Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

New shocks and tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Shamu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New shocks and tires

Im trying to go with very mild performance enhancements for my wifes 2007 350 Z roadster . Our Z has 35000 miles and shocks feel tired to me. Car bounces alot, bumps seem to crash into car, handling is a little squirrely.

I'm thinking of just going with Bilstein HD's. Are they valved OK for stock springs? Are they any better than the stock shocks? Car runs up and down bumpy mountain roads everyday so I dont want to lower car and it needs some suspension travel but I'm hoping Bilstiens will hold the car a little more straight in the turns.

Also slapping a set of new Yoko ADVAN Neova AD08 on the car.

Any other goodies I should think of for suspension since I'm pulling shocks off? Think more tarmac rally car suspension setup than true track setup.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:09 PM
guitarist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shamu
Im trying to go with very mild performance enhancements for my wifes 2007 350 Z roadster . Our Z has 35000 miles and shocks feel tired to me. Car bounces alot, bumps seem to crash into car, handling is a little squirrely.

I'm thinking of just going with Bilstein HD's. Are they valved OK for stock springs? Are they any better than the stock shocks? Car runs up and down bumpy mountain roads everyday so I dont want to lower car and it needs some suspension travel but I'm hoping Bilstiens will hold the car a little more straight in the turns.

Also slapping a set of new Yoko ADVAN Neova AD08 on the car.

Any other goodies I should think of for suspension since I'm pulling shocks off? Think more tarmac rally car suspension setup than true track setup.
I'm a big fan of plain ol' Koni Sports (aka Yellows). They're valved to work with stock or near-stock spring rates, and you can turn them down to fairly soft. When I put mine on I set them to the middle just to get a feel for them, and the car rode quite a bit better than stock. More comfortable, plenty of control. Don't know how they compare in price to the Bilsteins, but a set of Sports should run ~$700 shipped or so. Very reasonable for the upgrade.

The AD08s are very good tires, to be sure, but at ~$280 per last time I checked, they're pretty pricey. Hard to beat for the combo of outright grip and fair comfort, but if you just want the grip, Hankook RS3s, Kumho XS and Dunlop Star Specs are all good alternatives. Of the three, I'd probably pick the Dunlops for a DD, since they're very good in the wet and seem to last a little longer than the other two. Just some options to consider if you don't want to fork over $1K+ for a set.

One other thing you might look at if you have 18" wheels is getting a set of 17s with slightly taller tires. They'll be a bit more protected from bending/breaking if you have really gnarly roads, and the taller sidewall will take some of the shock and vibration out of the ride.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:40 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Bilstein makes a quality damper. Believe this is a gas damper. You will be happy with the ride.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:12 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the Bilsteins are nice, though the Koni gives you more flexibility and adjustability

should also examine the integrity of the bushings (front control arm inner/outer), compression rod bushings and endlinks front/rear. If your shocks are in that sort of state of mis-performance, these other items very well may be compromised as well, as they are all directly related to one another
Old 09-14-2010, 06:21 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Both our wives have 07' ZRs! Must be a CA thing (we're here on the peninsula). Anyway, one of the best decisions I made with her car was sway bars. I just bought springs for it as well, and I put great tires (Bridgestone RE050A Pole Position) on it not too long ago.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Shamu

Originally Posted by scotts300
Both our wives have 07' ZRs! Must be a CA thing (we're here on the peninsula). Anyway, one of the best decisions I made with her car was sway bars. I just bought springs for it as well, and I put great tires (Bridgestone RE050A Pole Position) on it not too long ago.
Yeah I was thinking sways as well. Which swaybars did you go with? I went with the Bilsteins and will install this weekend. I found the Yokos for close to $200 a tire with 40 rebate. About the same as Dunlop Star Specs. Our car came with those RE050A from factory - excellent tire. Very quite too.

Last edited by Shamu; 09-14-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:44 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Yeah I was thinking sways as well. Which swaybars did you go with? I went with the Bilsteins and will install this weekend. I found the Yokos for close to $200 a tire with 40 rebate. About the same as Dunlop Star Specs. Our car came with those RE050A from factory - excellent tire. Very quite too.
They're the Hotchkis sway bars. The Pole Position version of the RE050A is even better! The Yokos and Star Specs are great as well.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:08 AM
Shamu

Originally Posted by scotts300
They're the Hotchkis sway bars. The Pole Position version of the RE050A is even better! The Yokos and Star Specs are great as well.

Thanks! I will put those sways on my to do list. I have Star Specs on the car now and have liked them. I just wanted to try the Yoko's and found a price similar so we will see. The Dunlop D Star Specs used to be the slam dunk until huge price increases. Biggest issue I find with 350 Z is that suspension isnt very forgiving. My 350Z rides rougher than my Boxster race car. Boxsters have far more compliant suspension but I do love the at limit handling of the Z much better than the Porsche. I can hang tail of the Z out at will at high speeds. Never forget test driving it from Stevens Creek Nissan and drifting it on an empty two lane onramp to 280. My wife was funny she said I want this car! I was drifting it at Infineon out of T6 and T7 too and was just amazed at how stable the car is with tail hung out.. There is just something about the tail out set these things take in turns that is very fun! I also was instructing at an AX school in her car and when I got to skidpad I could keep the Z in steady state drift. I had people asking me for rides after that! These Z cars are a blast. Wish I got more chances to drive it but she is awfully possessive and she knows I will abuse the car. I'm actually considering a 370Z for my daily driver but its competing with a Cayman S . I need to go down and drive the 370 to see what I think. Was thinking Nismo might be a nice car to own and they are much less than a Cayman.

Last edited by Shamu; 09-15-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:04 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Thanks! I will put those sways on my to do list. I have Star Specs on the car now and have liked them. I just wanted to try the Yoko's and found a price similar so we will see. The Dunlop D Star Specs used to be the slam dunk until huge price increases. Biggest issue I find with 350 Z is that suspension isnt very forgiving. My 350Z rides rougher than my Boxster race car. Boxsters have far more compliant suspension but I do love the at limit handling of the Z much better than the Porsche. I can hang tail of the Z out at will at high speeds. Never forget test driving it from Stevens Creek Nissan and drifting it on an empty two lane onramp to 280. My wife was funny she said I want this car! I was drifting it at Infineon out of T6 and T7 too and was just amazed at how stable the car is with tail hung out.. There is just something about the tail out set these things take in turns that is very fun! I also was instructing at an AX school in her car and when I got to skidpad I could keep the Z in steady state drift. I had people asking me for rides after that! These Z cars are a blast. Wish I got more chances to drive it but she is awfully possessive and she knows I will abuse the car. I'm actually considering a 370Z for my daily driver but its competing with a Cayman S . I need to go down and drive the 370 to see what I think. Was thinking Nismo might be a nice car to own and they are much less than a Cayman.
It sure is a fun car.

Go for a lightly-used NISMO 370, and save that depreciation hit. They're out there for $30k.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Zedhead07

Sorry to bring back from the dead. What did you end up going with? Shock? Sway bars? My wife too has a 07 roadster and am looking for some suspension upgrage without lowering the ride. Thinking either shocks or swaybars.