Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

loose rear-end

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 08:54 AM
cubic202

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SatchScream
I'm sorry, I lol'd at the title, is that immature?

Originally Posted by dnguyent
Since you purchased the car used with 31k miles, there are a few things you should look into first:

1. Check the condition of tires. Very low or very high tire pressures have very little grip. Also, if the front tires are newer, and the rear tires are old and hard, that will cause the rear to kick out suddenly.

2. Check alignment settings.

3. Check shocks. At 31k miles, they should be fine if they are OEM. Check to see if the springs are OEM. Some aftermarket springs are too stiff, and simply do not work with OEM shocks.

4. Check bearings for play and all the links/connections. Lift the vehicle and try to wiggle the wheel in search for looseness. Take a socket set to all connections and test bolt tightness (do not tighten more, just check to make sure none are loose)

5. Maybe that bump is simply rough/big enough to knock most cars off their intended path. Are you sure you don't get any understeer before oversteer? The bump could knock the front end out first, then the rear end, but you only notice the rear end give away.
Yes, I had a full pre-purchase inspection so apart from the usual wear and tear all looks good. Again I believe the bump is jarring enough to throw my foot of the gas causing a me to lift and induce over-steer as well as upset the suspension.

Originally Posted by killa.beez33
+1
You beat me to it!
I think he went to one serious prison, and was pimped the ffffuuuuuuuuukkk out.

but I mean if you're a female, then no problem... Just sucks that you have a loose rear end. Does that mean diarrhea just falls out like a water fall?
err okay, apparently you know a thing or two about this. Thanks for the feed back...I think...

Originally Posted by nomyth46
what kind psi are you running in the rear tires?........also is it getting loose in any other turns or is it just that one?...........because you could be miss diagnosing a push............alot of people think that a car is loose just because the rear-end is coming around but most of the time it ends up being a bad result of a push. Alot of times when making the first cut into a turn and trying to get a tight car to pivot down to the apex of the corner most drivers will try to steer the car down to the apex and jack the mess out of the steering wheel and by the time the rear tires break loose (via weight transfer, bump or whatever) the steering wheel is still jacked and the rear comes around on them.............however if its a true loose situation then i would just make a air psi adjustment to start with because if you start with big changes you'll be out in left field all alone before you know it!!!!
I'll play with the PSI. Thanks.

Originally Posted by davidv
Well said.

Tires. Some tires are skittish (best word I can think of). Uneven pavement or concrete expansion joints they seen to be "searching" for a flat spot to regain lost traction. Natural tendency is to back off the throttle. Of course doing so reduces rear tire torque which may exaggerate the condition.
Yup agree.

Originally Posted by Z1NONLY
It's been years since my 05 base was stock.

I don't remember having the problem you are describing, but I try to avoid hitting large bumps when the car is near the edge of traction. (I try to settle the car as best I can before hitting such things, if I can't avoid them altogether.)

There was (is) one "suprise" bump in a very bad spot on hwy28 near Fontana Village at ZdayZ. It did unsettle my Z when in stock form, but I think it upset most cars.
Noted thanks
Old 02-12-2010, 09:56 AM
CORNELL

any updates on whats going on? is the car just naturally trying to find a flat spot for traction? my case was not involving bumps, but uneven surfaces or concrete joints(my V2 kit and lowered stance has to avoid bumps). hopefully soon and when the weather clears i will have new parts and a better idea of what this is
Old 02-12-2010, 10:20 AM
cubic202

Originally Posted by CORNELL
any updates on whats going on? is the car just naturally trying to find a flat spot for traction? my case was not involving bumps, but uneven surfaces or concrete joints(my V2 kit and lowered stance has to avoid bumps). hopefully soon and when the weather clears i will have new parts and a better idea of what this is
No not yet I have to hit that same patch of road. I'm going to try it out on Saturday and report back. My goal is to keep my foot on the gas and increase speed through the radius. I'll be looking to see if the bump is knocking my foot to induce lift and then oversteer or if the suspension rebound is causing the rear end to break away.