Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Expanding seat foam?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 08:58 AM
DmanG281

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Expanding seat foam?

Hey guys, I'm looking for some expanding foam to fit a smaller driver into a bigger seat. I'm working on this lemons car and we have 4 big/medium drivers and one twig. I know there is some type of foam that is safe to use but I can't for the life of me find any or do I even know what it is called. If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

edit: I have found stuff called Demon Tweaks and Real Essentials but it is all sold in the UK. I can't seem to find anyone selling it in the US.

Last edited by DmanG281; 07-23-2008 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:59 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts

If you're using a aluminum seat, I'd suggest you look at the type of bead foam kit that I used in my 350Z GT3 racecar. They use the same grade of collapsable beads used in the liners of race helmets. Here's a link to where I purchased my kit: http://www.baldspotsports.com/
Old 07-23-2008, 11:03 AM
DmanG281

Yeah I'm using a Kirkey Intermediate Road Race seat. This stuff looks exactly like what I am looking for.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:01 PM
GrandAm350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is the best stuff to use for a foam seat. One thing to keep in mind is that the more you use it, the better you get. The first time you pour one of these seats, don't expect it to live up to your expectations. It can be difficult. One option to try would be the expanding foam you get from Tap Plastics. The seat won't be as good as a bead seat, but it fills the need. I've had both in a carbon fiber tub Formula Renault. The bead seat was made by a guy who did it for a living and was great. The foam seats weren't as good, but they were 1/20th the cost.

Good luck,
Rich
Old 07-24-2008, 07:21 AM
DmanG281

Originally Posted by GrandAm350
That is the best stuff to use for a foam seat. One thing to keep in mind is that the more you use it, the better you get. The first time you pour one of these seats, don't expect it to live up to your expectations. It can be difficult. One option to try would be the expanding foam you get from Tap Plastics. The seat won't be as good as a bead seat, but it fills the need. I've had both in a carbon fiber tub Formula Renault. The bead seat was made by a guy who did it for a living and was great. The foam seats weren't as good, but they were 1/20th the cost.

Good luck,
Rich
I used to pour fiberglass molds for a living and am pretty confident that I can do this relatively good. I think we may use this on the next car we are building that will actually see sanctioned events. I found some fire retardant foam material that will fit the bill and is less than $75 bucks.

Thanks for both your inputs as I will need this stuff down the road. Right now its for the LeMons car and as such is a bit out of the price range we are aiming for.