is very "close racing" friendly...meaning more passing and closer racing, than the Lola or Dallara could ever dream of allowing.

Here's the specs of the 2 cars: (Credit goes to my free subscription to AutoWeek magazine).

Panoz DP01 Champ Car:

Price: $290,000, $1 million engine lease

Engine: 2.65 liter, turbocharged Cosworth V8

Fuel: 100 percent methanol

Rev Limit: 12,000 RPM; 12,300 RPM with "Power2Pass"

Power: 750 HP (approx. 800 HP with Power2Pass Button)

Transmission: Hewland seven-speed sequential paddle shift

Length: 190 inches

Width: 78 inches

Height: 38 inches (excluding roll hoop)

Wheelbase: 122.75 inches

Weight: 1,565 lb (minimum, with driver)

Tires: Bridgestone Potenzas mounted on 15 inch wheels; 10 inch wide fronts, 16 inch wide rears

Brakes: Cast-iron rotors, four piston calipers

Need To Know: The folks at the Don Panoz-owned Elan Motorsport Technologies-the company that designed and builds the DP01-might be wondering why they bothered building this car. After all, the first new Champ Car since the old Lola was updated in 2002, raced for one season. That is a shame, because the DP01 performed nearly flawlessly in its debut season and earned praise from drivers while providing fans with competitive on-track action. Yes, the car was designed to race on ovals AND to accommmodate Honda's IRL V8 Engine, had the opportunity risen....

Dallara Indycar

Price: $325,000 chassis; $950,000 engine lease

Engine: 3.5 liter, normally aspirated Honda V8

Fuel: 100 percent ethanol

Rev Limit: 10,300 RPM

Power: 670 HP (approx)

Transmission: Xtrac six-speed sequential paddle shift (first year of paddle shift transmission for Indy Cars)

Length: 192 inches

Width: 77.5 inches (minimum) to 78.5 inches (maximum)

Height: 38 inches (max, excluding roll hoop)

Wheelbase: 118 inches (minimum) to 122 inches (maximum)

Weight: For 2007: 1,530 lbs (minimum for oval tracks), 1,600 lbs (minimum for road/street circuits), excluding fuel and driver. For 2008: Rules will account for driver weight; actual weights TBD.

Tires: Firestone Firehawks mounted on 15 inch wheels; 10 inch wide fronts, 14 inch wide rears

Brakes: Carbon rotors, four piston calipers (oval tracks); steels rotors, six-piston calipers (road/street circuits)

Need To Know: The Indy Car Series machines have changed little since their introduction in 2003. The cars were intended originally to run on ovals only, but received update kits for road courses in 2005. The IRL introduced aerodynamic modifications in 2004 after several instances of cars taking flight at more than 200 mph. A new chassis design is coming, though it is unclear if it will arrive in 2010 or 2011.

So, in my opinion, while both cars are pretty competitive, the Panoz still looks better on paper. I'd love to see them race on the same track, and see which one posts the better lap times. The Dallara/Honda, will probably have a little more grunt, coming out of a corner, but the Panoz/Cosworth, would really have the advantage on the straights. Plus, the Panoz chassis makes much better use of aerodynamics, than the Dallara.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:09 AM
Snowhiteboiler

That is great info! I didn't realize that the panoz was designed to accomodate either engine. I have never heard the most recent Champ Car engines but can imagine they might have sounded pretty good.

I am hoping to make it to the ALMS race on Saturday, too, but am flying in that morning and will have to spend some new Uncle time with my brother's newborn (that is due earlier in that week).
Old 03-09-2008, 04:29 PM
boostlogic

Originally Posted by Snowhiteboiler
That is great info! I didn't realize that the panoz was designed to accomodate either engine. I have never heard the most recent Champ Car engines but can imagine they might have sounded pretty good.

I am hoping to make it to the ALMS race on Saturday, too, but am flying in that morning and will have to spend some new Uncle time with my brother's newborn (that is due earlier in that week).
Appreciate it. Took a little bit of time to post it, but not too bad.

Yes, I personally love the sound of the turbo charged Cosworth V8 at WOT, much better than the Indy Car naturally aspirated Honda V8. Plus, I think the Panoz looks way cooler, and is a much better car overall. They have better quality gear boxes in my opinion too.

Cool man, hopefully you can make it to the ALMS, but if you can't, it's not the end of the world. Definently be sure to spend some good quality time with your brother, his wife, and your new nephew/niece. An early big congrats to you on becoming an uncle. I myself, am an uncle of a great nephew and niece, with a 3rd on the way (not sure of the sex, mother wants it to be a surprise). So, I'm stoked!

I hope you enjoy your time down here in Florida. Hopefully the weather will be nice for the race events. Best regards.