Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Rumor: 350Z Classed in Solo2 STR

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 07:56 PM
M1r4cL3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ldstang50
Just heard about this the other day.....personally I'll stick with Bstock, I like the fact all I have to do is buy tires, but NOT changing tires at an event is really nice
Up to this point I've been running B Stock (in a Street Tire class) and I find it limiting. In order to keep the BS PAX index I've been resetting my car to stock specs before the AutoX season. It's a pain in the *** when I want to do a track day w/ some of my BS illegal parts and have to do the wrench work to go back and forth. I don't enjoy wrench work but view it as a necessary evil.

I would like to have a class that sits in between BS and BSP where I can keep my suspension mods on for the track and still be fairly competitive in AutoX. As I've posted before, BSP is the fastest group in my region and I don't have the $$$ or prolly even the talent to compete there.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:36 PM
Chiketkd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1NONLY
If I can get the car to dance on the skinny tires, I will then consider a new set of wheels. I would also try to move toward a 245/45-17 setup that is closer to stock diameter.

-Man these are skinny.
What tires do you currently run?
Old 07-25-2009, 04:43 AM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiketkd
What tires do you currently run?
I normally run 285/40-17 rear and 275/40-17 front. But I just went do two different events (in two weeks) that offered the STU-2 class, so my Z is still sitting on 275/40-17's at all four corners.

I like the 285 / 275 setup more because it levels out the car front to back, but she dances just fine on 275's.

And they are the Kumho XS's.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:42 AM
M1r4cL3

+1 for Kumho XS tires.

I been running squared off 265s on OEM touring wheels and I love how balanced the cars feels. Dancing is a good term for it.

I'm currently tied for 1st place in my local Street Tire class on this set up. The guy i'm currently tied w/ is also on Kumho XS.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:50 AM
AznSky

no RE-11 love?

I'm on 265 RE-11's all around I love them. I also know another Z driver that does very well in his region in BS on RE-11's while everybody else is on R-comps. Z1 will see him in Milwakee next month so we'll see how everybody fairs up against each other
Old 07-25-2009, 07:54 AM
Z1NONLY

Originally Posted by AznSky
no RE-11 love?

I'm on 265 RE-11's all around I love them. I also know another Z driver that does very well in his region in BS on RE-11's while everybody else is on R-comps. Z1 will see him in Milwakee next month so we'll see how everybody fairs up against each other
If the RE-11's came in 255/45-17 and didn't cost an arm and a leg, I would love them for this new class. But then any top tier tire in that size would make me happy. Right now the MX's are the only tires I can find in that size. The MX's are floppy, not as fast as the new stuff, and being discontinued. (IIRC)
Old 07-25-2009, 09:30 AM
M1r4cL3

Originally Posted by AznSky
no RE-11 love?

I refrain from comment on the RE-11s because I've never used 'em. From what I've seen in published reviews they are every bit as good as the competition and uphold the legacy of the RE-01R.

They came out after the AutoX season started in my region so they weren't even an option for me. I usually only buy 1 set of dedicated AutoX tires per season. I may consider giving 'em a try next season, but at $200+ more per set (265/35/18, tire rack) more than the Kumho XS I prolly will bypass. I'll be the first to tell you I'm a cheap bastard and I love bang for my buck.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:34 AM
M1r4cL3

Since it seems that some of u guys are privvy to info before it comes out in FastTrack, please keep us abreast of the lastest news and developments for this class.

I'm highly interested it what is goin on here.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:19 PM
Peak350

Are none of you running Z1's? I can't get any recommendations of another tire locally. People hardly are ok with XS's, say not to waste the money for RE-11's, and just to buy Z1's as its better than sliced bread. They weigh 4 lbs more per tire and have less ultimate grip than an XS, but are said to have a more direct feel (more sharpness).
Old 07-25-2009, 06:28 PM
Z1NONLY

Originally Posted by Peak350
Are none of you running Z1's? I can't get any recommendations of another tire locally. People hardly are ok with XS's, say not to waste the money for RE-11's, and just to buy Z1's as its better than sliced bread. They weigh 4 lbs more per tire and have less ultimate grip than an XS, but are said to have a more direct feel (more sharpness).
I have tried the Z1 star specs. They are great and seem to be a little better (than the XS) when "cold". But before the first run is done, the XS's are up to temp and do better than "up-to-temp" star specs.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:02 PM
christoc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm considering this whole STR thing, not sure I'll want to run on streets again, but I may give it a shot nonetheless.

Looked at an 04 base model this morning that might be a decent candidate. You can change seats right? It has airbag seats, damn thing.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:03 PM
guitarist

Originally Posted by christoc
I'm considering this whole STR thing, not sure I'll want to run on streets again, but I may give it a shot nonetheless.

Looked at an 04 base model this morning that might be a decent candidate. You can change seats right? It has airbag seats, damn thing.
Yep, everything in 14 in the rule book is open, as are all stock allowances.

Cats are held to the ST/STS rule instead of the STX/STU rule though, meaning basically must be OEM type, number and location as opposed to just any replacement cat.

Seats are only good for about 12lb each if you're talking cloth/airbag seats though, since the replacements must be 25lb minimum. Not as cost-effective as a full custom exhaust in terms of weight savings, but definitely a must-do for a max-prep car, even if only for the improved position and bracing/bolstering.

I just got some nice SPL upper front control arms, which are going on the car next week, as my first STR mod. Hoping 3+ degrees of negative camber will improve turn-in and slaloms. Next step is a custom sleeve/spring setup to go over the Koni yellows, but that's 2+ weeks out.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarist

Cats are held to the ST/STS rule instead of the STX/STU rule though, meaning basically must be OEM type, number and location as opposed to just any replacement cat.

Seats are only good for about 12lb each if you're talking cloth/airbag seats though, since the replacements must be 25lb minimum. Not as cost-effective as a full custom exhaust in terms of weight savings, but definitely a must-do for a max-prep car, even if only for the improved position and bracing/bolstering.

I just got some nice SPL upper front control arms, which are going on the car next week, as my first STR mod. Hoping 3+ degrees of negative camber will improve turn-in and slaloms. Next step is a custom sleeve/spring setup to go over the Koni yellows, but that's 2+ weeks out.
So your the one that posted on SCCA forums, right?

I tried replying early on, but every time I tried to cut and paste into my post, explorer would crash on me.

A couple of tips on the sleaves, I ran them with my Koni's to test out 560lbs front springs.

They have a low tollerance for adding very much preload, better to set them and use the shocks really tall threading at the top of the shaft to induce any preload (their ok if you not dealing with more then 1/2" or so).

Do NOT tighten the set screws much at all, otherwise you damage the threads and make future height adjustments even more difficult.

Your using Koni top hat's correct? Since that mean's you have to modify the upper shock mount, what bumpstops did your order?

What are using for a rear spring, Eibach ESS?
Old 08-09-2009, 07:46 AM
guitarist

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
So your the one that posted on SCCA forums, right?

I tried replying early on, but every time I tried to cut and paste into my post, explorer would crash on me.

A couple of tips on the sleaves, I ran them with my Koni's to test out 560lbs front springs.

They have a low tollerance for adding very much preload, better to set them and use the shocks really tall threading at the top of the shaft to induce any preload (their ok if you not dealing with more then 1/2" or so).

Do NOT tighten the set screws much at all, otherwise you damage the threads and make future height adjustments even more difficult.

Your using Koni top hat's correct? Since that mean's you have to modify the upper shock mount, what bumpstops did your order?

What are using for a rear spring, Eibach ESS?
I am the guy from the SCCAForums post.

Good to know about the preload. We haven't worked out exactly what solution we'll be doing for this setup though. I doubt we'll be using Koni tophats, but you never know.

A local mechanic friend who has lots of race experience will be cobbling together a custom setup, so I'm not too worried about it - he says he has several things we can try, and a good idea about what it will take to work.

That said, we'll have to wait until after next week (next pay period lol) to find out about all of that stuff. I'd bet the springs are going to be Eibach, but I don't know about the bumpstops - we're not planning to reduce ride height all that much, so we may get away with the stock ones.

Of course, it will require a lot of testing to determine what is best. Will try to keep everyone posted here in the interest of helping anyone who's considering or already close to a STR setup and get them out running their cars. More Zs autocrossing the better.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:38 AM
Gsedan35

I am the guy from the SCCAForums post.

Good to know about the preload. We haven't worked out exactly what solution we'll be doing for this setup though. I doubt we'll be using Koni tophats, but you never know.

A local mechanic friend who has lots of race experience will be cobbling together a custom setup, so I'm not too worried about it - he says he has several things we can try, and a good idea about what it will take to work.

That said, we'll have to wait until after next week (next pay period lol) to find out about all of that stuff. I'd bet the springs are going to be Eibach, but I don't know about the bumpstops - we're not planning to reduce ride height all that much, so we may get away with the stock ones.

Of course, it will require a lot of testing to determine what is best. Will try to keep everyone posted here in the interest of helping anyone who's considering or already close to a STR setup and get them out running their cars. More Zs autocrossing the better.
Your front option's are to either to use Koni top hat's, which will force you to grind off the collar on the bottom of the upper shock mount that secures the bumpstop/dust shield or you'll have to purchase rather expensive 65mm pillowball upper mounts. You can also do what I did and sold to another Z owner. Make simple 6061 spring seats that slip on the front Koni's and install Tein tapered 90mm-70mm by 250mm tall linear springs that allow you to reuse the oem upper mounts unmodified.

In the rear, I like Untech racing (they did the R&D on the Truechoice coilover setup) find 425lbs to be a pretty good rear rate, you have a instant cheap solution with the oem revised rear springs at 427lbs, you can adjust rear height up to .8" by shaving the rear upper spring seat, or pulling it out altogether for about a 1.2" rear drop (you'll need to install something above the spring to avoid metal to metal contact).

If you have to have a higher rear rate, you can try and calulate how to make a Eibach ESS 5" OD spring work ride height wise.

If you can't live without rear adjustable height, you do have a cost effective way of sourcing a adjustable choice. Simply purchase a front and rear TomsMotorsports sleave coilover setup on ebay for $200 shipped. Toss out the front parts and use the rears, you get a 500lbs rear springs in the kits. You can make a different rear rate choice by simply using picking up some Eibach ESS 5.5"OD springs 9.5" tall. I have the kit, works great.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Gsedan35

Does the following statement cover the suspension modifcation rules for STR?

"Suspension components are unrestricted as long as they use the original attachment points."

Or can you post a link so I can read the SCCA STR 2010 rules myself.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:26 AM
guitarist

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Does the following statement cover the suspension modifcation rules for STR?

"Suspension components are unrestricted as long as they use the original attachment points."

Or can you post a link so I can read the SCCA STR 2010 rules myself.
I don't know where that quote comes from, so I can't comment on its applicability.

The August Fastrack with the revised STR proposal in it can be found here:

http://scca.com/documents/Fastrack/0...k-aug-solo.pdf

but really all it is is a list of the cars that are eligible and the class-specific rules changes from the standard Street Touring (section 14) rules in the rulebook (here: http://cms.scca.com/documents/Solo_R...Solo_Rules.pdf )

The relevant sections re: suspension are 14.5 (shocks) and 14.8 (suspension generally).
Old 08-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Gsedan35

I don't know where that quote comes from, so I can't comment on its applicability.

The August Fastrack with the revised STR proposal in it can be found here:

http://scca.com/documents/Fastrack/0...k-aug-solo.pdf

but really all it is is a list of the cars that are eligible and the class-specific rules changes from the standard Street Touring (section 14) rules in the rulebook (here: http://cms.scca.com/documents/Solo_R...Solo_Rules.pdf )

The relevant sections re: suspension are 14.5 (shocks) and 14.8 (suspension generally).
Excellent, just what I needed.

I see nothing that say's I can't use shortened shocks.

Last edited by Gsedan35; 08-11-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:25 PM
christoc

I'm not going to say you can't use shortened shocks, but in general, the Solo rules should be read as "if it doesn't say you can, you can't".

That being said, in this particular case, I haven't read the rules closely enough yet to tell you which way they lean.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:27 PM
christoc

After reading 14.5 I would say that shortened shocks should be fine, but that's just my interpretation

Quick Reply: Rumor: 350Z Classed in Solo2 STR