Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Orange 74 STU Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 01:56 AM
cbax

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Does unplugging the yaw sensor disables the system that prompts "ice-mode"?

You're specifically allowed to unplug the yaw sensor in Street. That carries over to STU, right?
The following users liked this post:
subasti05 (03-10-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 12:01 PM
hajwoj

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanH
Still, I don't think we've seen over 61mph (SoloStorm GPS) on any tire, and the 285 RS-3 feels a little taller than the 275 RE71R.

Another thing to consider is 19" rears will add rake, so adjust ride heights accordingly if you find it oversteers too much. I've thought about it myself but have been too cheap to take the plunge.
Leaning towards the 285/30-18, but a bit worried how much damage that would do to the oil pump gears at 7200rpm (no question is will wear them out quickly, but how quickly). I haven't done data tracking last year, but will this year, and plan to track time above 6800rpm.

Still consider getting another rear set of wheels (19), but like you stated, that is a cash outlay for something I may not use, retuning the suspension, deactivating VDC and still potentially have ABS issues.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:18 PM
christoc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my 03 Enthusiast I had Ice Mode issues, (back in the R-comp days) in stock. The biggest cause back then, was we were running HP+ pads up front, and HPS in the rear. The additional grip in the front (HP+ wasn't available rear) I believe caused the ice mode issues.

We ended up switching to HPS all the way around, and the ice mode issues pretty much went away.

In my 04 (enth) I don't recall ever getting into ice mode.

Not sure on my current 03 (touring), I've effectively got VDC disabled right now because I have the steering angle out of whack, but I'm going to be resetting that this weekend if my tools arrive, so we'll see how she goes after that.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:48 AM
hajwoj

To finish out the suspension, I removed the rear sway bar and kept the stock front. I made my own spherical sway bar links.

Initially I had no idea how the car would work on 285/35-18 square. Most of the weight was removed from the rear. I decided to run a safe setup, since my local Autox is on a disused runway, the course setups are close to the edge, and there are hard things hidden in the grass (if I were to spin out). So initially I had the car raked back. I wanted mild understeer for the first few events and then start dialing that out.

I found the car to have just that, mild understeer in corner entry and mid corner. However, it also had snap oversteer on corner exist. I’ve been slowly increasing the ride height in the rear and slightly softening the dampers in the front to get the car more neutral. My differential is set to 1.5way @60%. I feel like the rears are already set soft.

You can see here (mid video), coming out of the corner, the car just breaks loose (Tires = RS3 v2). I would like that to be more progressive.

This year I hope to continue to improve corner entry and get more progressing oversteer. Softening rear and front rebound maybe one answer. I haven’t made a ton of setup changes since I knew I would switch to the RE71R.

Last edited by hajwoj; 02-26-2016 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:03 AM
Flier129

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Good run! Seems like your car isn't getting too upset over some of those bigger "bumps". It also looks like it transitions pretty damn well, maybe could of held more speed thru the slalom. Though, I know how videos can be deceiving.

I'm also anxiously awaiting to try RE71Rs on my car, but I really need some dump-truck suspension!
Old 02-26-2016, 11:18 AM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Your placement in the last slalom looked pretty good. I think you got robbed on the cone at the 8 second mark. (was that thing in it's box?)

The over-steer (:23) corresponded to a lot of throttle. I know the revs shoot up when the rear breaks traction, but it seemed like too much throttle, too soon, caused the problem at that exit. (Hard to tell from just a video though)

That under-steer on entry seemed more than moderate to me. -reminds me of how stock Z's behave.

Just skimmed the rest of the thread and didn't see alignment settings?

I run about 1/8" toe-in in the back to keep her settled and about 1/8" toe-out up front for turn-in.

Last edited by Z1NONLY; 02-26-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:29 PM
BryanH

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's hard for me to notice the finer details when YouTube has done its processing to remove camera shake. I think it's easier for the human brain to naturally compensate for vibrations rather than the disorienting moves of the processed anti-shake. Having said that, the car does look a little bit on the pushy side with somewhat sudden oversteer on the power.

In my experience from other RWD cars (including my Z32) the rear end may feel more progressive with a small rear sway bar. That should also reduce corner entry understeer. Try it and see - it's an easy change and even the stock bar should make plenty of difference. Sure the rear end will tolerate jabs on the throttle better with no rear bar, but then when it does decide to break loose it does it in more of a hurry. I'd often rather have a more predictable, progressive rear end even if it's more willing to slide initially.

Car sounds really bitchin', btw.
Old 02-27-2016, 03:05 AM
cbax

Nice run! It's 16 deg outside here! dammit

If you keep posting these videos, I'm going to get myself kicked out of Devens. That thing sounds super great.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:40 PM
hajwoj

Thanks for the great feedback everyone. I hope to reply to each of your comments, but my travel schedule has been hell lately. Happy to hear I can go faster!!

I didn't mention, it was in the upper 50F that day and it rained all morning. Heat 1 ran in wet conditions and I was in heat 2 (you can see the puddles). Not ideal with RS3. I only have last years experience with these tires, but it seemed to me they have a narrow temp range where they work well. IDK?

Also, I finally did the brakes this winter. Sadly, I have never replaced the fluid since new, bit embarrassing. I did replace the pads a couple years ago to EBC red for street driving, which were more then enough.

However, after a couple of events, I couldn't get the ABS to engage no matter how hard I pressed the brakes. When I took the pads off, they were super reflective. I think my stomping the brakes completely glazed them.

I know excuses. I wonder how the RE71R and new brakes will transfer weight.

CBAX, here is a Pocono event, enjoy!. Maybe I'm getting old, but the "hey the car sounds like a race car" gets old fast. Keep in mind I don't have a mic on the bumper and the camera's mic is forward facing.

Last edited by hajwoj; 03-01-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:14 PM
hajwoj

Originally Posted by Flier129
Good run! Seems like your car isn't getting too upset over some of those bigger "bumps". It also looks like it transitions pretty damn well, maybe could of held more speed thru the slalom. Though, I know how videos can be deceiving.

I'm also anxiously awaiting to try RE71Rs on my car, but I really need some dump-truck suspension!
I agree, I think the car had more grip when I'm slower and more deliberate with the transitions. I'm usually too fast with my steering because I'm behind in my turn ins.

Still learning, 2015 was my first year autox, other then 1 event in 2014 with my VW.

Waiting for the 285 tire size availability, thought it would be March 1?!?
Old 03-15-2016, 09:48 AM
christoc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hajwoj

Waiting for the 285 tire size availability, thought it would be March 1?!?
TireRack's FB page told me that the first shipment is coming in April, already sold out, but can order for a May shipment. I've got an order on file with a local source, but may double up and order with TR to cover all bases.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:13 AM
cbax

I got my 275/35 RE71Rs yesterday. I didn't want to stress about whether I'd get them if I waited for the 285s and my car came with Nitto Invos that are coming off before my 1st event. The size coming out are going to be 285/30, right? Id love to have a set in 285/35.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:50 PM
hajwoj

Originally Posted by cbax
I got my 275/35 RE71Rs yesterday. I didn't want to stress about whether I'd get them if I waited for the 285s and my car came with Nitto Invos that are coming off before my 1st event. The size coming out are going to be 285/30, right? Id love to have a set in 285/35.
I'm doing the same. Going with 275/35 after all. Don't want to wait till mid May.

How much time will 10mm less gain me?
Old 03-16-2016, 09:47 AM
Flier129

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hajwoj
I'm doing the same. Going with 275/35 after all. Don't want to wait till mid May.

How much time will 10mm less gain me?
Could be a wash because the shorter tire(285/30) could put you on the limiter sooner.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:54 AM
hajwoj

Originally Posted by Z1NONLY
Your placement in the last slalom looked pretty good. I think you got robbed on the cone at the 8 second mark. (was that thing in it's box?)

I run about 1/8" toe-in in the back to keep her settled and about 1/8" toe-out up front for turn-in.
You have good eyes, safe to say I watched that video more then most and never noticed that cone!

I'm pretty good about organizing all my papers and info, but for some reason can't find my alignment document.

The fronts are at 0deg and I asked the rears to be aligned to OEM specs, also measured in degrees. I need to cross reference degrees to linear distance.

Originally the front and rear were both at 3degrees camber. But since that time I played with the ride heights and haven't aligned the car since. Using a deg finder, they are about 3.2 -3.4 front and 2.8 - 2.5 rear.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:13 AM
hajwoj

Well my local region is now strictly enforcing the 96db sound limit. So, until I get my downturn, I modified my silencer.

I was measured at 93db at 50ft, full throttle around 5 - 6000rpm.

I'm going to add a few more holes and enlarge a few to get more flow, less power loss. I wish I had modified it prior to my dyno runs. There's definitely a noticeable performance difference using the silencer.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:22 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

What site?
Old 04-15-2016, 09:24 AM
hajwoj

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
What site?
Philly - Warminster
Old 04-29-2016, 07:56 AM
hajwoj

I was hoping to post my diff and subframe work I did last year, but just can't find the time.

In the last couple months, have finished a custom intake, brembo upgrade, oil pan upgrade, DIY oil catch can, got the car tuned and dyno'd and hoping to get the new Lithium battery installed for this weekends event (my battery finally died).

Hoping to add more camber to the front wheels in the next 2 weeks, then corner balance and alignment (those 2 are optimistic and unlikely to happen soon)

Old 05-09-2016, 11:22 AM
hajwoj

Getting ready for the Washington DC ProSolo this weekend. Last 2 local events were in the cold and wet northeast. Super fun when in the car. After the Pro, I'll mod the control arms to hopefully give me -3.5degs of camber. I'll add toe out to the front and see how that works.

Saturdays event, morning run.

Quick Reply: Orange 74 STU Build