Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia
View Poll Results: Are you interested in a weld in roll cage kit other than what's out there already?
Yes
77.78%
No
22.22%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Roll Cage Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Lightning Guy

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dgemotorsports
Is there any interest in a weld in roll cage kit other than what's already out there? I have pictures of the cage I designed but don't want to post them cause I'm not trying to sell them at the moment and I don't want my post deleted cause I'm not a site sponsor, simply gauging market interest.
I'm shopping right now for one. Currently have a Kirk Bolt in 4 point, but I'm at the point where I need a cage. Since I genrally have a student in the car I would like to opt for nascar bars on both sides. I also would like to have the dash bar integrated into the cage. ( I have no dash and only half a dash bar now, just enough to hold the steering wheel out of my lap )
Old 04-07-2010, 08:01 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Lightning Guy
I'm shopping right now for one. Currently have a Kirk Bolt in 4 point, but I'm at the point where I need a cage. Since I genrally have a student in the car I would like to opt for nascar bars on both sides. I also would like to have the dash bar integrated into the cage. ( I have no dash and only half a dash bar now, just enough to hold the steering wheel out of my lap )
If you sell your kirk........let me know.....I may be interested .
Old 04-07-2010, 08:28 PM
dgemotorsports

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like the majority of the interest is in a 4 point roll bar. If there is anyone interested in the 8 point design I already have, send me a pm and I will communicate with you through pm's. FYI The kit that I have designed at the moment is for a full on race car that has been totally gutted so it probably won't work with a car that has interior.

To design a 4 point that will work with interior would require someone willing to leave their car with me for a short period of time get dimensions and bend the prototype. This person would get a discount on the install and the roll bar for the use of their car.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:18 AM
Lightning Guy

Hey Dave, here is where my interior sits now and has been this way way for ~2 years.
Attached Thumbnails Roll Cage Kit-dash_1.jpg   Roll Cage Kit-dash_2.jpg  
Old 04-08-2010, 06:29 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I personally think you need the 72 point roll cage installed
Old 04-08-2010, 08:35 AM
Lightning Guy

Originally Posted by mhoward1
I personally think you need the 72 point roll cage installed
You just want me slower than you! Hater
Old 04-08-2010, 08:37 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

100 point or bust.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:36 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So is the price of the actual cage fairly trivial compared to the install labor? Whats typical install price of a 8 point NHRA 8.5sec+ cage? or even the 4 point?
Old 04-08-2010, 10:20 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stack
Sorry, can't be done

You guys realize the main difference between a harness bar that is functional and a 4-point roll bar that is safe, is the main hoop... right?

I'd venture a guess that it would actually be EASIER to build a 4-point roll bar w/ integrated harness bar. Would a harness bar sell better? Probably. Is it the right product to sell? In my opinion, no.
Hey Dave, here is where my interior sits now and has been this way way for ~2 years.
Off topic, but could you send me a few more pics of the interior of your car? I'm curious to see what else I can realistically remove, and will likely ask a few questions about stuff. Thanks!
Old 04-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Lightning Guy

Originally Posted by scotts300
Off topic, but could you send me a few more pics of the interior of your car? I'm curious to see what else I can realistically remove, and will likely ask a few questions about stuff. Thanks!
Sure, I'm still doing some house keeping on the wiring. I basically started unplugging things about two years ago, and kept driving the car. NOw that the stuff has been out for so lng and it still works, I started rewiring the chasis harness to clean it up and also relocate things where I WANTED them.

Such as, the VDC button, Gas cap release, and OBDII port now reside where the heated seat buttons would be on an equiped car. The multi use amp (White box behind the HVAC controls) now resides behind the ECU. I had to extend the harness for the triple meters to mount them where they now live. I've pulled about 10 to 15 pounds of wire out, and I'm not done yet.

Give me about another week and I'll snap more pics, after a fresh coat of krylon
Old 04-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Lightning Guy

Originally Posted by str8dum1
So is the price of the actual cage fairly trivial compared to the install labor? Whats typical install price of a 8 point NHRA 8.5sec+ cage? or even the 4 point?
I just emailed our club cage sponsor to see what he charges for a full cage + install.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:29 PM
dgemotorsports

Installation time will really vary depending on the person but I would estimate about 20-25 hrs for installation time.

Lightning Guy, have you removed the factory rear shock tower brace? Post some pics of the rear hatch area.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Lightning Guy

Installation time will really vary depending on the person but I would estimate about 20-25 hrs for installation time.

Lightning Guy, have you removed the factory rear shock tower brace? Post some pics of the rear hatch area.
I was planning on it, talking to the Nissan Engineers it is not a shock brace as much as it is a Hatch hole support. That is a huge hole to try and keep stable and from twisting. I had planned on cutting out the rear brace and X-bracing the rear hatch hole. There are some nice solid pieces of metal in each corner to bolt/weld to.

Car is full of Krylon dust at the moment, as soon as I chock down this beer and lets the cloud settle I'll snap a pick, it is not that exiciting, but you asked for it.

Tonight's project, battery shutoof switch and relocate the Braile.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:14 PM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Tonight's project, battery shutoof switch and relocate the Braile.
Braille??!!!

Blind people are driving your car?

As far as you being faster than me, everyone is faster than me at the moment.

But hopefully I'll be back for the May 15th event.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Lightning Guy

here ya go Dave
Attached Thumbnails Roll Cage Kit-hatch_1.jpg   Roll Cage Kit-hatch_2.jpg   Roll Cage Kit-hatch_3.jpg  
Old 04-09-2010, 06:43 AM
dgemotorsports

Looks like you can still remove some weight by removing all of the unnecessary sheet metal in the rear of the car. I'll post some pics of what we removed when I get our car back from the paint shop.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:46 AM
dgemotorsports

Sure, I'm still doing some house keeping on the wiring. I basically started unplugging things about two years ago, and kept driving the car. NOw that the stuff has been out for so lng and it still works, I started rewiring the chasis harness to clean it up and also relocate things where I WANTED them.

Such as, the VDC button, Gas cap release, and OBDII port now reside where the heated seat buttons would be on an equiped car. The multi use amp (White box behind the HVAC controls) now resides behind the ECU. I had to extend the harness for the triple meters to mount them where they now live. I've pulled about 10 to 15 pounds of wire out, and I'm not done yet.

Give me about another week and I'll snap more pics, after a fresh coat of krylon
Take your time and be careful what you remove. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:09 AM
Lightning Guy

Looks like you can still remove some weight by removing all of the unnecessary sheet metal in the rear of the car. I'll post some pics of what we removed when I get our car back from the paint shop.
Yeah I just paid off the car, everything that has been removed at this point could have been put back (carefully). I'm ready to get serious and shed ore wieght, I have a goal of 2600 pounds plus driver.

Take your time and be careful what you remove. Don't ask me how I know.
Dude, preaching to the choir, don't ask don't tell There is more that I could strip out, just not worth the risk at this point. I also got tired of all of the idiot lights in the dash, so I grounded out the ones I could (airbag and seat belt) but the TPS, and brake (couldn't find the wire) I just pulled the clutster apart and put black tape of the LEDs.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:51 AM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

I basically started unplugging things about two years ago, and kept driving the car. :

You might want to keep the factory temp gauge in tact. I'm just saying...
Old 04-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Lightning Guy

Originally Posted by ADMAN
You might want to keep the factory temp gauge in tact. I'm just saying...
dude, that wsn't my car

Quick Reply: Roll Cage Kit