Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Unknown problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 03:25 PM
Sunset350ZR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Unknown problem

I have an 06 350ZR and don't quite know what the problem is but before I take it to shop just thought I'd ask. When I take off from a start most noticeable when easy pull offs, it feels like the drivetrain is loose and shifts.toward the rear. It feels like the spare is loose but its not. Car seems to run fine.

Last year I chaged to a 3.9 gears and all the corresponding bushings from Whiteline. It has full header back exhaust mods as well. If anyone has an idea where to start looking I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:00 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Not sure what the "problem" is from your "loose" description. Have you jacked up the car, supported it with jack stands and checked all the driveline fasteners? That's where I'd start before I paid someone else to look at it.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:51 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Look at the whiteline bushing, they have been failing
Old 09-18-2015, 07:30 PM
Sunset350ZR

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Look at the whiteline bushing, they have been failing
Yeah I will be jacking it up tomorrow once I get home. Anyway to check bushings beside them looking torn. As for description, it sounds more like something heavy in trunk shifting. I say sounds as you can feel it but sound is more pronounced than feel. All I know at this point. Will report more after tomorrow's inspection.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:43 AM
Zmandriving

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say bushing is the issue but check the engine and trans mounts.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:23 PM
Sunset350ZR

Well after climbing under the car, I could feel nor see anything abnormal. I will tighten everything possible just to make sure. Otherwise will continue to try to diagnose problem.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:28 PM
Sunset350ZR

As stated above when I got under car everything seems tight, and definitely nothing seems torn or leaking from what I see and can touch. As car is driven.0 their is a thunk when you pull car from a resting position as you accelerate. About 9 months ago I changed out rear end going to the 3.9 and had whiteline rear dif bushings installed. If indeed it is these bushings that have failed. What polyeurathane bushings do you suggest. The car felt awesome until thunking started and really on my nerves now.Also while I am under there I will be switching out sway bar links. Different noise but I know what that noe is. Any suggestion on endlinks While we are under there.

Thanks
Old 10-26-2015, 05:05 PM
Stolly08

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunset350ZR
As stated above when I got under car everything seems tight, and definitely nothing seems torn or leaking from what I see and can touch. As car is driven.0 their is a thunk when you pull car from a resting position as you accelerate. About 9 months ago I changed out rear end going to the 3.9 and had whiteline rear dif bushings installed. If indeed it is these bushings that have failed. What polyeurathane bushings do you suggest. The car felt awesome until thunking started and really on my nerves now.Also while I am under there I will be switching out sway bar links. Different noise but I know what that noe is. Any suggestion on endlinks While we are under there.

Thanks
The whiteline shouldn't fail for years unless something was loose or installed incorrectly. They are very good bushings.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:13 PM
Sunset350ZR

That truly is what I would think as well but thunk still seems to be coming from behind me. In case it was a tranny mount or engine mount that is the issue, how would I diagnose problem in either?
Old 10-26-2015, 07:19 PM
Stolly08

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunset350ZR
That truly is what I would think as well but thunk still seems to be coming from behind me. In case it was a tranny mount or engine mount that is the issue, how would I diagnose problem in either?
Well they are kind of hard to see you would probably need to take the wheel off and peak through the side/bottom of the wheel well. Trans I believe is that big black u shaped channel thing other than the bolts that hold them together.
Is the nut still tight on the rear end stud that is on the rear diff cover that goes thru the subframe?
Old 11-15-2015, 05:45 AM
Sunset350ZR

Ok finally go car up on a proper lift that I felt secure being under with car running. Motor mounts moved hardly at all and the same for the trans mount. Then we went back to my less than a year installed whiteline rear diff bushings and the bushing on the right side of diff moves up 3/4 to an inch every time you accelerate in first and you hear the clunk. There is no evidence of the bushing tearing but the movement and noise is there. So my question is can these be installed wrong? Everything looks correct. Or is this a simple failure of the bushings. All bushing nuts are tight.