Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

"Racing Brake" vs "Power Slot" rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 07:51 PM
six3mike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have slotted Stoptechs on mine and havent had a problem at the track. I use BHP track/street pads also.

Just cus I said that something will happen on my next track day.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:32 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ataru074
I was thinking about using centric premium blanks for the rear and stoptech floating for the front (but I don't know if they make blanks rotors)...
6 lbs less per rotors upfront is still 6lbs
I just got a pair of the Centric non-Brembo rears. Never again will I not have a back-up set of rotors and a few sets of pads. FYI: They weigh 12# each.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:42 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by laze1
I have successfully used Centic rotors for a couple years now with no problems

(HPDE& TT w/Carbotech XP10 or XP12)

I buy them here: http://www.rockauto.com/ They hav e the best prices I have found.
You just saved me 5 bucks per rotor - I owe you a beer or 3. Thanks. How many HPDE events do the Carbotech rear pads last, and have you done any other special things (remove the dust shields, ducting, etc.)?
Old 01-17-2009, 04:45 PM
laze1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will take you up on that Beer anytime/anyplace

Yep, Rockauto.com is great...I was turned on to them from this site, so I have to pass that info on.

Pad wear is hard to quantify. Some tracks eat pads, some don't, and I run several different ones. But Carbotech XP10 FRONTS can last up to 3 events, REARS can last up to 6 events. But I have also cooked a set of fronts in one weekend. The XP12 compound wear out quicker, but stops harder
And I take pads out when they are approx 2/3 worn!

Note: this is running very hard (regular max threshold braking) in Time Trials. HPDE performance will be better.

I have Brembos on my car, with the front dust shields removed, no ducting, and run ATE Blue fluid and some titanium pad backing plates...work fine but can get overheated on a hot day at a hard braking track.

BUT I LUV the CARBOTECHS...stop great and the dust doesn't rot your wheels/paints and even work on the street (not recommended)

BTW: Centric and PowerSlot and Stoptech are the same company...or owned by the same people
http://www.centricparts.com/CENTRIC%...20PRODUCTS.pdf

Originally Posted by scotts300
You just saved me 5 bucks per rotor - I owe you a beer or 3. Thanks. How many HPDE events do the Carbotech rear pads last, and have you done any other special things (remove the dust shields, ducting, etc.)?

Last edited by laze1; 01-17-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:28 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

I will take you up on that Beer anytime/anyplace

Yep, Rockauto.com is great...I was turned on to them from this site, so I have to pass that info on.

Pad wear is hard to quantify. Some tracks eat pads, some don't, and I run several different ones. But Carbotech XP10 FRONTS can last up to 3 events, REARS can last up to 6 events. But I have also cooked a set of fronts in one weekend. The XP12 compound wear out quicker, but stops harder
And I take pads out when they are approx 2/3 worn!

Note: this is running very hard (regular max threshold braking) in Time Trials. HPDE performance will be better.

I have Brembos on my car, with the front dust shields removed, no ducting, and run ATE Blue fluid and some titanium pad backing plates...work fine but can get overheated on a hot day at a hard braking track.

BUT I LUV the CARBOTECHS...stop great and the dust doesn't rot your wheels/paints and even work on the street (not recommended)

BTW: Centric and PowerSlot and Stoptech are the same company...or owned by the same people
http://www.centricparts.com/CENTRIC%...20PRODUCTS.pdf
Beer is good!
I was excited initially when I read that you were getting 6 events from the rears, but then continued on to see that you have Brembos. I've been considering swapping the Brembo rears from our ZR to the track car, but was trying to do due diligence with the stock non-Brembo rears to see if I could get a few events out of the pads. It seems Hawk Blues may buy me some time, and/or Raybestos ST4x. I'll also always have extra rotors on-hand given that I cracked my last set big time at Laguna Seca. We'll see what part gives next!
Old 01-19-2009, 03:15 AM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Beer is good!
I'll also always have extra rotors on-hand given that I cracked my last set big time at Laguna Seca. We'll see what part gives next!
Which ones (brand) cracked on you?
Old 01-19-2009, 07:43 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any rotor will heat check/crack given enough use. Heat checking isn't bad until one of the little cracks is at the rotor edge. Then its time to toss 'em.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:16 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Z1NONLY
I don't know for sure, but given that the original owner put a ST BBK on the front, m $$ is on that they were a ST/Centric rear rotor, but I'm not sure.

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
Any rotor will heat check/crack given enough use. Heat checking isn't bad until one of the little cracks is at the rotor edge. Then its time to toss 'em.
You mean like this? See how the crack runs right along the slot? I'm going to go cheap-style on my future rear rotors and simply run blanks for fifty bucks.
Attached Thumbnails "Racing Brake" vs "Power Slot" rotors?-scotts94z32-laguna-seca1-sm5.jpg  
Old 01-19-2009, 09:39 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't know for sure, but given that the original owner put a ST BBK on the front, m $$ is on that they were a ST/Centric rear rotor, but I'm not sure.

You mean like this? See how the crack runs right along the slot? I'm going to go cheap-style on my future rear rotors and simply run blanks for fifty bucks.
noticed where the crack started.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:17 PM
betamotorsports

Nice...
Old 01-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Z1NONLY

Thanks for all the info. I am getting ready to order a set for the front of my 05 base. (non-brembo).

This is the one, right? (Just want to make sure.)

CENTRIC Part # 12042074
Front; Std Brakes, Vented

$46.89 $0.00 $46.89
Old 01-19-2009, 05:05 PM
laze1

Yep that is the correct part #

see if this discount code will work: it may have expired

Discount on RockAuto Parts!

Thank you for being a www.RockAuto.com customer! To show our appreciation, we have a special discount for you.

Your discount code is:

Using Your Discount Code
Enter the code above in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart. If you are using our traditional HTML catalog, please click the "Apply" button to the right of the field. Your discount will automatically appear, subtracted from your order total.

Originally Posted by Z1NONLY
Thanks for all the info. I am getting ready to order a set for the front of my 05 base. (non-brembo).

This is the one, right? (Just want to make sure.)
Old 01-19-2009, 05:19 PM
Z1NONLY

Yep that is the correct part #

see if this discount code will work: it may have expired

Discount on RockAuto Parts!

Thank you for being a www.RockAuto.com customer! To show our appreciation, we have a special discount for you.

Your discount code is:

Using Your Discount Code
Enter the code above in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart. If you are using our traditional HTML catalog, please click the "Apply" button to the right of the field. Your discount will automatically appear, subtracted from your order total.
Thanks, but I already ordered the things.

It's still a better deal than anything else I have seen.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:54 PM
Z1NONLY

Just got the rotors today, and they look nice with the black coating.

I have a noob question though...

Did they pack these things in some sort of lubricant? These are the first new rotors I have seen "in the box" and I am guessing they did it to avoid corrosion...

But lubricant? On brake rotors?

Last edited by Z1NONLY; 01-23-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:03 PM
betamotorsports

But lubricant? On brake rotors?
Its called Anti-Squeal

Just clean it all off with BrakeKleen.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:52 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
Its called Anti-Squeal

Just clean it all off with BrakeKleen.
or let it go away during pad bed-in.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Mr.Jadkowski

Wow, I'm glad I came across this thread.. I needed to replace my rotors but was looking at Powerslots. I don't really care about slotting (I'm an autocrosser) but OEM rotors are even more than the slotted flavor so I figured I was stuck. It never occurred to me to look for aftermarket blanks. You guys just saved me $250!
Old 01-28-2009, 01:13 PM
Done Deal DR

I have Racing Brake drilled and slotted rotors with EBC Redstuff pads. They are fine for the street where they don't see repeated high braking force and high temps. If you want to track though you will either want to stick with blanks or maybe a quality slotted rotor, otherwise you will have a miserable day at the track.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:51 PM
lowematty

I'm also looking for a good cheap front rotor. I'm pretty confused about the whole battle of slotted or blanks. As some argue why would some cars come with drilled/slotted factory. I just got into autoX and I am a college student so cheap blanks seem good enough for me just wondering if these centric rotors will go well with Hawk HPS pads?
Old 01-28-2009, 03:49 PM
Z1NONLY

Originally Posted by lowematty
...just wondering if these centric rotors will go well with Hawk HPS pads?
That's what I'm doing. I have ran HPS street pads on the stock rotors since my first brake job at 13k miles. I replaced the rear HPS pads at about 36k and the front's are almost ready to be replaced. (at a little over 40k)

For autocross, the stock pads will have better bite. However, the HPS pads bite well enough, last longer, dust less, take a little more heat, and are very gentle on the rotors. (the stock pads chew the rotors quick)

Keep in mind, I am not talking about the HPS+ pads, just the regular HPS street pads.

Quick Reply: "Racing Brake" vs "Power Slot" rotors?