Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

anyone using 370Z akebono 14'' brake kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 09:57 AM
FORZWIN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stolly08
Thanks for the info on Ake's vs HR BC that's what I have.... I'm getting my car ready for the dragon this year and am about dead set on the Ake's I have 500hp so I deff need that extra braking so I'm excited to get these with some Carbotech XP8 or 10s can't make up my mind which tho....? I plan to track.... money isn't an issue on my choice of pads I just don't want to over do it and end up screwing myself.....
I think it depends more on how frequently and under what conditions the car is used. For instance, a weekend car that spends most of its time on track with limited street use could get by with a more aggressive pad. On the other hand, a car that is taken on road trips and weekend cruises would be better suited to a more streetable pad.

I street drive the cobalt pads every once in a while (I have a DD) and they are pretty loud, aggressive and not very friendly to my wheels; meaning if left overnight after a hard day of breaking, expect to find the dust has rusted on your wheels . I would highly recommend a separate set of pads/rotors for street/track. I've heard good things about Carbotech's, I ran a set of xp12's on my original calipers, though they were much too small to cope with the heft of the Z and I burned through a set in a HPDE weekend. Call up the folks at Carbotech and see what they recommend per your vehicle and its routine, they are pretty easy to talk to.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:57 PM
DaveSB

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have them on front and rear. Running the DBA5000 2 piece front and OE rear rotors, XP8s up front with HPS rears. Also Motul 5.1 fluid and stainless lines. I've ran 5 auto-xs and a couple track days with no issue. My instructor at Mid-O said he thought my brakes may be been better than the ones on his 911 track only car.
I'm debating on spending the coin on two piece rears, seems like the only company making them is Racing Brake and they're $500 each. Also just bought a set of BF-G R1-S, so this year should put the brakes to the test. I think I'll be switching to XP-10 f and XP-8 rear as my current set-up is wearing thin.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:08 PM
Naut

What's the general consensus for OEM Brembos vs OEM Akebono's for track/HPDE/roadcourse?
I keep hearing this a lot when it comes to these two :
IMHO, your Brembo's are as good if not the better setup, stick with what you have.
Brembos
front - 324mm x 30mm (12.8" x 1.18")
rear - 322mm x 22mm (12.7" x 0.87")

Akebonos
front - 355mm x 32mm (14.0" x 1.26")
rear - 350mm x 20mm (13.8" x 0.79")

Thermal capacity is obvious, but the biggest downside of the Akebono's is the huge weight of the system and a lesser pad selection. But assuming a similar track capable pad like Carbotech XP12/10s on both, will the Akebono's come out ahead?

I'm trying to make a similar decision to what the OP asked and thinking if I should go from my 06+ setup to Brembos (hardly seems worth it, 12.7x1.10 --> 12.8x1.18 in the front) or will the Akebono's be significantly better on track.

I've also considered that aftermarket like Wilwood, Stoptech, AP Racing, etc will be superior to both of these setups, but I like the availability of cheap blank rotors typical of OEM setups since I'll be chewing through them anyway.

Last edited by Naut; 03-10-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:42 AM
cjgardas

Has anyone every had the rotors warp on them? Mine are showing all the symptoms of warped rotors. I have tracked the car a few times in a big track so I don't know if I got the rotors to hot or what.