Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Cipher Auto Racng Seat?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 09:48 AM
IslandZavage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cipher Auto Racng Seat?!?!

Anyone use these seats? I'm looking for a set and a friend told me to check out these seats. My friend doesn't track his car so i can only take his word on them so far. The price is cheaper than the norm and I see from other forums it has great reviews, but i didn't come across any track reviews with these seats. The price is really attractive but not if they aren't track worthy.

http://www.cipherauto.com/Racing-Seats/Cipher-Auto
Old 09-06-2011, 04:16 AM
Lightning Guy

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I do not see where they are SFI certified. Unless you are just looking for an aftermarket seat for looks, I would look elsewhere. ALso depends on how serious you plan on going. If you are doing AutoX's and want something to keep you butt in the seat better without giving up too much comfort for everyday driving, these might not be bad, but they are still not SFI certified, so you don't know what they will do in a wreck.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:32 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only SFI seat certification is for Stock Car Type Seats (39.1 and 39.2). 39.1 is the same as the newest FIA Advanced Racing Seat certification 8862.2009. For a seat without a back brace mounted to a roll cage the FIA 8855-1999 certification is good. You must also mount the seat using the side or bottom brackets supplied by the seat manufacturer to retain SFI or FIA certification.

The seats linked above are probably less safe then the factory OEM seats. The web site doesn't mention safety or safety testing.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Lightning Guy

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Part of the OEM engineering also toward making sure the seat reacts in accordance with the unibody in case of wreck or impact. just stuffing a reclining aftermarket seat into a car that it was not enigneered for is probably not the smartest idea, though many of us have done it, including myself.

The next step wpuld be a fixed back seat, but I would NOT recommend that without improved rollover protection and 5 point harnesses or better.

Again, this is the rough and tumble sub-forum, I am not talking about street driving, but track/autoX where you are driving towards the limit and where you can run out of talent and pavement at the same time, quite often.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:26 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,290 Likes on 1,650 Posts

Its not a fixed bucket race seat, this thread need to be moved to the Exterior and interior section
Old 09-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Seats are a SAFETY item, above all else. After safety has been considered, then you can think about looks. The guys above me have already mentioned that.

If you're looking for a seat that looks amazing, and is safe, take a look at STÄTUS Racing, or Bride. Sparco, Momo, and Corbeau also make nice seats although I don't think they look as great as Bride or STÄTUS.

If you're looking for a seat that's SAFE, and looks aren't as important, OMP makes some nice seats. OMP seats are affordable, too. They're used in Indy Car, WRC, and countless other race series'.

We actually have the OMP Eco for $399. Check out our OMP seats here:
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/a...P+seat&x=0&y=0
Old 09-07-2011, 12:32 PM
IslandZavage

thanks for all the input. I will not be using these seats if thier not rated for what i want. Looks arent what im after, i need functionality/performance....
Old 09-14-2011, 11:47 AM
joepro

I do not race, but just ordered a set of these, based on other reviews and price obviously. According to Cipher(via a post on another forum) the company that manufactures the seats also manufactures them for this company in Australia, who had them test and pass the ADR test. That to me if good enough for a DD, at least I hope!

picture of the frame which is said to be 1.5mm thick tubing.

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...ad.php?t=41895