Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Which tire wears the fastest?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 09:37 PM
solidfish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which tire wears the fastest?

I'm trying to determine which tire is wearing the fastest on my setup at track. I think its the front right but hoping the experts could chime in.

I'm running 245/40/18 all around square. The track I goto is mostly left turns. My suspension setup is near stock, minus eibach springs which give minimal drop and some negative camber.

It seems the front-right tire is wearing the fastest. But the remaining 3 look to be the same. Which tire would be expected to wear the fastest? And which tire would be expect to wear the slowest?

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2011, 10:17 PM
jnathan68

Originally Posted by solidfish
I'm trying to determine which tire is wearing the fastest on my setup at track. I think its the front right but hoping the experts could chime in.

I'm running 245/40/18 all around square. The track I goto is mostly left turns. My suspension setup is near stock, minus eibach springs which give minimal drop and some negative camber.

It seems the front-right tire is wearing the fastest. But the remaining 3 look to be the same. Which tire would be expected to wear the fastest? And which tire would be expect to wear the slowest?

Thanks!
If mostly left turns, all else being equal, right front should wear faster.

Could also be an alignment/suspension issue causing the wear.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:38 AM
Lightning Guy

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

what part of the tire is wearing, outside edge, inside edge, feathering?

pictures of tires would help.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:53 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,309 Likes on 1,663 Posts

On a track with mostly turns in one direction will wear out the outside tire faster, that is where tire rotation comes into play if you frequent that track a lot. Tracks with a bunch of really slow corners like to wear out rear tires (especially with a VLSD or open diff)

Willow kills your left side tires
Autoclub kills the rt tires (due to the high speed and how long you are turning at that speed)
Vegas classis course kills your LT side tires.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:39 AM
BPRacer

Rotate!!!
Old 10-20-2011, 05:48 AM
Lightning Guy

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

are you still runing stock alignment too?
Old 10-20-2011, 06:07 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Many are right...it really depends on the track/course.

AT RR it's my DF, at VIR it' seems to be my LR (thanks to T1 and T11), and CMP it's LF and RF...and so on.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:43 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're wearing your front tires racing a 350Z then you're not on the gas enough. Generally the rear tires will go away/wear first.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:53 AM
solidfish

Originally Posted by BPRacer
Rotate!!!
Thats exactly why I'm asking the question. I want to rotate my fastest wearing tire to the least wearing corner.

Originally Posted by Lightning Guy
are you still runing stock alignment too?
I dont have much camber correction, so its about -1 to -2 for all corners. Otherwise, toe is straight.

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
If you're wearing your front tires racing a 350Z then you're not on the gas enough. Generally the rear tires will go away/wear first.
Ya, this is what I thought! I think I'm going to rotate the FR to the FL for now. I'm afraid to put it in the rear cause I thought those should be wearing faster.

John - would you know which side of the tire would be expected to wear faster? I dont have much negative camber and I mostly run the left turn heavy track. From my readings I have a slightly more inner wear. I'm running RE01 at about 33-34 hot. Does my wear sound right to you?

Much thanks for all the good inputs!
Old 10-20-2011, 12:48 PM
TehkMob

I think logically if its a course with alot of hard braking into left turns your RF would wear the fastest and your LR would have the least wear, but the latter really depends on your diff. (open, 1.5, 2.0 Welded) along with your turning and exiting habits. So its hard to guess whats going to have the least amount or wear.

Also, An alignment would be a good thing to get either way, The front tie rods aren't the greatest for holding the toe setting as the rest of the OEM alignment. If you're dropped even a little the toe could have a pretty drastic effect on your tire wear under hard driving. remember when you turning left you right side alignment changes under load, so at speed and full suspension compression, you could be out as far as -2 to -3 camber and toe out 1.5 to 3 degrees.. there's a lot of variables to look at when it come to suspension geometry vs tire wear under load and unsprung.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:39 PM
solidfish

ya, I know there are a lot of factors to this so I'm just trying to get a general idea. Again, only 1 of 4 tires are worn slightly more so just trying to find the best corner for it.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:19 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like you need an asymmetric alignment on your car. As far as tire rotation, just do a front to back. If you want to save you tires on the track, brake in a straight line and enter the corner slower. Squeeze on the gas coming out and don't induce understeer.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:30 PM
SE5spd

Are you talking about your genusis?
Old 10-25-2011, 01:21 PM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this vehicle corner balanced? Have you increased weight in the rear or have you dropped weight? Weight is another crucial factor in tires and how they function & wear.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:38 PM
Fluid1

What track are you on? Simulate it on Forza 4.

You think I'm kidding.

John is likely correct, check out a NASCAR setup for a circle track, raked to one side.