Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Hey guys a few questions new to auto X

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 07:12 AM
kennedy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey guys a few questions new to auto X

I am competing in B-stock and wish t stay there for some time to dial in my driving skills.

I am looking for an adjustable shock that will work really well with the stock springs, The car does get daily driven and tracked on the weekends.

I am also looking at the cobb front adjustable sway bar is are those a good or are there better?

I was looking around last night and planning on going with Falken 615's or would I be better off If I can afford it going with an extra set of wheels and going with an R compound tire?

I really appreciate the input. Sorry for being such a newb. Just looking to get more competetive.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:17 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you driven on r-comps before? A lot of people I know recommend you drive on street tires first and the r-comps after you're very comfortable because the indication of tire limit on r-comps isn't as noticeable as street tires. At least that's what I was told

You may not want 615s because they do not last long.

I think most would recommend Koni yellow or Tokico D-Spec shocks. I can't really say what sway bar since I do not have any.

I'm sure DavesZ#3 will chime in, he's in B-Stock with the same mods you're asking about
Old 07-15-2008, 07:30 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,296 Likes on 1,653 Posts

615's are great, especially for HPDE and learning how to drive. I suggest burning off a couple sets of them before you cross over to R comps.

Next , how serious of an Autocross car do you want to build??
Old 07-15-2008, 07:38 AM
kennedy

Originally Posted by terrasmak
615's are great, especially for HPDE and learning how to drive. I suggest burning off a couple sets of them before you cross over to R comps.

Next , how serious of an Autocross car do you want to build??
I want to build the car to be a B-stock monster right now. Eventually I want to build the car out of that class.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:41 AM
DriveI65

IMHO

I run street tires every once in a while to see what bad habits have crept in but if you want to compete, go with Rs.

Get lightweight wheels that match your stock sizes and offsets. Get a set of Kumhos or Hoosiers. I like the Kumhos because they last longer for me. The Hoosiers cord to quickly. Tried the Hankooks and they are as bad as the Hoosiers but grip goes away quicker. Sizes are up to you. I can run 285s because I know one of a few people in the US that can mount one easily on a 8" wheel.

Koni yellows.

I'm can't recommend a sway. Still running the stock bar.

If you can get to an Evolution school it is a great way to get fast quicker. Well worth the money at the ones I've taken. Yeah, I took One twice because I'm a slow learner.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:43 AM
kennedy

What do most people use shock wise?
Koni or Tockico and who do you think has a better product? I think I am going to run street tires then eventually go to R compounds. I am also trying to find the factory brembo's soon to.

I think im going to bounderant this summer possibly I have family in phoenix

Last edited by kennedy; 07-15-2008 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:57 AM
Boozt

If you really want to compete go with A compounds (AutoX only) or R's if you large track and AutoX. I run, and like, the Koni Yellows with Eibach pro-springs (still a nice street ride) and the Hotchkis adjustable sways. Not sure you can stay in B stock with that many upgrades though...I run SM2 with all my goodies
Old 07-15-2008, 08:10 AM
DriveI65

Check out this site. It's been posted before but it's good reading.

Autocross Secrets
Old 07-15-2008, 08:14 AM
kennedy

Originally Posted by Boozt
If you really want to compete go with A compounds (AutoX only) or R's if you large track and AutoX. I run, and like, the Koni Yellows with Eibach pro-springs (still a nice street ride) and the Hotchkis adjustable sways. Not sure you can stay in B stock with that many upgrades though...I run SM2 with all my goodies
I have to keep my stock springs but the sway bar in the front I can change.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:19 AM
DriveI65

Originally Posted by Boozt
If you really want to compete go with A compounds (AutoX only) or R's if you large track and AutoX.
The A and R designations are Hoosier Tire product terms. My use of R was as in R compound tires. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:33 AM
Boozt

Originally Posted by DriveI65
The A and R designations are Hoosier Tire product terms. My use of R was as in R compound tires. Sorry for the confusion.

Not only hoosier. A compounds are ultra soft and made for AutoX...they will blister on a big track. R compounds are a road course tire that are way softer than street tires but don't stick as well for AutoX. my .02
Old 07-15-2008, 08:39 AM
kennedy

I will keep the A and R compound tires in mind. I think as someone other people have said I will stick with street tires so I can fix my mistakes I am not looking to band aid my poor driving I want to strengthen it.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:24 AM
z-u-later

My only advise is to mod the "nut" behind the wheel first. Then worry about the car later.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:08 AM
kennedy

Originally Posted by z-u-later
My only advise is to mod the "nut" behind the wheel first. Then worry about the car later.
LoL. I am a decent driver for a newb My first pass at autoX this weekend was 52.XX and I reeled down to 47.XX. I obviously would like a few things to make my car more competetive but the driver mod is what is going on first.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Boozt

Originally Posted by kennedy
LoL. I am a decent driver for a newb My first pass at autoX this weekend was 52.XX and I reeled down to 47.XX. I obviously would like a few things to make my car more competetive but the driver mod is what is going on first.

Good for you....there is no substitute for seat time
Old 07-15-2008, 11:19 AM
OPTIMO

Originally Posted by kennedy
I want to build the car to be a B-stock monster right now. Eventually I want to build the car out of that class.
Then work on your driving skill first.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:24 PM
kennedy

As for getting new shocks which do you perfer or suggest? koni, or tokico?
Old 07-15-2008, 01:48 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you can afford it, get the Koni yellows, but the Tokico D-specs are a good shock also for ~1/2 the price. Budget out the wheels/tires situation, then analyze. Factor in install cost and alignment as well.

I love the RT615s, always have, but the RE01R is a little faster if you can work the sizing. Are you going to have a dedicated set of autox/track wheels? Do you want your autox set-up to be ready for open track?
Old 07-15-2008, 01:52 PM
kennedy

Originally Posted by scotts300
If you can afford it, get the Koni yellows, but the Tokico D-specs are a good shock also for ~1/2 the price. Budget out the wheels/tires situation, then analyze. Factor in install cost and alignment as well.

I love the RT615s, always have, but the RE01R is a little faster if you can work the sizing. Are you going to have a dedicated set of autox/track wheels? Do you want your autox set-up to be ready for open track?
I am hoping to have a dedicated set for auto x and track wheels and tires..
I was looking at koni today they have the yellows and the race shocks what are the difference?