Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

ESP G35 Suspension Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:07 AM
senorcole86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESP G35 Suspension Questions

I apologize if this is covered elsewhere. I searched but couldn't find much specific information.

I'm looking to build an ESP G35 Coupe, and wasn't sure what I could do with the suspension.

Here's what I'm looking for:

1) adjustable ride height on front and rear
2) adjustable damping (2-way if I can find it)
3) Stiffer, linear springs (650/500 maybe?)
4) Streetable. I can deal with a good deal of discomfort, so this constraint can be stretched quite a bit.

I was going to source the shocks from Koni and the springs from Hyper Coil. However, I have not heard good things about either the SA or TCKline DA Konis. So I'm open to suggestions. I was also looking at the Cusco Zero 2's. Complete kit, so that's nice. I've heard decent things about it.

Springs: In order to stay in street prepared, I have to use the factory shock and springs mounting locations, so no true coilovers for the rear. I could still use threaded shock bodies in the front, but not rear. Does anybody make adjustable spring perches? I've seen at least one other person who says they run adjustable spring perches in the rear of their Z, but I cannot find them anywhere. Any help here would be great.

Shocks: What kind of shocks are the BSP 350z guys running? What have you guys found that works? Do I need to make any modifications to the shock mounts or bumpstops if I lower the car? I'm trying to put together a parts list, so please, be as specific as possible.

Last edited by senorcole86; 03-16-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:07 PM
guitarist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by senorcole86
I apologize if this is covered elsewhere. I searched but couldn't find much specific information.

I'm looking to build an ESP G35 Coupe, and wasn't sure what I could do with the suspension.

Here's what I'm looking for:

1) adjustable ride height on front and rear
2) adjustable damping (2-way if I can find it)
3) Stiffer, linear springs (650/500 maybe?)
4) Streetable. I can deal with a good deal of discomfort, so this constraint can be stretched quite a bit.

I was going to source the shocks from Koni and the springs from Hyper Coil. However, I have not heard good things about either the SA or TCKline DA Konis. So I'm open to suggestions. I was also looking at the Cusco Zero 2's. Complete kit, so that's nice. I've heard decent things about it.

Springs: In order to stay in street prepared, I have to use the factory shock and springs mounting locations, so no true coilovers for the rear. I could still use threaded shock bodies in the front, but not rear. Does anybody make adjustable spring perches? I've seen at least one other person who says they run adjustable spring perches in the rear of their Z, but I cannot find them anywhere. Any help here would be great.

Shocks: What kind of shocks are the BSP 350z guys running? What have you guys found that works? Do I need to make any modifications to the shock mounts or bumpstops if I lower the car? I'm trying to put together a parts list, so please, be as specific as possible.
You should look at Truechoice Koni Racing. I have a set of their Phase 4 DAs on the front of my car, plus their adjustable spring perches (rear) and coilovers (front) with 650/500 springs front/rear with Koni yellows on the back. Truechoice should have all of this ready to go, assuming it's the same basic stuff as on the Z. Your spring rates may need to be a bit different due to the slightly different geometry on the G (the rear in particular, iirc), but the perches/sleeves ought to work.

My car handles great, doesn't ride too rough on the road, and was quick enough to get me a 2nd place trophy in STR at the Blytheville Tri-State tour last year (though I wouldn't have if the other S2K driver had been able to run the first day). Still, it's a balanced, good-handling setup--the Z just isn't the right car for STR.

I bought mine used, but even new the Truechoice stuff doesn't seem overpriced at all, imo. I'm not associated with them in any way, btw--just really like their product.

Last edited by guitarist; 03-16-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:03 PM
INTIMAZY

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was also looking at the Cusco Zero 2's. Complete kit, so that's nice. I've heard decent things about it.
Can't say anything bad about them. This is my 2nd year on them in AutoX. They worked GREAT in BSP despite lack of funds for proper tires. (what was Nissan thinking with 225s up front on a 3200+ pound car?!?)
This season (well, next Saturday really) I'll be in SM2 with R-comp 285's so we will see how they work out.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:30 PM
06platinumG

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

As far as springs and dampners you can get any of the aftermarket coilovers that are offered with the rear springs in the OEM locations and they come with ajustable rear spring perches. I run Zeal coilovers with 14k front and 12K rear springs

Last edited by 06platinumG; 03-19-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:55 AM
hippie

Megan has adjustable rear spring perches that mount in the stock locations. You can buy just their rear perches and rear springs as a kit. (#450 springs, I think)

As for shocks, I run Ohlins LMJ shocks that were adapted for my Z and I think the Z that finished very well in '08 ran Teins.

Last edited by hippie; 03-20-2010 at 05:57 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:01 AM
senorcole86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been in touch with a gentleman with Truechoice Koni Racing services. So far, this looks like the winner. Pretty much everything I was looking for in a single kit. I won't have to shop around for seperate parts. It has some extensive R&D behind it through unitech racing. Sounds pretty good. Been reading up on it around these forums, looks great. I wish it wasn't $3k.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:36 AM
guitarist

Been in touch with a gentleman with Truechoice Koni Racing services. So far, this looks like the winner. Pretty much everything I was looking for in a single kit. I won't have to shop around for seperate parts. It has some extensive R&D behind it through unitech racing. Sounds pretty good. Been reading up on it around these forums, looks great. I wish it wasn't $3k.
$3K is a big chunk of change, to be sure, but a lot of the JDM/tuner kits run that high without the R&D behind them or Truechoice's warranty/expertise (they are one of a handful of Koni-authorized rebuilders in the U.S.). To get anything that performs much better, you're looking at jumping up to $5-10k for Ohlins, Penske, etc.

When you look at it like that, it's pretty reasonable, really. But $3K is still a lot of dosh to pony up for us mere mortals.