Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Redline Time Attack - Auto Club (California) Speedway - M-WorkZ 350Z takes 2nd!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 11:53 AM
stuntman

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
I originally went to his website, but didn't see any specs on the car. I am a crappy reader....did I miss it?
My bad, I thought the specs of the car were up there but I guess not.

Off the top of my head basics:
Built Cosworth VQ35
Cosworth CF intake manifold
JWT Twin Turbo kit (GT30s)
Moton Club Sport (double adjustable) coilovers
Swift Springs
SPL suspension links
Hotchkis swaybars
Volk Wheels
M-WorkZ -spec Brembo F50 front calipers
Full cage
Carbon doors
Carbon rear hatch, lexan window
C-west front and rear bumper
CF hood
Nismo rear wing?
Zero-mass CF steering wheel and mirrors (www.z-mass.com)

Thank you SPL for all the help and support for M-WorkZ and Verena's car, you make great products!
Old 07-24-2008, 12:38 PM
RKnight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.importtuner.com/features/...50z/index.html

This is an old article and a lot of things have changed on the car.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:59 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kuah@splparts.com
Great driving Billy, congratulations to you and to Steve Mitchell (M-Workz) for having a well driven and well setup car. Sounds like the car is now a contender for outright wins in Unlimited class...

Congratulations also to the other 350Z podium finishers:

Double Down team (3rd place Unlimited RWD, 2nd place Modified RWD) of Relentless Autosports, Scott Bush and Mike Bonnani

Verena Mei for winning the Drift class

SPL is pleased to be the suspension multilink provider for all 3 cars. Some day we hope to be able to compete in person again
Thanks Kuah! You have been great to us as since day one! We are proud to be a part of the "team".
Old 09-05-2008, 05:26 PM
M-Workz
Banned

OK, you guys asked for specs, so I will give you some. Please keep in mind that a race car is constantly evolving and is rarely the same at each race, unless you have to run a spec series. Since this is unlimited, I am making big changes every time the car goes out. I have been lucky that the car keeps getting faster. In my opinion the car is pretty simple and straight forward.

I also want to add that although this is qualified as a shop car, it really is all out of my own pocket as advertising. I want to thank all of my sponsors that have donated parts or given me a healthy discount. Without them, this car would have never been built.

Engine:
Cosworth heads, valves, cams, short block, fuel rails and intake manifold.
Nismo oil pump
HKS V-Pro ECU
JWT Twin turbo kit
Setrab oil cooler
Accusump
C&R racing radiator
Motul oil
K&N air filter and oil filter

Over 500 RWHP on a mild tune

Driveline:
Tilton triple plate clutch
Nismo GT-LSD
Stock transmission
Stock rear end ratio
Motul oil

Brakes:
Brembo 355 F50 fronts
Brembo OEM 350Z rears
Motul fluid
Stoptech lines
PFC pads

Suspension:
Moton clubsport double adjustable shocks
Swift springs
SPL Parts front and rear arms
SPL Parts solid diff mounts
Hotchkis sway bars
SPL Parts sway bar end links

Wheels:
Volk 18x10.5 rims all around
tires are what ever is cheap or free, so Hankook, BFG or Hoosier, depending on what is in my wallet.

Chassis:
Roll cage by Technosquare
Front bumper, rear bumper, side skirts and rear wing by Cwest
Doors, hood and hatch by AIT Racing
Lexan windshield and rear window
Steering wheel and mirrors by Zeromass
Sparco seat
Impact harness
Whiteline Black Box
Old 09-05-2008, 05:30 PM
DanielW
Banned

way ta rep it san
Old 09-05-2008, 06:02 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Hey Steve! Glad to see you finally got on the forums .
Old 09-05-2008, 06:17 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by M-Workz
OK, you guys asked for specs, so I will give you some. Please keep in mind that a race car is constantly evolving and is rarely the same at each race, unless you have to run a spec series. Since this is unlimited, I am making big changes every time the car goes out. I have been lucky that the car keeps getting faster. In my opinion the car is pretty simple and straight forward.

I also want to add that although this is qualified as a shop car, it really is all out of my own pocket as advertising. I want to thank all of my sponsors that have donated parts or given me a healthy discount. Without them, this car would have never been built.

Engine:
Cosworth heads, valves, cams, short block, fuel rails and intake manifold.
Nismo oil pump
HKS V-Pro ECU
JWT Twin turbo kit
Setrab oil cooler
Accusump
C&R racing radiator
Motul oil
K&N air filter and oil filter

Over 500 RWHP on a mild tune

Driveline:
Tilton triple plate clutch
Nismo GT-LSD
Stock transmission
Stock rear end ratio
Motul oil

Brakes:
Brembo 355 F50 fronts
Brembo OEM 350Z rears
Motul fluid
Stoptech lines
PFC pads

Suspension:
Moton clubsport double adjustable shocks
Swift springs
SPL Parts front and rear arms
SPL Parts solid diff mounts
Hotchkis sway bars
SPL Parts sway bar end links

Wheels:
Volk 18x10.5 rims all around
tires are what ever is cheap or free, so Hankook, BFG or Hoosier, depending on what is in my wallet.

Chassis:
Roll cage by Technosquare
Front bumper, rear bumper, side skirts and rear wing by Cwest
Doors, hood and hatch by AIT Racing
Lexan windshield and rear window
Steering wheel and mirrors by Zeromass
Sparco seat
Impact harness
Whiteline Black Box
What spring rates are you rnning on this car? Tire sizes? Camber? Thanks!
Old 09-05-2008, 06:37 PM
M-Workz
Banned

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
What spring rates are you rnning on this car? Tire sizes? Camber? Thanks!
These are questions that are like handing someone a gun. Is it loaded or not? Is the person you gave it to able to handle it?

I am not trying to be a dick or anything, but that is where I try to make some money. Spring rates and suspension settings are critical to making a car work properly, so asking for specs on a forum for free isn't the best idea.

To give a rough idea of rates and setup, I will give this up. Camber in front is between 3-4 degrees negative depending on the track and setup. The rear has gone from 3 degrees negative to less than 2. Spring rates I have changed every event since I started running the car. So that means I have run as low as 10 KG to as high as 26 KG. The thing is you have to balance the car every time you make changes. This means springs, shocks, aero and alignment. I am so lucky to work with Billy J on all of this, without his help, the car would not be as fast.

Tires, well I have run 295/315 Hoosiers, 285/285 BFG R1's, and 275/275 Hankook's. All of them on 18x10.5" volk wheels.

Sorry to be vague, but if I tell you my setup and you put it on your car and you go crash, who are you going to blame?

It takes lots of track time to figure out what the car wants. I learn every time the car turns a lap, regardless of who is driving. I have a Traqmate data system that is recording every lap the car does. I can lean a lot from it.

There is quite a lot of time left in the 350Z chassis to be found. I don't have the money and time to do everything I want to do. So it is just a case of getting the basics right every time you go out before doing development work. My car was the only one to run the full time in each session at the LBGP Time Attack Battle. Every other car had issues in at least one session. I am thinking of starting an at track tool rental business since that is all I seemed to do.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:02 AM
stuntman

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Alignments, camber, spring rates are all setup dependent. Different weights of cars, tire sizes/widths/compounds/diameters, offsets, suspension, ride height, spring rates, power level, etc... all affect the handling of the car and thus the optimized setup. That and the balance between performance, tire longevity, ease of driveability - understeer/oversteer, etc...

I agree that asking and giving setup advice randomly over the i-net, especially without knowing your setup, driving ability, objectives, etc... is not the best way to go about doing it. Steve/M-WorkZ does chassis setup for a living (for any car) and with 20+ years of racing experience, factory Nissan background, and the fastest Time Attack 350Z in the country, while aligning and corner-balancing some of the fastest Time Attack cars ranging from GTRs, to 350Zs, NSX (Factor-X), and more... he know's what he's doing.

M-WorkZ is a great shop who does tons of subtle things that really make the difference, let alone having all of that racing background to know how to corner-balance and align a car properly -which surprisingly many shops still don't do. If you're looking for the best alignment, corner balance, suspension setup and advice out there, I can't think of a better resource to work with, not just who you pay to work on your car.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:03 PM
warmmilk

whats the "Whiteline Black Box" listed under suspension?
Old 09-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by M-Workz
That's the best line right there.
Congrats on staying competitive. I lot of teams over-compensate with tires or whp, instead of working on the rest of the setup, or the driver.

We'll see you next year at the season opener.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:54 PM
djtimodj

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by warmmilk
whats the "Whiteline Black Box" listed under suspension?
It controls the cars understear/ overstear using the cars VDC system,
Old 09-06-2008, 02:51 PM
JETPILOT

That's the best line right there.
Congrats on staying competitive. I lot of teams over-compensate with tires or whp, instead of working on the rest of the setup, or the driver.

We'll see you next year at the season opener.
Do you hear that SCOTT BUSH.... Just incase you missed it Sharif says get some driving lessons and some smaller tires.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Do you hear that SCOTT BUSH.... Just incase you missed it Sharif says get some driving lessons and some smaller tires.
LOL....you are really trying to stir the pot.
I wasnt speaking about anyone in particular...just that a lot of teams do this, and it actually usually ends up working out pretty well. But imagine how much faster they would be, if the fixed up the other stuff first...and then slapped on the big bad rubber. I am still poking along with 400whp and 265/285's right now....hardly a monster.

Scott has about 20 years more track experience that I do....so I really don't think he needs driving lessons. Scott is a hired driver, so he has to do the best with the car he is given to drive, and he is very competitive at the events. We all have a lot more competition out there now.

Jet...what are you coming to the show? You are missing all the fun!
Old 09-06-2008, 03:23 PM
JETPILOT

I was just kidding...

I bought a new XTERRA last week for a tow vehicle. I am looking for a trailer now and I am still waiting for my wheels and shocks which were special order. ZEAL said they didn't have all the parts for the shocks in stock so I am not sure if I will have a working car to make it to VIR. They said I should get the shocks last week of Sept.

I was hoping to have had them by now and gotten in a track day at Sebring before VIR to sort out the shocks. But that's not going to happen.

I have been talking to Redline to get something going here in FL. These races are so far away. VIR is 1000mi from my house. Sucks!
Old 09-06-2008, 04:26 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

I was just kidding...

I bought a new XTERRA last week for a tow vehicle. I am looking for a trailer now and I am still waiting for my wheels and shocks which were special order. ZEAL said they didn't have all the parts for the shocks in stock so I am not sure if I will have a working car to make it to VIR. They said I should get the shocks last week of Sept.

I was hoping to have had them by now and gotten in a track day at Sebring before VIR to sort out the shocks. But that's not going to happen.

I have been talking to Redline to get something going here in FL. These races are so far away. VIR is 1000mi from my house. Sucks!
Hey, if you are looking for an open ultra light aluminum racing trailer, let me know. Jose, one of our customers...is intereted in selling his. The thing weighs 900lbs, so it tows super well.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:43 PM
JETPILOT

Hey, if you are looking for an open ultra light aluminum racing trailer, let me know. Jose, one of our customers...is intereted in selling his. The thing weighs 900lbs, so it tows super well.
PM sent!