Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

serious race prepped build and i need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 12:54 PM
racerbob4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have the silver 350Z in T3 with yellow lettering.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:13 PM
bretthawkins

that race was a good example of why i don't want to race t3. on that track a 350z wasn't competitive against the racelabz s2000s. i just dont want to race in a class where the track determines the outcome of the race depending on whether it is a curvier track or a straighter track.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:30 PM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

BC racing has a nice set of coilovers for the 350z (affordable), wilwoods are nice but under extreme braking I would prefer a used stoptech set over wilwoods anyday of the week.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:44 PM
racerbob4

Originally Posted by bretthawkins
that race was a good example of why i don't want to race t3. on that track a 350z wasn't competitive against the racelabz s2000s. i just dont want to race in a class where the track determines the outcome of the race depending on whether it is a curvier track or a straighter track.

You just don't have a clue do you? SCCA has a group of involved member/racers (DRB) who determine what the rules will be and who try their best to equalize cars in all of the classes and last year they didn't get several cars very equal, especially the 350Z in T3 or T2. So they made some changes for 2011 and took off a fair amount of required weight in our 350Z and added a little to the Honda S2000 plus they also got a restrictor plate to slow them down. They are almost equal with the Honda being just a little more competitive.

Different tracks do allow different configurations (front wheel or rear wheel drive is one) to favor one car over another in a dry race or even more in a wet race but we race on many tracks and it sort of equals out over the season. You also have to take in consideration driver ability, tires, and the suspension and motor or computer development. If you run STO its going to be fun watching you run against the V10 Viper and V8 fully developed Corvettes.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:59 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by 97supratt
BC racing has a nice set of coilovers for the 350z (affordable), wilwoods are nice but under extreme braking I would prefer a used stoptech set over wilwoods anyday of the week.
I would take the money you save with buying Wilwood brakes and use that for quality coilovers. I ran the past couple years on BC Coilovers and they suck, i can't say anything bad about my wilwood brakes.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:46 AM
bretthawkins

Racerbob

Your right I didn't have a clue. I have not read the touring classes rules since I decided against racinf in those classes. I did not mean to offend you if I did and I wasn't bashing your car. I just didn't think it was fair to be required to build to those specs when it was not equal. After you posted I went back through the rules and t3 does look more equal but I could not see where T2 had changed. The problem still exists though that I am too far along and too far below the minimum weight for both. I'm not trying to be difficult but why would you build a 350z for any class of racing if you doubted its competitiveness against higher class cars. It seemed to me like the m3 was pretty competitive and it is a similar platform to a 350z. I know I am not an expert with sccas happenings but atleast I am trying to get involved.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:57 AM
scardeal

You could add ballast, and make the ballast work for you...
Old 04-20-2011, 09:17 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
I would take the money you save with buying Wilwood brakes and use that for quality coilovers. I ran the past couple years on BC Coilovers and they suck, i can't say anything bad about my wilwood brakes.
I agree, but the OP wanted to spend $1500. Wilwoods need a rebuild quite often, if you haven't rebuilt then yet, you will soon. Stoptechs are a better design, bigger calipers, plus bigger pistons & nicer quality rotors.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:20 PM
laze1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, come to a NASA or SCCA race and hang out some...you will learn a great deal.

If you can make it to CMP Apr 30-Apr1, you can hang out with me and another guy racing a PTB 350Z...come on down...

http://nasa-se.com/2011Apr30.php

JE

Last edited by laze1; 04-20-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:40 PM
bretthawkins

Originally Posted by laze1
OP, come to a NASA or SCCA race and hang out some...you will learn a great deal.

If you can make it to CMP Apr 30-Apr1, you can hang out with me and another guy racing a PTB 350Z...come on down...

http://nasa-se.com/2011Apr30.php

JE
Yeah that would be awesome. That's only three hundred miles away aswell. What color is your car if you don't mind me askiing so I can find you in the paddock
Old 04-20-2011, 06:46 PM
bretthawkins

Originally Posted by 97supratt
I agree, but the OP wanted to spend $1500. Wilwoods need a rebuild quite often, if you haven't rebuilt then yet, you will soon. Stoptechs are a better design, bigger calipers, plus bigger pistons & nicer quality rotors.
I have discovered that's not really acheivable unless I stick with the brembo upgrade so I am just trying to decide if it is worth it to shell out for the bbk now or get the brembos now and put more towards other parts and wait until I have more cash for the bbk
Old 04-21-2011, 03:51 AM
laze1

I will be in the Garage..Silver #176

Originally Posted by bretthawkins
Yeah that would be awesome. That's only three hundred miles away aswell. What color is your car if you don't mind me askiing so I can find you in the paddock
Old 04-21-2011, 04:25 AM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Laze, Racing against Mike Powers?
Old 04-21-2011, 04:30 AM
laze1

Mike is not driving right now, he is working with NASA-SE in timing @ Scoring...but his buddy John Davidson who owns the car they shared is racing this weekend.

Originally Posted by ThreeFiveZero Z
Laze, Racing against Mike Powers?
Old 04-22-2011, 12:43 PM
bretthawkins

Originally Posted by laze1
I will be in the Garage..Silver #176

Alright man I booked a room. Ill see you there.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:29 PM
laze1

Cool! see you there.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:57 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To the OP - what is your experience level that you feel the need for coilovers that offer adjustable compression and rebound? Do you have the datalogging equipment necessary to know what your adjustments are doing? Kind of a moot point anyway, as such coilovers start in the low $2k's, and even those leave a lot to be desired for a truly competive setup.

Personally, I'd start with Konis and NISMO race springs, change the bushings you're allowed to under class rules to solid SPL's, and go from there. Truly motorsport-worthy coilovers have a much higher entry point than your budget allows (double it, and you'll be closer to the ballpark)

Remember...all the parts in the world do not add up to a quick, let alone competitive car.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 04-22-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:01 PM
bretthawkins

Laze do you need me to bring any tools or my gloves or a floor jack or something?
Old 04-22-2011, 02:54 PM
laze1

nope, don't need anything...I carry it all with me, but thnx anyways...just come and hang out a look at race cars and see what a real race weekend entails. It normally is 45 mins of glory and 24 hours of hanging out BSing with other racers making excuses when we are not faster
...if things go well which they normally do.

I do ALL my prep work in the shop, and the car is race ready when I get to the track and roll it off the trailer. However, It will be very evident to you that not everyone does it that way....I call them the "Thrashers"...

Having said this I will now have weekend from Hell!

Note: My screen name is Laze1, and I am! and did I tell you I am a 57 yr old Grand Father?

Last edited by laze1; 04-22-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:49 AM
bretthawkins

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
To the OP - what is your experience level that you feel the need for coilovers that offer adjustable compression and rebound? Do you have the datalogging equipment necessary to know what your adjustments are doing? Kind of a moot point anyway, as such coilovers start in the low $2k's, and even those leave a lot to be desired for a truly competive setup.

Personally, I'd start with Konis and NISMO race springs, change the bushings you're allowed to under class rules to solid SPL's, and go from there. Truly motorsport-worthy coilovers have a much higher entry point than your budget allows (double it, and you'll be closer to the ballpark)

Remember...all the parts in the world do not add up to a quick, let alone competitive car.
i've already discovered its going to be way more than i thought it would be and i am just figuring it would be better to go ahead and have a really good setup to keep from rebuying everything again later. somebody has offered me a set of kw v3's for a reasonable price that i am thinking of going with though.

Quick Reply: serious race prepped build and i need some advice.