Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

SPLParts 350Z changes for 2009 + first NASA wins!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 04:13 PM
sfarrah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPLParts 350Z changes for 2009 + first NASA wins!

I just finished the first two races for 2009 and wanted to post up some updates...

I won the NASA time trails (TTA class) in Texas for 2008, but for 2009 I am competing only in the door-to-door classes in PTA or ST2. The car is really a PTA class car, but when there are not enough cars competing in that class, I move up and run ST2. Since ST2 has some serious competition like Ferraris, Z06s, FF Cobras, etc., I worked on making a number of improvements to the car for 2009.

The most significant additions I made for this year are the Moton Clubsport 2-way coilovers setup by SPL Parts and a racing wing/splitter setup by Fulcrum Motorsports. Other improvements include the Race Technology datalogger and dash display setup, Stoptech rear big brakes and Enkei RPF1 wheels with Hoosier R6 tires.

The addition of the new racing aero package necessitated a stiffer spring/shock combination. The KTS coilovers served me well for the past number of years but it was time to step to a full race oriented setup. After much deliberation, Motons were my choice. The Clubsports utilize an external reservoir and are double adjustable for rebound and compression.

Kuah @ SPL Parts setup the new coilovers with Swift springs, billet upper mounts, and the SPL rear midlink setup. The new setup was expensive, but in the end totally worth it; the car's handling moved up to a whole new level, allowing me to make up for my relative lack of hp vs. my competition.

I am also happy to sign on Fulcrum Motorsports as my latest sponsor! I had been inspecting their products on several other race cars and after several discussions with them I was able to strike a deal. These guys are serious about their aero parts and travel to all the NASA races to support their customers. After my last race of 08 I towed the car up to their shop for them to install one of their composite wings and a 3 inch front splitter and integrated air dam.

I upgraded the rear brakes to the 2 piston Stoptechs with Hawk HT-10's. Previously the car had a slight tendency to dart under hard braking, but with the new setup the car brakes consistently straight and under control.

The Race Technology DL1 datalooger and DASH2 display will allow me to datalog GPS, g-forces, throttle, etc. Once I start using that data to its full potential, I hope to pick up more lap time by improving my driving. I only wish I had waited a few months to order the setup as Race Technology dropped the price for the combo significantly down to only $1369 at SPL Parts.

Finally, since I damaged a couple of the SSR Comps during the last race in Houston a month or two ago, I ordered a set of 17x10 +15 Enkei RPF1s with fresh Hoosiers (so I can be eligible for Hoosier's contingency program).

Old 04-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Crom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice...
Old 04-02-2009, 04:22 PM
sfarrah

Default Race Results

My last race was held at Motorsports Ranch in Cresson. Unfortunately it rained the entire Friday practice day, and half the day on Saturday, and MSR-C is known to be one of the slickest tracks when wet. Running brand new Hoosiers didn't help me any either. I did the practice and qualifying in the wet and the track was still rather damp for the first race and finally dried out for the second race.

For the Saturday races I finally had some competitors in PTA and won both races. The wins were good for 4 brand new Hoosiers as there was a field of 3 cars. Thank you Hoosier - the tires arrived last week.

Here is the video from the 2nd race Sat, had some close racing action from green to checker:
<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=3706900&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_ title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp ;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=3706900&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_ title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp ;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><br /><a href="http://vimeo.com/3706900">MSR-Cresson March 09 NASA TX race #2</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user786756">Sean Farrah</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.

On Sunday the other PTA competitors switched classes. One to GTS2 and the other to SU. SU had a couple turbocharged miatas plus the S2000 that I had raced against on Sat so I joined that class for Sunday. The first race was cut short due to a nasty wreck between an E46 BMW and a Ferrari and I placed 2nd of 4. The last race was a great battle. I lost a few spots on the start as I'm down on power compared to the cars beside and behind me but was able to get those spots back. There was some great racing action between me, a 355 Ferrari Challenge car, a Z06 Corvette and one of the Turbo miatas. Although I had the faster car, the driver of the miata was able to hold me off for the win giving me another 2nd place finish. This was probably my most exciting race so far.
<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=3709689&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_ title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp ;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=3709689&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_ title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp ;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><br /><a href="http://vimeo.com/3709689">MSR-Cresson March 2009 NASA TX Race #4</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user786756">Sean Farrah</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.

I made a few adjustments to the Motons throughout the weekend but with the weather being uncooperative, I really didn't even begin to really get the car dialed in. But even with the shock dampening settings set to default, the car was extremely well balanced and predictable. Comparing lap times to last year at this track when I ran time trials I was able to shave 3 seconds off my previous best. I was able to run a 1:21.1 in the afternoon race on Saturday and I know the car has more potential if I get the shocks and driver dialed in It's been quite an investment to get the car where it is now, but it's a great feeling to be out there racing competitively with Z06's, 355's, 911's Cobra's, M3's etc. especially knowing I am running much less HP than some of these cars.

I just want to thank Kuah @ SPL Parts for the Motons, Stoptechs, DL1/DASH2, and to thank Neill and Jim at Fulcrum Motorsports for the new wing and splitter.

Last edited by sfarrah; 04-02-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:40 PM
l30thelion

Congratulations on your wins and new setup.

I am thinking of going w/ Hoosiers also, but am weary of getting very little tire life. In general how many weekends or 25minute sessions should I get out of the R6/A6?

Driving style and tire care makes a big difference, so this would be generally speaking.

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Ataru074

Congratulations! you're living something awesome.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome videos Sean! Man it makes me miss the track!
Old 04-03-2009, 05:43 AM
JDSMotoring
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats man...i love your car's setup
Old 04-03-2009, 05:43 AM
sektor 11

I love seeing this kind of stuff. gets me way more excited about the upcoming HPDE events and hopefully I'll be able to build and grow into some competitive classes. Oh, and the front splitter is sick.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:45 AM
laze1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much does the Aero package help in the corners and hurt in the straights?

How long is the Motorsports Ranch track?
Old 04-03-2009, 06:20 AM
Motormouth
Banned

those replaceable metal plates bolted on to the underside of the front splitter: wear plates?
Old 04-03-2009, 10:19 AM
sfarrah

Originally Posted by l30thelion
Congratulations on your wins and new setup.

I am thinking of going w/ Hoosiers also, but am weary of getting very little tire life. In general how many weekends or 25minute sessions should I get out of the R6/A6?
Thanks!
This is my first set of brand new R6's so I'll have to get back to you on the wear. Since much of the last weekend was in the cold and rain, tire wear was reduced compared to most weekends.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:21 AM
sfarrah

Originally Posted by Motormouth
those replaceable metal plates bolted on to the underside of the front splitter: wear plates?
Yes, that's it exactly.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Motormouth
Banned

oh and that rear wing is gigantic and tall. lol
Old 04-03-2009, 11:00 AM
sfarrah

Originally Posted by Motormouth
oh and that rear wing is gigantic and tall. lol
That's actually just a temporary prototype wing they gave me. At the next event I'm supposed to be getting one that is 2 inches more chord and 4 inches wider. I will able to run the new wing at a lower angle and get less drag with the same or more downforce.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:21 AM
sfarrah

Originally Posted by laze1
How much does the Aero package help in the corners and hurt in the straights?

How long is the Motorsports Ranch track?
MSR-Cresson was run in the 1.7mile CCW config for that race. There is also a 3.1 mile config that I've run DE's at, but NASA seems to just use the 1.7 for the race.

It is tough to give any quantifiable gains/losses with the Aero without running back to back sessions with only that one thing changed on the car. The car has noticeably more grip in the turns and the stability is quite impressive. I have much more confidence throwing the car through the high speed stuff. The race at TWS in two weeks will be a great test for the new setup as it's the track I know the best and is also very fast. It would be nice to do some before and after testing sometime to measure it's effects, especially now that I have the DL1 data logger. I could check not only differences in lap times but corner entry and exit speeds, cornering and braking G's and top speed on the straights.

Here is some information taken directly from Fulcrum's website regarding their wing:
Down force Calculations

The table below shows the calculated down force and drag numbers for our 14" wing, with a 6 foot span. The numbers assume clean-air laminar flow, similar to what is achieved by a wing mounted high above the deck-lid with a smooth sloping rear window. Results may vary from car to car.

High speed tracks obviously suffer greater drag penalties. Back on the aerodynamic benefits page, we explained that the Velocity term is cubed in the drag equation. The velocity and cross-sectional area are the two largest terms in the equation. This means that any similar sized vendor's wing will have similarly high drag numbers for high-speeds. Most companies 'fudge' the numbers by giving you high-speed down force and low-speed drag numbers. This table tells all, as we want you to be fully educated:

Old 04-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Motormouth
Banned

is the front splitter's length adjustable?
Old 04-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Very cool videos!
Old 04-03-2009, 02:22 PM
davids
F U StuLax18

Very nice sean!
Old 04-04-2009, 07:13 PM
gunluvS14

great job, congrats
Old 04-05-2009, 09:09 AM
06platinumG

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Your setup looks great, when you changed to the Motons you also changed your springs, what spring rate are you using F/R?

Quick Reply: SPLParts 350Z changes for 2009 + first NASA wins!